P500 P500 burning oil and smoking

BThompson

BThompson

Supporting Member
Jun 17, 2020
Potlatch Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Hey everyone. I have a 2018 p500 with less than 1000 miles on it (somewhere in the 600 mile range I think) that started smoking really badly. Checked the oil and it was very low. Luckily I carry extra with me so I topped it off and got towed back. No knock in the engine that I can hear but just keeps filling my back yard with blue smoke so it has been parked until I can figure out what to do next. I had just changed the oil and I change the air filter before almost every trip but I had been riding in some very dusty conditions and I am worried that some fine dust got into the engine. Any expertise on what kind of damage I am looking at would be helpful. Thanks

Reactions: Smitty335
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
suggestion

look at intake, throttle body for loose connections and dust on the intake tract

compression test

how many times u change oil and filter on a 600 mile machine

H

HondaTech

Hey everyone. I have a 2018 p500 with less than 1000 miles on it (somewhere in the 600 mile range I think) that started smoking really badly. Checked the oil and it was very low. Luckily I carry extra with me so I topped it off and got towed back. No knock in the engine that I can hear but just keeps filling my back yard with blue smoke so it has been parked until I can figure out what to do next. I had just changed the oil and I change the air filter before almost every trip but I had been riding in some very dusty conditions and I am worried that some fine dust got into the engine. Any expertise on what kind of damage I am looking at would be helpful. Thanks
Are you oiling the filters before installing?

BThompson

BThompson

Supporting Member
Jun 17, 2020
Potlatch Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Yes I have been cleaning them and oiling them. I have like 6 different filters that I rotate through
But there is a chance that maybe I didn't oil enough. I was coating the whole filter and it almost seemed like it was too much. Are you supposed to oil inside and outside the filter? Because I think I may have been oiling just the outside

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Check for dirt in the intake/throttle body and intake port. If you find dirt beyond the air filter, you will need new rings.

BThompson

BThompson

Supporting Member
Jun 17, 2020
Potlatch Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
suggestion

look at intake, throttle body for loose connections and dust on the intake tract

compression test

how many times u change oil and filter on a 600 mile machine
I had only changed it once myself. I bought it used and only put around 100 miles on it. I thought about doing a compression test but I decided that I would let a shop go through it because I don't trust myself

C2Corvette1

C2Corvette1

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2023
Texas
Ownership

1. 520
While you are at it (ring replacement and cylinder bore and piston inspection) be sure to check valves and guides as they can also get rapid wear due to dust injestion.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I had only changed it once myself. I bought it used and only put around 100 miles on it. I thought about doing a compression test but I decided that I would let a shop go through it because I don't trust myself
need pics of machine - this smells real sketchy without pics

has to be more to the story - 6 filters you rotate - I get it, its dusty, so what, where did the dirt actually get in, why 6 filters? need pics of filter on machine when it started blowing smoke

if you oiled the outside completely, imo, perfectly fine, filters actually filter better the dirtier they get - then its a point of not enough air

what you clean filters with? im in no way a mechanic, but end up fixing lotsa machines for friends, amazes me how many air boxes I open up and the air filter foam is disintegrated from god only knows what cleaner

Happy Easter!!!!

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
While you are at it (ring replacement and cylinder bore and piston inspection) be sure to check valves and guides as they can also get rapid wear due to dust injestion.
Generally I have found the valve guides to make it through the first set of rings but, def check them. You don't want to go in twice.

Reactions: Backwoods
BThompson

BThompson

Supporting Member
Jun 17, 2020
Potlatch Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
need pics of machine - this smells real sketchy without pics

has to be more to the story - 6 filters you rotate - I get it, its dusty, so what, where did the dirt actually get in, why 6 filters? need pics of filter on machine when it started blowing smoke

if you oiled the outside completely, imo, perfectly fine, filters actually filter better the dirtier they get - then its a point of not enough air

what you clean filters with? im in no way a mechanic, but end up fixing lotsa machines for friends, amazes me how many air boxes I open up and the air filter foam is disintegrated from god only knows what cleaner

Happy Easter!!!!
I bought a pack of 6 filters that I would use to change every time they got dirty enough that I thought they needed changing. I used a UNI filter cleaning kit. I don't have pics of when it happened. It happed last fall during hunting season and it has been parked until then. Just now getting the time and money to dig into it. It may be possible that there is a hole in the airbox somehow that is letting dust get in but from what I hear this is a huge issue with these machines anyway because of the horrible location of the stock air intake. I know lots of people who have added snorkels with pre filters to help with this.

Screenshot 20230409 091536 Amazon Shopping 20210606 150450

Reactions: JayPo
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Interesting green spot - looks unoiled ?

I’m frugal as s***, I wash those kinda filters with dawn in a bucket and air dry - whatever motor oil is laying around and a ziploc for oiling…

u have pic of the dirt past the filter ?

Reactions: Backwoods
JayPo

JayPo

Somewhat Well-Known Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 15, 2020
Tennessee
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I bought a pack of 6 filters that I would use to change every time they got dirty enough that I thought they needed changing. I used a UNI filter cleaning kit. I don't have pics of when it happened. It happed last fall during hunting season and it has been parked until then. Just now getting the time and money to dig into it. It may be possible that there is a hole in the airbox somehow that is letting dust get in but from what I hear this is a huge issue with these machines anyway because of the horrible location of the stock air intake. I know lots of people who have added snorkels with pre filters to help with this.

View attachment 382663 View attachment 382664
You can check for a hole/leak in the air intake system be letting the engine idle and covering the air intake (I use my hand to block the air intake on my Yamaha). If using your hand you can feel the suction if the air intake plumbing is tight. The engine should sputter and eventually stop running if there are no leaks. If there is a small leak you may be able to hear a hissing sound to help locate the leak.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!