P500 New 520 Arriving -- Accessory Advice

Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious

Mar 13, 2022
Iowa
Ownership

1. 520
Hey all -- new 520 should be arriving any day, and I've been pouring through the wealth of information on this forum regarding builds and modifications. I'm looking for input on the most up to date info given my intended use, as I am trying to decide on initial accessories to purchase from the dealer with a little discount at the time of purchase. I believe they go direct with Super ATV.

For reference, my use will be primarily doing chores around my relatively small rural property with a small amount of timber, and a trip out west for an annual backcountry elk hunt on ATV trails. The 50" requirement is a must for me, and a big reason I went with the 520. I have no intention of doing a ton of trail riding or rocky terrain outside of a hunt trip, and live in the relatively flat midwest. Any input would be greatly appreciated -- list of questions seeking input is below:

- Already decided on an aftermarket glove box and Honda OEM roof, and likely a trigger shield.

- Power steering seems to be a common theme, and leaning towards the Super ATV PS setup -- while I don't have plans for much rough riding, I have a small statured wife and 3 young daughters, so assuming they will appreciate?

- Looking at a winch setup, likely mounting to the stock bumper with a KFI mount to slightly elevate everything a bit -- KFI and Super ATV setups seem to be well regarded? Planning on a rope setup with a rocker switch mounted to the dash -- any other setups I should look at? What size are most people running for the pioneer?

- Necessity of an upgraded skid plate setup and A arm guards given my intended use? Again, not planning on sliding over any boulders, so didn't know if these upgrades were overkill?

- Can't decide on windshield setups -- like the under hood access of the OEM honda windshield, but wasn't impressed with the system at the dealership when I played with it. Super ATV looks good to go, but no under hood access without mods. Also, the literature states they don't recommend towing with it installed -- what's the real world input on this? Just them stating the obvious for liability, or do they legit need to be removed before towing on the interstate? The actual glass windshields are also an option, but they seem a bit overkill for what I'm doing and a bit more expensive. Seems like a compromise regardless of options.

- Tires seem to be a highly discussed option but again, given my use and width restriction, would an upgrade still be worth it with the understanding I want to keep the stock size and wheels? Recommendation given these parameters, and also something that won't destroy the yard?

- Anything else I should I should consider? Lighting and electric will be something I look at after purchase. Torq Locker looks a bit more involved than I am willing to do myself, and again, seems a little much for my intended use.

Again, looking mainly at things to throw on the bill at the dealer for the initial purchase on some higher dollar items. Any advice you guys have would be appreciated -- thanks for reading, and for all of the advice you guys have put out there.

- Austin

Last edited:
LilRedDonkey

LilRedDonkey

Feb 25, 2021
cheesyland
Ownership

1. 500
sounds like a good start if not all you might need for intended use. get some seat time and go from there, you'll get a better idea of other things you need, or don't! and WELCOME!

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
- Already decided on an aftermarket glove box and Honda OEM roof, and likely a trigger shield. Good call!
- Power steering seems to be a common theme, and leaning towards the Super ATV PS setup -- while I don't have plans for much rough riding, I have a small statured wife and 3 young daughters, so assuming they will appreciate? Yasss again good call!

- Looking at a winch setup, likely mounting to the stock bumper with a KFI mount to slightly elevate everything a bit -- KFI and Super ATV setups seem to be well regarded? Planning on a rope setup with a rocker switch mounted to the dash -- any other setups I should look at? What size are most people running for the pioneer? Check out Super Winch too, the synthetic line 4500 uses less amps (when I did research in 2015) and I e used KFI products for winch kit, snow plough top drawer gear.

- Necessity of an upgraded skid plate setup and A arm guards given my intended use? Again, not planning on sliding over any boulders, so didn't know if these upgrades were overkill? yes to A Arm protection.

- Can't decide on windshield setups -- like the under hood access of the OEM honda windshield, but wasn't impressed with the system at the dealership when I played with it. Super ATV looks good to go, but no under hood access without mods. Also, the literature states they don't recommend towing with it installed -- what's the real world input on this? Just them stating the obvious for liability, or do they legit need to be removed before towing on the interstate? The actual glass windshields are also an option, but they seem a bit overkill for what I'm doing and a bit more expensive. Seems like a compromise regardless of options. lotsa choice now I built mine with glass, aluminum Honda clamps.

- Tires seem to be a highly discussed option but again, given my use and width restriction, would an upgrade still be worth it with the understanding I want to keep the stock size and wheels? Recommendation given these parameters, and also something that won't destroy the yard? whatever your choice ensure they are radials, much better ride and handling. Stick to stock size rim and I’d probably do 26” tires (true size), with same size on all 4 corners.

- Anything else I should I should consider? Lighting and electric will be something I look at after purchase. Torq Locker looks a bit more involved than I am willing to do myself, and again, seems a little much for my intended use.

Again, looking mainly at things to throw on the bill at the dealer for the initial purchase on some higher dollar items. Any advice you guys have would be appreciated -- thanks for reading, and for all of the advice you guys have put out there.

- Austin
Response is in green above… cheers on the new rig, as suggested get some seat time, then Mod away..
j

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Welcome from central upstate N.Y
Red was the 1st color all other colors followed Honda hopes they sell

A lot of information & Many good people on the Honda forum AND they LIKE PICTURES

Accessories
Around the property Bone Stock should be fine.
Hunting Trip Comfort Requires some Accessories <> Roof >> Winshield ( HARD COATED or Glass ) <> Back Panel <>

100% Agree <> SEAT TIME is best <> to Find out Acc. Needs.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Welcome to the madness from Nebraska!

I have a small property that we use our P520 on. Mainly pulling down trees, moving mulch and rock... pretty standard stuff. We also take a few booze cruises through the adjoining neighborhoods each week, (weather permitting).

I like the factory hard coat windshield. I've had it for a year and I have towed with it. Seems to be holding up well. I like the vent feature at the bottom and the under hood access. I never really looked seriously at the others, so maybe someone does it better.

I mounted a Warn 45-s to a KFI mount. Pretty much overkill for this little guy, but when I looked at the numbers, it pulled harder than the 35-s but really didn't consume any more power. I like the fact that the synthetic rope makes it lighter.

50" restriction is going to be hard if you want to go larger on your tire choice. Depends on how tight your trails are or if you have to go though 50" gates. The stock fronts are 24 x 8". Even going to a 26 x 9" tire just added an inch to your width on stock wheels. You have to try real hard to keep the width down; most of the buggies you will see on here with aftermarket wheels and larger tires will be somewhere around 52 - 54" wide. Mine is one of those, and on the high end of that. I'm working on reducing the width for the 50ish trails I want to ride. General rule around here is: to go up, you should go out...

My wife and I have big plans to take this out west to enjoy trails in National Forests. To that end, I have purchased:

• SATV power steering
  • Torque locker
  • SATV full skid plate
  • SATV a-arms
  • Elka shocks
  • Trigger Shield
  • Moose 2" receiver hitch
  • EMP roof
  • Honda hard coat windshield
  • RB3 1" spacers for the rear
  • Warn AXS 45-s winch
  • Larger cup holders
  • box glove box
  • Tusk 5+2, 14x7" beadlock wheels
  • Maxxis Bighorn 3.0 27" x 11" x 14" tires
I also have the turn signal kit sold here on the Club Store and some AUX lights by PIAA.

There are other things I will likely add to mine. Radios will likely be next so we can communicate while riding. The Pioneer is a bit loud and I know for sure my wife loves her music, so muffling the sound and providing entertainment while we take longer trail rides is important to us. Once we put the top and windshield on, the interior got significantly louder. The Trigger shield helped some, I suspect a rear panel will help some too.

Not sure where you are in Iowa, but you can always reach out to see what mine drives like in person.

Rob

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Greetings and welcome from Alabama.
Looks like you have been doing your homework thinking about what upgrades you want to add.
As you might imagine, asking for recommendations or advice can be helpful and make your decision more difficult at the same time.

> Trigger Shield is well worth the investment.
> Regarding EPS, from what many on this forum have noted, they seem to be all the same manufacturer with a different label, for instance I purchased the Tusk EPS because it listed less expensive than others. I've had no problems with it, but can't say it's any better than other labels.
> You might also look at the Superwinch LT4000 ATV SR, I like synthetic rope, less chance of a burr catching your hand.
> Windshields - Be sure to get hard coated or glass. My first was not hard coated and it scratched terribly. While glass is more expensive up front, a few advantages: If cracked or broken a glass shop can cut a new windshield to fit the frame. In cold weather, you can scrape windshield with an ice scrapper. No problem towing with windshield on. With most glass windshields you do not need to make any mods to access front hood area.

As others have noted, seat time will give you more experience and a feel of what you need, want and can afford.
Good luck, and be sure to post pictures when you take delivery,

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Welcome. As you are considering a winch, power steering and other electrical additions recommend the oem sub harness for 4 key on power sources for the lower amp uses (max 15 amps including accessory plug use) like for the winch and power steering ”key on power relay”.

Then add at least a 6 guage wire from the battery to the hood, with a switched waterproof breaker inline very close to the battery to provide short protection and a convenient power cut off to your added circuit. This wire will act as an extension of your battery terminal, for your winch and power steering motor plus a junction block/fuse panel if needed for other accessories. I used terminal posts under the hood to create + and - landing points.

Match the circuit breaker amps to the winch max amps, usually in the 200-300 amp range.
Just some examples.
819E63E1 1EFF 4310 82F2 54EE58F25667 9A493679 927E 49FA 8D5E CC25061EB2D1

Last edited:
Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious

Mar 13, 2022
Iowa
Ownership

1. 520
Welcome. As you are considering a winch, power steering and other electrical additions recommend the oem sub harness for 4 key on power sources for the lower amp uses (max 15 amps including accessory plug use) like for the winch and power steering ”key on power relay”.

Then add at least a 6 guage wire from the battery to the hood, with a switched waterproof breaker inline very close to the battery to provide short protection and a convenient power cut off to your added circuit. This wire will act as an extension of your battery terminal, for your winch and power steering motor plus a junction block/fuse panel if needed for other accessories. I used terminal posts under the hood to create + and - landing points.

Match the circuit breaker amps to the winch max amps, usually in the 200-300 amp range.
Just some examples.
View attachment 332585 View attachment 332586
You guys are awesome and continue to impress -- thank you for all the advice. @Mudder thank you for the info on the electrical -- I've been plowing through a few of the build threads, which have some great info on wiring (which I have zero working knowledge of), so the addition of the circuit breaker and posts upfront looks like it will save some headaches down the road. And good call on the sub harness -- I had planned on that, but forgot to include it in my summary. Again, thank you guys for the great info.

G

GPS

Apr 10, 2021
Alabama
Ownership

1. 520
I don't post often as I'm a fairly new owner (last Oct) and not as hardcore or particular as many here. However, I can relate somewhat to your situation (e.g. "50" requirement is a must") and concerns so maybe some of this will be worthwhile.

In addition to the new 520 I had a similar sized utv for about 10 years and a cart (E-Z-Go/Beast) for about 5 years. As expected, I've found the stock 520 has pretty much all the core features and capabilities I've had and need, so never considered major upgrades such as power steering, torq locker, or skid plate. I've transported (hauled in bed of Tundra, never towed) these 3 hundreds of times at up to Interstate speeds with no incident and no problem with windshields (520 has a SuperATV half windshield). Added EMP under hood storage box/tray and simply loosen windshield straps & raise for access.

The 520's primary trait for me is the narrow width and primary use is hunting-related work, basically as a tractor. Stock tires not adequate so researched to find an aggressive design that retained the 50" total width. Purchased ITP XTR 25x8-12 & 25x10-12. (Explanation/details posted previously, somewhere in forum.) Even though listed as 25s the actual height is about 26 thereby adding a little clearance, a lot of traction, and no noticeable "tippyness." Very pleased with the tires and ITP but these will not be lawn-friendly.

Will be installing a 3,000 lb winch on KFI mount shortly. Previously added EMP roof, MFG Supply 2" hitch, Crossroads glove box, and several misc bags for storage. Hope some of this is relevant and happy to elaborate if needed.

Last edited:
T Bone

T Bone

Mar 30, 2021
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. 500
Hey all -- new 520 should be arriving any day, and I've been pouring through the wealth of information on this forum regarding builds and modifications. I'm looking for input on the most up to date info given my intended use, as I am trying to decide on initial accessories to purchase from the dealer with a little discount at the time of purchase. I believe they go direct with Super ATV.

For reference, my use will be primarily doing chores around my relatively small rural property with a small amount of timber, and a trip out west for an annual backcountry elk hunt on ATV trails. The 50" requirement is a must for me, and a big reason I went with the 520. I have no intention of doing a ton of trail riding or rocky terrain outside of a hunt trip, and live in the relatively flat midwest. Any input would be greatly appreciated -- list of questions seeking input is below:

- Already decided on an aftermarket glove box and Honda OEM roof, and likely a trigger shield.

- Power steering seems to be a common theme, and leaning towards the Super ATV PS setup -- while I don't have plans for much rough riding, I have a small statured wife and 3 young daughters, so assuming they will appreciate?

- Looking at a winch setup, likely mounting to the stock bumper with a KFI mount to slightly elevate everything a bit -- KFI and Super ATV setups seem to be well regarded? Planning on a rope setup with a rocker switch mounted to the dash -- any other setups I should look at? What size are most people running for the pioneer?

- Necessity of an upgraded skid plate setup and A arm guards given my intended use? Again, not planning on sliding over any boulders, so didn't know if these upgrades were overkill?

- Can't decide on windshield setups -- like the under hood access of the OEM honda windshield, but wasn't impressed with the system at the dealership when I played with it. Super ATV looks good to go, but no under hood access without mods. Also, the literature states they don't recommend towing with it installed -- what's the real world input on this? Just them stating the obvious for liability, or do they legit need to be removed before towing on the interstate? The actual glass windshields are also an option, but they seem a bit overkill for what I'm doing and a bit more expensive. Seems like a compromise regardless of options.

- Tires seem to be a highly discussed option but again, given my use and width restriction, would an upgrade still be worth it with the understanding I want to keep the stock size and wheels? Recommendation given these parameters, and also something that won't destroy the yard?

- Austin
I for a upgrade on the stock bumper from Honda. It has brush guards for the lights. If you are going through a lot of brush with it. Also got the Honda top.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
It may be overkill for your riding terrain, but for my woods riding, the Strongmade front bumper has survived some tree bumps and serves as a stout winch mount on top. The tube over the winch has been a welcomed hand hold when winching out of mudholes. Got the similar design on my ACE.
FB8900C9 D021 4073 A801 0663444EE61B 6159153F 121B 4F24 BB19 E1CC38EAE567

R

RiThomp70

Jan 24, 2019
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. 500

3. 1000-3
Welcome from a WI neighbor. I’ve found no better forum to HELP u spend ur money. Once you have ur 520 and ride a bit u will sort out the accessories that suit ur needs best. I’m typically a stalker of this forum and rarely post but felt compelled as it sounds as if we have very similar uses for our Honda SxS’s. I have an 80 acre farm (timber and crop ground) I utilize for hunting, general maintenance and also make an annual elk hunting voyage to CO. I have a 2018 P500. I very much appreciate my UTV 801 Glass windshield for them frosty mornings when scraping was required and nice flip up vent system for those hot and dusty dog days of summer, OEM Honda roof, 8” LED light bar on the front, cube light for rear loading and recoveries, 2” moose receiver, VERY much recommend EPS I have (SATV), on the following 2 points. I mowed with my swisher pull behind mower at slow speeds and 1 elk hunting trip w/o PS. Slow speed turning and taking the feedback out of rocks is absolutely amazing difference with PS. Honda upgraded bumper primary for a little extra headlight protection in the brush, Warn 35-S (synthetic cable) winch, primarily because I also plow snow with this machine as well. Last year finally decided I had gotten enough wear out of the OEM Maxis 24” and went with 25” Sedona Buzzsaw (radial) with 1” RB3 spacer…I know pushing it on the 50” limits, but the ride quality and increased clearance was extremely welcomed.

Note - If u decide on installing PS, that may make the underwood storage compartment a non-issue as the mounting of the PS unit takes up a little more real estate under the hood.

I’ve also towed my 500 with the windshield on between WI and CO, only issue so far has been a need for glass cleaner as there sure are a lot of bugs that lost in those 1,400 miles 😂

Good luck and enjoy ur new machine 👍

Austin Tatious

Austin Tatious

Mar 13, 2022
Iowa
Ownership

1. 520
Welcome from a WI neighbor. I’ve found no better forum to HELP u spend ur money. Once you have ur 520 and ride a bit u will sort out the accessories that suit ur needs best. I’m typically a stalker of this forum and rarely post but felt compelled as it sounds as if we have very similar uses for our Honda SxS’s. I have an 80 acre farm (timber and crop ground) I utilize for hunting, general maintenance and also make an annual elk hunting voyage to CO. I have a 2018 P500. I very much appreciate my UTV 801 Glass windshield for them frosty mornings when scraping was required and nice flip up vent system for those hot and dusty dog days of summer, OEM Honda roof, 8” LED light bar on the front, cube light for rear loading and recoveries, 2” moose receiver, VERY much recommend EPS I have (SATV), on the following 2 points. I mowed with my swisher pull behind mower at slow speeds and 1 elk hunting trip w/o PS. Slow speed turning and taking the feedback out of rocks is absolutely amazing difference with PS. Honda upgraded bumper primary for a little extra headlight protection in the brush, Warn 35-S (synthetic cable) winch, primarily because I also plow snow with this machine as well. Last year finally decided I had gotten enough wear out of the OEM Maxis 24” and went with 25” Sedona Buzzsaw (radial) with 1” RB3 spacer…I know pushing it on the 50” limits, but the ride quality and increased clearance was extremely welcomed.

Note - If u decide on installing PS, that may make the underwood storage compartment a non-issue as the mounting of the PS unit takes up a little more real estate under the hood.

I’ve also towed my 500 with the windshield on between WI and CO, only issue so far has been a need for glass cleaner as there sure are a lot of bugs that lost in those 1,400 miles 😂

Good luck and enjoy ur new machine 👍
@RiThomp70 Thanks for taking the time to reply -- you validated a lot of what I was thinking and sounds like a similar accessory setup to what I was thinking. I'm pouring over all the electrical threads trying to figure out the best wiring setups, seems like under the hood is the way to go. That, plus the power steering, and I agree, sounds like the concerns over a windshield preventing access for storage might be a non-issue if it turns into a mechanical / electrical area. Again, I appreciate the insight -- you guys are awesome.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!