P500 P500 Cylinder and Piston Question

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
Anyone with experience on a Niche top end rebuild kit. It appears that I can get a Cylinder, Piston, and gasket kit for about $135 while other kits can cost about $500. My two rules of thumb are "If it is too good to be true it is not true" and "you get what you pay for", do these rules of thumb apply? I like saving money but I don't like doing the same job twice.

Reactions: Smittyp
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Anyone with experience on a Niche top end rebuild kit. It appears that I can get a Cylinder, Piston, and gasket kit for about $135 while other kits can cost about $500. My two rules of thumb are "If it is too good to be true it is not true" and "you get what you pay for", do these rules of thumb apply? I like saving money but I don't like doing the same job twice.
Maybe @906UP can chime in, an expert mechanic on these.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

3. Talon X
I've heard of Niche on Amazon, seems like a Chinese knock off company like Vevor, might be OK.....might not. How much risk are you willing to accept

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520

Is your buggy sick?
Are you still attending MOM?

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
My buggy is sick and I removed myself from the MOM registration a couple days ago. When I first bought my P500 in 2021 it had 500 miles on the odometer and I decided it didn't have a hard enough life so I took it swimming. After clearing the water from the cylinder and changing the oil and gas it ran good until about 6 months ago. Now with 2500 miles on it burns oil so I am pretty sure my oil rings lost temper when hit with the cold water and are probably stuck in the ring groove now. To be safe I am going to replace both the cylinder and piston. I am hoping to have it ready for the Hatfield and McCoy ride the end of October.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

3. Talon X
My buggy is sick and I removed myself from the MOM registration a couple days ago. When I first bought my P500 in 2021 it had 500 miles on the odometer and I decided it didn't have a hard enough life so I took it swimming. After clearing the water from the cylinder and changing the oil and gas it ran good until about 6 months ago. Now with 2500 miles on it burns oil so I am pretty sure my oil rings lost temper when hit with the cold water and are probably stuck in the ring groove now. To be safe I am going to replace both the cylinder and piston. I am hoping to have it ready for the Hatfield and McCoy ride the end of October.
From what I've seen, these little engines are more likely to burn oil from bad valve seals than rings. How much oil are you burning/losing?

Last edited:
Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
I've heard of Niche on Amazon, seems like a Chinese knock off company like Vevor, might be OK.....might not. How much risk are you willing to accepNot much, I don't like being stuck in the middle of nowhere. I am now looking for a good machine shop to tell me if the stock cylinder needs to be bored and then what size piston to buy.

From what I've seen, these little engines are more likely to burn oil from bad valve seals than rings. How much oil are you burning/losing?
About 1/2 quart in 200 miles of trail riding.

Reactions: Mudder
advertisement
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

3. Talon X
About 1/2 quart in 200 miles of trail riding.
Any smoke from the exhaust? On acceleration looks at the rings, on deceleration or on cold start up look at valve seals.

Have you checked the airbox lately? Any oil in there?

Reactions: Mudder
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After recently working on a 500, if the cylinder is bad, look into boring it out. Honda has oversize pistons and rings available for this engine. But stick with @906UP he will get you steered in the right direction.

Reactions: Mudder and 906UP
Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
Any smoke from the exhaust? On acceleration looks at the rings, on deceleration or on cold start up look at valve seals.

Have you checked the airbox lately? Any oil in there?
Smoke sometime at startup and decelerating with a lot of engine braking. I did have oil in the airbox about 1000 miles ago but I attributed that to over oiling the air filter. I cleaned the oil out and cleaned and reoiled the filter with much less filter oil and no repeat of oil in the airbox.

Reactions: 906UP
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

3. Talon X
Smoke sometime at startup and decelerating with a lot of engine braking
That screams valve seals

Also, too much or too heavy of oil on the air filter can cause excessive vacuum in the airbox and pull oil out of the engine through the vent tube, especially on long, high rpm runs.

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
That screams valve seals

Also, too much or too heavy of oil on the air filter can cause excessive vacuum in the airbox and pull oil out of the engine through the vent tube, especially on long, high rpm runs.
Thanks for all the info. I have decided to use Honda parts. I will take the cylinder to a machine shop and let then determine if I need a bore or just a hone. I do plan on replacing the piston and rings since I am already have them out and the engine has previously be flooded with possible

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thanks for all the info. I have decided to use Honda parts. I will take the cylinder to a machine shop and let then determine if I need a bore or just a hone. I do plan on replacing the piston and rings since I am already have them out and the engine has previously be flooded with possible
life is about decisions - u made a good decision not using china crap