BOX1

P500 P500 stuck in gear almost a walk out

ScottB

ScottB

Mar 4, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I have a 2017 P500. Today I ran it in some high country and almost found myself walking out.

I pulled on a ridge in 4wd, 2gear, and stopped. Instead of putting it into N, I just turned off the machine in 4wd, 2gear, MT. Parking brake was on and I was idle.

In 30 minutes I came back and could not get into N. Of course, it will not start unless it’s in N.

When shifting from 2 to N, I would hear the normal little clunk/click sound and it would go from 2 to “—“ (just a dash on the console).

I changed to AT and back to MT, then switched to 2wd, then turned the key to off then on, switching the parking brake on/off, etc. Every time it would go from 2 to “—“, or from D to “—“, etc. No neutral. I was pretty pissed because it was 12 miles of serious mountain.

Finally I tried putting it into R by pulling the stupid lever, and then hit the “+” butterfly gear change and it went into N. The machine started and I drove out.

I've tried to create the problem at home by parking like I did, etc, but the P500 is not having any problems now. At no time did I run out of battery.

Any ideas?

Bisley

Bisley

Apr 14, 2021
West Covina, CA
Ownership

1. 500
Any ideas?

Put it in neutral before shutting it off like the manuals say? Couldn't help it.

That's what the little tool under the seat is for. You would really have been upset if you walked all the way back only to learn there is a tool to manually shift it under there.

We've got one of the originals, a 2000 Rancher es. I say it several times when someone new gets on it "DO NOT SHUT IT OFF IN GEAR!!!".

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
My 2017 will start in gear I just need to hold the foot brake down. I wonder if your brake switch is functioning. Do you have brake lights? Sometimes if I try and shift with the engine off it doesn’t work but I think it’s just because the machine needs to move a little to help mesh the gears.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
The P500 uses an ATV transmission.
Like an ATV some times you have to rock it, but the P500 is too heavy to rock like an ATV.
So, release the parking brake and roll it, even just a little and usually it will shift.

However, it should start in gear with a firm foot on the brake pedal.

12 miles is a long walk, that's the reason I got in to ATV/SxS.
Too old, fat and lazy to be hiking like I did when I was a kid.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!