New..ish 700-4

B

BadDog

Mar 31, 2014
Michigan
Picking up a green 700-4 with 13 hours on it. No accessories installed yet. I'll be reading up on whats available. First things will be a trailer, roof and windshield. Our roads are salted in the winter so I'm looking at either an enclosed trailer, possibly a galvanized or aluminum utility trailer. What size trailer do you guys recommend? I also would like some suggestions on a windshield and roof. Thanks in advance.

fishin2Dmax

fishin2Dmax

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2013
Utah
If it's only got 13 hours on it and it has been maintained, it should be like new.

I went with a 7' x 12' trailer and while I could have gotten by with a smaller 6' x 10', for the small difference in cost, I'm really glad I went with the slightly larger trailer. The key for good towing is locating the trailers "sweet spot" (find the balance point) when placing the Pioneer on the trailer.

My accessories priorities went in this order:
1, Roof (one piece solid from Honda)
2, Wench (4000 lb)
3, Warn Plow 72"
3, Upgraded wheels & tires -upgrade those fugly steel wheels to alloy
4, Front and Rear windshield -temporary vinyl type - low cost
5, Hard coated front split front windshield - rear clear vinyl works great to keep dust off passengers
6, 30 " LED light bar
7, Stereo system & street legal kit ( turn signals)
8, New loan for even more add-on's :lol:

B

BadDog

Mar 31, 2014
Michigan
Brought home my Pioneer today. I ended up purchasing an Aluma 7712H BT trailer.

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
Baddog how do you like the 7712H. What does the BT stand for. Is it the tilt model?. I'm going to pick up a 7712H next Sat. It comes with a one piece tailgate but the more I think about it I think I will spend the $200 more and get the bifold gate. How do you tie down your pioneer? Did you have the tie down rings installed, wrap around the rail or use the stake pockets? I wish this model would have had tie downs already installed like some of their other models.

B

BadDog

Mar 31, 2014
Michigan
The trailer I purchased does not tilt. Mine came with the bi-fold gate.. I think the BT designates 'Bi-fold Tailgate'. It has four mounting rings in the deck. They are positioned so the wheels are centered when it's loaded. So far so good, but there is not much room for a storage box on the 12' bed.

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
Badog ,thanks for the info. were the tie downs there from the factory?

T

The Wire

Jan 12, 2014
I have the Aluma 7712H BT for my Pioneer. http://hondasxs.com/general-pioneer-discussion-f47/impressed-new-pioneer-owner-t1166.html I got it that size so the Pioneer would fit if I had tracks on it. The trailer has a low rail on it, which does just as good as deck rings. I bought a set of loop straps 51wfWATv2xL SX425 and 2 heavy duty carabiners. I pull the Pioneer up on the trailer, loop a set of straps around the right and left bumper and a set of straps around the front trailer rail. I connect the left side loops with a carabiner and the right side loops with the other. I then put the Pioneer in reverse to take up the slack and put 2 ratchet straps to the Pioneers hitch and connected to the back of the trailer rail with 2 more loop straps. The good thing about the loop straps and carabiners is they are not going to fall off even if things loosen up. (FYI the pictures of my P4 on the trailer are before I came up with the loop strap idea.)

T

The Wire

Jan 12, 2014
Also, My trip home with the empty trailer was loud. The play between the draw bar and the receiver along with the light trailer made for a LOT of rattling. This hitch tightener locks the draw bar to the receiver and got rid of 95% of the noise. 31Nd1o34d5L SX425 Google "StowAway Hitch Tightener"

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
Wire, Thanks for the info. I was thinking about doing the same thing you did with the short loop straps. I will pick some up after I get the trailer home this weekend. It will be a lot cheaper than buying 4 stainless tie down D rings and installing them.

advertisement
Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
Baddog,I haven't seen the trailer I bought in person ( just pics on the web) but I didn't see any tie down rings on it. the brochure I got lists them as an option. I wonder if your dealer ordered your trailer with the d ring options. I called my dealer yesterday to see if he had a7712hbt on hand and he did so for $200 more I decided to go with the bi fold tailgate. Thanks for the reply.

B

BadDog

Mar 31, 2014
Michigan
Elk hunter and Wire,
After a couple trips across the state I want to add a trailer tongue storage box. The tongue on the Aluma needs to be modified to accept a tool box. The center support is higher than the angled supports. I'm thinking of adding the $150 aluminum box from Home Depot.....I'm just not sure how I'll go about it.

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
BadDog,Can you buy a couple if short pieces of aluminum tubing to put on top of the angled side braces to raise them up to the same height as the tongue? (If the box is long enough to go across the side braces.)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!