P1000 my eps over heated today!

evildoctor

evildoctor

May 2, 2016
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok so I finally took my 1000 eps out today for some real driving other than just up and down my street...lol

Within 15-20 min. into the ride, it was over heating. The temp. gauge was at max high and a red warning light came on. I immediately turn her off and what was to follow was coolant pooring out of the over flow tank. Long story short, I found out the fan never/doesn't come on at all. Did a quick test on the fan by directly wiring to the battery and yes it works and yes the fuse for the fan is fine which leaves me to believe something is wrong with the temperature sensor that tells the fan to turn on is not working? Has anyone heard or experience this issue? I'll probably take it back to the dealer for them to check out considering it has less than 4 hrs. on it. Thanks in advance for any advice or help....

Reactions: dotman1
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
You are explaining a common issue we have seen on some of the Pioneer's. This is when there is a air bubble trapped inside the line most likely around the pump. Happened to the 700's and 500's.

Unless you just want to take it to your dealer, you should try this.
First, Check to ensure the radiator is full. (or appears to be full). If not fill it up.
Next, Find a way to get the nose up as high as you can. Say like up some ramps onto your truck. Or up a flight of steps on to your porch. Or just a steep hill.
Crank and let it idle it at this angle for a bit. 5-10 mins or so.. but not to the point it overheats.
Lower it back down and see if the radiator level has dropped. Hopefully, you say yes, and by a good bit.
Refill and you should be set.

Other issues is the fan, the ground control wire is off somewhere along the coolant line. I would have to locate that for you.

Please report back.
Thanks.

evildoctor

evildoctor

May 2, 2016
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You are explaining a common issue we have seen on some of the Pioneer's. This is when there is a air bubble trapped inside the line most likely around the pump. Happened to the 700's and 500's.

Unless you just want to take it to your dealer, you should try this.
First, Check to ensure the radiator is full. (or appears to be full). If not fill it up.
Next, Find a way to get the nose up as high as you can. Say like up some ramps onto your truck. Or up a flight of steps on to your porch. Or just a steep hill.
Crank and let it idle it at this angle for a bit. 5-10 mins or so.. but not to the point it overheats.
Lower it back down and see if the radiator level has dropped. Hopefully, you say yes, and by a good bit.
Refill and you should be set.

Other issues is the fan, the ground control wire is off somewhere along the coolant line. I would have to locate that for you.

Please report back.
Thanks.

Thanks for the quick reply, the long story part I left out is that I did the bubble check. I made sure the system was free from air being trapped. I then ran it with the fan hard wired to the battery for a few hours without further issues which lead me to believe there is something wrong with whatever it is that tells the fan to kick on when the system reaches a certain temp. Any idea if this is a simple fix?

evildoctor

evildoctor

May 2, 2016
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
There is one wire that controls the fan. Is on a ground trigger switch sensor.
I'll have to check tomorrow..

Night.

Ok, thanks...if its a simple fix I prefer to do it myself even though its still under warranty. Even though I've opted for the extended/full coverage, I like working on my own stuff if its simple enough or if it isn't gonna be an expensive fix.

tig

tig

Apr 22, 2015
Wasn't there another guy on here that had a similar thing happen and it turned out that his fan just wan't plugged in completely?

Reactions: evildoctor
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wasn't there another guy on here that had a similar thing happen and it turned out that his fan just wan't plugged in completely?

I recall the same.........just wasn't plugged in good.

Reactions: evildoctor
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
This box, located under your seat is the fan control box.
40dfb9f847a67ce1ce59b6bd44dddb57

Here is the wire structure for it to test.
2b13055b43056d8341d90e2732f7f4bf

evildoctor

evildoctor

May 2, 2016
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I ended up taking it into the dealer yesterday. So....yes, indeed its exactly what they've discovered. The plug under the driver's seat was not plugged in all the way. Matter of fact, they alerted Honda and let them know that this could be a potential issue during assembly at tge factory. Thank you to all that replied and helped.

advertisement
TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok so I finally took my 1000 eps out today for some real driving other than just up and down my street...lol

Within 15-20 min. into the ride, it was over heating. The temp. gauge was at max high and a red warning light came on. I immediately turn her off and what was to follow was coolant pooring out of the over flow tank. Long story short, I found out the fan never/doesn't come on at all. Did a quick test on the fan by directly wiring to the battery and yes it works and yes the fuse for the fan is fine which leaves me to believe something is wrong with the temperature sensor that tells the fan to turn on is not working? Has anyone heard or experience this issue? I'll probably take it back to the dealer for them to check out considering it has less than 4 hrs. on it. Thanks in advance for any advice or help....
A friend of mine purchased a p 1000 before I bought mine. He told me a similar story but when he got to looking there was never a fan installed! Is that crazy or what? Needless to say when I picked mine up the first thing I looked for was a cooling fan.LOL

Reactions: sharp
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Both my 700 and 1000 acessorie plug wasn't plugged in when I got them home!

Reactions: dotman1
evildoctor

evildoctor

May 2, 2016
NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
WOW, I think someone is sleeping on the job at the factory. LOL

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!