P1000 Need To Replace the Bolts on the Door Hinges 1000-5

D

dfrasier88

Oct 18, 2023
Granville, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello All,

I have searched this forum up and down and couldn't find a definitive answer.

I have a 2016 Pioneer 1000-5

Can somebody please tell me what bolts to get to replace the s***ty ones for the front door hinges. I had to take the doors off to replace the front fender and stripped two of the bolts and I want to replace them with something stronger that won't strip.

Is this something I can pick up at my hardware store, or is it some special thread or size? Please Help.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Hello All,

I have searched this forum up and down and couldn't find a definitive answer.

I have a 2016 Pioneer 1000-5

Can somebody please tell me what bolts to get to replace the s***ty ones for the front door hinges. I had to take the doors off to replace the front fender and stripped two of the bolts and I want to replace them with something stronger that won't strip.

Is this something I can pick up at my hardware store, or is it some special thread or size? Please Help.
You stripped the bolt threads? Or just the heads? The latter hapepened to me. They are sh*t bolts.

I would suggest at least a Metric Class 8.8 (similar to SAE Grade 5) strength bolt. I used stainless steel.

I don't recall the exact size (M8 flange?), but they are a standard metric size.

I took the old bolt with me to the hardware store. They have a display with all different sized male and female threads where you can screw the bolt (or nut) into (or onto) the display and determine the exact thread - then just get the same length.

If they don't have a display, just thread YOUR bolt into different size metric nuts (at the store) and figure out what the thread is ... then just buy the same length.

FYI: Honda OEM part number is 90109-GS9-610 - but don't pay $7-8 each.

Last edited:
D

dfrasier88

Oct 18, 2023
Granville, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You stripped the bolt threads? Or just the heads? The latter hapepened to me. They are sh*t bolts.

I would suggest at least a Metric Class 8.8 (similar to SAE Grade 5) strength bolt. I used stainless steel.

I don't recall the exact size (M8 flange?), but they are a standard metric size.

I took the old bolt with me to the hardware store. They have a display with all different sized male and female threads where you can screw the bolt (or nut) into (or onto) the display and determine the exact thread - then just get the same length.

If they don't have a display, just thread YOUR bolt into different size metric nuts (at the store) and figure out what the thread is ... then just buy the same length.
Yeah just the heads. Pissed me off yesterday. Turned a 5 minute project into a 30 minute one because I had to drill one of the bolts out partially and use a regular screwdriver to twist it out (not sure how that worked but it did lol )

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Yeah just the heads. Pissed me off yesterday. Turned a 5 minute project into a 30 minute one because I had to drill one of the bolts out partially and use a regular screwdriver to twist it out (not sure how that worked but it did lol )
I had an old SAE socket that was just *slightly* smaller than the stripped head on the bolts. Pounded it on there and got them off.

nohomo

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The bolts are special.
They do not meet the JIS standard for flange head cap screws.
I want to say it is a 10mm head on M8 thread.
The JIS standard calls out a 12mm head on M8 thread.
I have an assortment of the below in stock. They are what I used when mine stripped the heads.

D

dfrasier88

Oct 18, 2023
Granville, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The bolts are special.
I have an assortment of the below in stock. They are what I used when mine stripped the heads.

View attachment 408125
This was wildly helpful. Thank you. I picked up some new ones, and as you said they're no longer 10mm but 12mm.

Thank you!!!!

Reactions: TxDoc and ChadD
S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
I replaced mine when it was new while replacing the door bushings with RB3 Bushings. Replaced with Cadmium Plated bolts sourced in our parts department

someguy1313

someguy1313

Mar 5, 2021
SouthEast
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The bolts are special.

View attachment 408125

interesting. can you advise which one you chose? fully/partial threaded? length?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
interesting. can you advise which one you chose? fully/partial threaded? length?
I don't honestly remember which bolt I used. I bought a package of each size. The hinge is thin, so you need a fully threaded bolt. Chances are I used the same length as the Honda bolt.

Reactions: someguy1313

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!