Not shifting gears

J

jessicagoble1982

Jul 28, 2024
East ky
Ownership

1. 1000 6 Crew
2023 honda pioneer 1000-6...
Driving today and it overheated, then the clutch light came on. Pulled over, machine died. When it cooled enough to safely restart the machine IT WON'T SHIFT at all. Had to wench it up onto trailer and haul it home. We tried the reset using the gas pedal and the gear shifter trick....didn't do anything. Please help!!

Also, this machine has been serviced when needed and has by no means been abused.

Edited to add...
It has a dash - where the gear is supposed to light up.

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the forum from Texas

1-Can you put it in manual mode and shift to second and forth with paddle shifters?

2-Go to 8 minute mark here

3-have you done the Clutch Relearn procedure?

4-Go to forum search and under topic, put in shift.

5-For later... How to make the DCT transmission Last Longer

Sent from my motorola edge plus 2023 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
2023 honda pioneer 1000-6...
Driving today and it overheated, then the clutch light came on. Pulled over, machine died. When it cooled enough to safely restart the machine IT WON'T SHIFT at all. Had to wench it up onto trailer and haul it home. We tried the reset using the gas pedal and the gear shifter trick....didn't do anything. Please help!!

Also, this machine has been serviced when needed and has by no means been abused.

Edited to add...
It has a dash - where the gear is supposed to light up.
can you Kindly post pics of your machine - need to make sure you are not asking for a friend

need some more detail, what overheated - the engine, the clutch, both

what were you doing when it overheated, just normal riding, stuck in the mud, towing someone, etc

was the dash in the display before or after you tried the relearn

J

jessicagoble1982

Jul 28, 2024
East ky
Ownership

1. 1000 6 Crew
dash was there prior to trying relearn. Relearn didn't work. Dash lights that lit up prior to this happening were clutch light and engine light(wrench). It won't go into manual mode, the at/mt button on dash does nothing now. Regular riding, mostly old coal/strip mine roads in east ky. Had ridden the day before and got pretty muddy, but sprayed it all off when we got home. No heavy pulling/hauling.

Messenger creation 37d13951 59b6 4337 b9c5 15307209ad8f 20240622 144703 20230402 144420 FB IMG 1678933318186

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
dash was there prior to trying relearn. Relearn didn't work. Dash lights that lit up prior to this happening were clutch light and engine light(wrench). It won't go into manual mode, the at/mt button on dash does nothing now. Regular riding, mostly old coal/strip mine roads in east ky. Had ridden the day before and got pretty muddy, but sprayed it all off when we got home. No heavy pulling/hauling.

View attachment 438492 View attachment 438493 View attachment 438494 View attachment 438495
nice machine -- start with basics, have battery tested, check cable connections at battery, inspect wiring harnesses, check everything is snapped in at ECM and of course - check and clean all grounds - use the search bar up top for the ground cleaning topic - has fixed many a machine

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Had ridden the day before and got pretty muddy,
Welcome from Michigan!
That dusty coal stuff sticks hard ( NoHmo) on radiators. I know you said you washed it but you need to get in there and wash that radiator real good, I mean real good! Hot water preferably and soap. Youll be surprised what comes out. You can do a quick search up top on this subject and have your mind 🤯
If you overheat like this with all this multitude of things that come up.
Hopefully thats your only problem and you didnt get further damage

Last edited:
J

john790

Jan 13, 2020
Clinton ohio 44216
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Some times i hate to reply.But i think your bike dont know what gear it is in.If the shifter is in N it should try to find N if it cant it would give the - .In a two clutch system it needs to know what gear it is in all the time if not its going to stall because it dont want to apply two clutches at the same time.

Hello_Darkness

Hello_Darkness

Jun 6, 2024
Just to the right of nowhere
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Some times i hate to reply.But i think your bike dont know what gear it is in.If the shifter is in N it should try to find N if it cant it would give the - .In a two clutch system it needs to know what gear it is in all the time if not its going to stall because it dont want to apply two clutches at the same time.

The neutral indicator on the dash is using the TR sensor in the sub trans to identify range.

It's not showing neutral in the DCT side of the transmission, since that part is never really in "neutral" but in "half neutral" meaning the clutch is disengaged but the both of the mainshafts are engaged to the countershaft.