P500 P500 wouldn't start

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Well, my 2017 P500 had been burning oil since new, as first trip out I flipped it in a mud hole and it ingested muddy water, and I had to drive it for an hour or so to get out of the woods... A couple months ago I fixed it: had the cylinder bored and new piston and rings, and it's working like a Honda again, it doesn't burn oil and the oil stays clean longer.

Today, we were out, way out, on a woods road, and as usual the P500 was running like a charm. A slow charm, but still a charm! We stopped for a break, and after that the bike wouldn't start. Backfired once, then just rolled over with no signs of life. I turned the key on and could hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds then stop, so I knew I had fuel, I checked that the spark plug wire was on, then noticed... that the throttle body was disconnected from the cylinder inlet... I had disconnected that when I had the cylinder off and I remember it didn't go back on like it was supposed to. 2 minutes with a phillips screwdriver and it was hooked back up, engine started on first roll over, and off we went!

It was my fault, not Mother Honda's. Long live Honda!!!

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Well, my 2017 P500 had been burning oil since new, as first trip out I flipped it in a mud hole and it ingested muddy water, and I had to drive it for an hour or so to get out of the woods... A couple months ago I fixed it: had the cylinder bored and new piston and rings, and it's working like a Honda again, it doesn't burn oil and the oil stays clean longer.

Today, we were out, way out, on a woods road, and as usual the P500 was running like a charm. A slow charm, but still a charm! We stopped for a break, and after that the bike wouldn't start. Backfired once, then just rolled over with no signs of life. I turned the key on and could hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds then stop, so I knew I had fuel, I checked that the spark plug wire was on, then noticed... that the throttle body was disconnected from the cylinder inlet... I had disconnected that when I had the cylinder off and I remember it didn't go back on like it was supposed to. 2 minutes with a phillips screwdriver and it was hooked back up, engine started on first roll over, and off we went!

It was my fault, not Mother Honda's. Long live Honda!!!
Nice story and nice to see the little guy is up/running again.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!