P700 New 700-4: Need advice on accessories and add-ons

BigEarlX4

BigEarlX4

Jul 23, 2020
St. Helen, MI
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon X4 LV
Some things of mine I have used - The factory roof and factory 1/4" HMPE skid plate that they offer are the only things that I purchased. The rest I was able to find aftermarket cheaper and better. I ended up selling my factory roof because it was too high and bulky for my riding. I went with a soft top from Shy Bull Farms and love it. It goes on and off in a couple minutes. I had a poly windshield and hated it, as it got scratched to easily from brush on the trails. I went with an EMP glass windshield with wiper and love it, as it is like a Jeep windshield. The winch is a Harbor Freight Badlands 5000lb, which now they also offer the Apex 5500lb. Have used it for many years and never let me down. After I installed my portals, I had to get a front bumper to help hold down the front-end from coming up while climbing hills. (Its a torque monster) The bumper is a EMP as well and keeps the winch up on top out of the mud and water and is easily accessible. I love my 700-4 and it is worth all the money I have invested. I do a lot of road riding around home and rocky, mountainous trails in WV and TN where we go riding and it does amazing. I hope you enjoy yours when you get it as much as we have ours.

KIMG0192

F

Freep

Mar 10, 2022
Duvall, WA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Some things of mine I have used - The factory roof and factory 1/4" HMPE skid plate that they offer are the only things that I purchased. The rest I was able to find aftermarket cheaper and better. I ended up selling my factory roof because it was too high and bulky for my riding. I went with a soft top from Shy Bull Farms and love it. It goes on and off in a couple minutes. I had a poly windshield and hated it, as it got scratched to easily from brush on the trails. I went with an EMP glass windshield with wiper and love it, as it is like a Jeep windshield. The winch is a Harbor Freight Badlands 5000lb, which now they also offer the Apex 5500lb. Have used it for many years and never let me down. After I installed my portals, I had to get a front bumper to help hold down the front-end from coming up while climbing hills. (Its a torque monster) The bumper is a EMP as well and keeps the winch up on top out of the mud and water and is easily accessible. I love my 700-4 and it is worth all the money I have invested. I do a lot of road riding around home and rocky, mountainous trails in WV and TN where we go riding and it does amazing. I hope you enjoy yours when you get it as much as we have ours.

You're choices and situation are very close to mine, BigEarl.

I got the factory roof and street legal kit. I am now looking at windshields. I am constantly winding up with branches in the cab with me, so I want something to guide them over the top of the roof. I want a split poly, but I realize I would scratch it up within a few days, so I am looking at glass windshields, none of which flip up... and so, the best alternate to that is one that's easy to remove, so I am looking at that EMP. So, a few questions:

Is it really as easy too remove as they say it is?
Did you have it while you also had the factory roof? It seems a lot of these windshields don't work well with the factory roof.
Can you still install accessories around the front part of the roll cage tubes (i.e., side mirrors, etc)?

While looking at that EMP windshield, I also eyeballed that bumper with the winch mount. Looks awesome, but I wonder if having the winch mount up high like that presents any problems in terms of potential tipping. It seems like having it lower might make for better applied physics, but then I have never used one on a SxS, so it may not be a problem at all.

Reactions: livefromthetree
BigEarlX4

BigEarlX4

Jul 23, 2020
St. Helen, MI
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon X4 LV
You're choices and situation are very close to mine, BigEarl.

I got the factory roof and street legal kit. I am now looking at windshields. I am constantly winding up with branches in the cab with me, so I want something to guide them over the top of the roof. I want a split poly, but I realize I would scratch it up within a few days, so I am looking at glass windshields, none of which flip up... and so, the best alternate to that is one that's easy to remove, so I am looking at that EMP. So, a few questions:

Is it really as easy too remove as they say it is?
Did you have it while you also had the factory roof? It seems a lot of these windshields don't work well with the factory roof.
Can you still install accessories around the front part of the roll cage tubes (i.e., side mirrors, etc)?

While looking at that EMP windshield, I also eyeballed that bumper with the winch mount. Looks awesome, but I wonder if having the winch mount up high like that presents any problems in terms of potential tipping. It seems like having it lower might make for better applied physics, but then I have never used one on a SxS, so it may not be a problem at all.
Yes the EMP windshield works with the factory roof. You still have the crossbar and able to mount stuff on it. I have a rear view mirror and tablet mount for GPS. I have side mirrors mounted with no issue as well. It is very simple to remove if need be, it just has 4 knob wing bolts and comes right off. It has the clamp mounts that you install on the side bars, then the windshield mounts to the clamps using the 4 knob wing bolts. The bumper does not make it top heavy at all, as the winch is no higher than your lap. Mounting things on your roof or high on the rops cage would make it more prone to being top heavy. After installing the portals, I cut 3 front,5 middle and 6 rear off my cage, so now with the 4" portals and 30" tires, I'm more than a 1/2" shorter than I was factory height new.

S

Scott2742

Jun 21, 2022
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 1000-5
Awesome advice - I've already crossed a few things off my from-the-dealer list, which feels very good considering the 'extra freight charge' they are passing on to me. Will definitely send pics!

Looking forward to hear more if anyone has additional advice.
I really appreciated your questions, sir, as I am about to buy a Brown Molasses 700-4 and was wondering about the same mods you were. Thanks, too, to all the fine folks that have spent time giving you their recommendations. I will spend my time in the Northern Arizona National Forests enjoying the scenery and taking photos of Arizona wildlife, especially the wild horses. Thanks for sharing!

livefromthetree

livefromthetree

It was a damn good ride. Seriously good.
Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2020
Mount Vernon Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I really appreciated your questions, sir, as I am about to buy a Brown Molasses 700-4 and was wondering about the same mods you were. Thanks, too, to all the fine folks that have spent time giving you their recommendations. I will spend my time in the Northern Arizona National Forests enjoying the scenery and taking photos of Arizona wildlife, especially the wild horses. Thanks for sharing!

Just remember pics are a requirement!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!