P1000 Oils

A

Asneary

Jun 28, 2016
Lima, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been reading the oil/dct, sub trans and differential oil change threads and I must say all are great information. I wanted to see what oil everyone is using for each and a pro to it. Getting ready to do my first service on the 1000 and was gonna just use the Honda stuff but wanted to see why someone likes the oil the use and why it's better than the Honda stuff

D

Dasmoeturhead

I use Bel-Ray 10-40 atv trail oil. I used this oil in the engine and subtrans from the 1st service, and it works. I had no doubt that it would. There's nothing special about Honda oil. I'm pretty sure Bel-Ray oil has been around a lot longer than Honda (rebadged) Oil. In fact I've been using Bel-Ray products since the early 70's, on all of my dirt bikes, and some street bikes as well.
I also don't use the Mopar oil in my Cummins diesel either just because they say to. Mopar doesn't make oil either. Shell Rotella T oil in my Cummins. As long as the oil you use is a recommended oil, and meets the specs you will be fine.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I've been reading the oil/dct, sub trans and differential oil change threads and I must say all are great information. I wanted to see what oil everyone is using for each and a pro to it. Getting ready to do my first service on the 1000 and was gonna just use the Honda stuff but wanted to see why someone likes the oil the use and why it's better than the Honda stuff
I've been using Honda oil since I've had my Pioneer 1000-5 got over 1,400 miles with no problems so far.

D

Dasmoeturhead

In the shop I ran for the state of California, the college was mandtated to use as much recycled everything they could. Which included using Firebird HD motor oil. Yes recycled oil in most of the cars,pickups,heavy equipment, and most machinery as long as the oil met the manufactures specs. Would you use re-cycled motor oil? Think about it. Imagine engine failures because of bad oil, and how much that would cost an oil manufacturer. You can bet that oil is so well refined, that the company has no worries about quality. Anyway it worked just fine. Will people shy away from it? Of course they will. I put it to the test for years, and never had an oil related problem. I also serviced the police academy cars, and they get trashed every day. Just a little oil trivia.
Not suggesting to use cheap oil (although firebird hd is not cheap) but just saying other oil company brands can and will work as good as Hondas oil. Who makes Honda oils? I'd like to know.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!