P500 P520 clutch adjustment

Pauly B

Pauly B

Aug 23, 2021
Hudson Valley, New York
Ownership

1. 520
I just got back from a 5 night UTV trip in Brantingham Lake NY. On day 3 I decided my Pioneer wasn’t shifting as smoothly as it did before I changed the diff oil. I attempted to adjust the clutch but this time there was grime built up on the lock nut/adjustment screw and they didn’t want to spin independently. I’m afraid I may have spun the adjustment screw a few times around while trying to break the locknut free. I’m wondering, can the adjustment screw be more than one rotation out of wack? Or does it reset when you do the full turn clockwise? I have adjusted it 3-4 times since but cannot find the sweet spot I had before the oil change. It’s even refused to shift a few times for me since. Thanks in advance for any advice.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Ugh... sorry to hear that. I need to watch this thread so I can see if trail side adjustments are worth the hassle. I haven't had to adjust mine yet. But I only have a little over 300 miles on it.

Rob

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
COULD BE
Jam Nut & Screw Treads Funkey <>can happen if to much pressure is used at Final snug of Jam Nut.

Need to free up the nut & Screw ( then start from beginning to adj. clutch )
Apply WD40 & let is set
A Real GOOD FITTING Screw Driver with Vicegrip Pliers attached <> apply & hold all the pressure you can to the Screw <> while trying to Loosen the Jam Nut. <> use a Good FITTING 6pt. Box Wrench ( take the under seat plastic off if needed )

Had a 2017 P500 in the shop & used the above procedure with Success.
BE CAREFUL donot want to Damage the Adjusting Screw.

Not sure it's the problem you have <> hope this is helpful.

Last edited:
Dave75

Dave75

Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 520
Ugh... sorry to hear that. I need to watch this thread so I can see if trail side adjustments are worth the hassle. I haven't had to adjust mine yet. But I only have a little over 300 miles on it.

Rob
When done right it’s shifts a lot better. I made the mistake of moving the set screw with the jam nut. The next time I will make sure the set screw does not move with the jam nut.

Try watching some YouTube videos on the p500 clutch adjustment and keep at it.
Hopefully someone else will have a better answer.

Good luck.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I prefer PB Blaster vs WD40 for penetrating oil to free up a tight screw. My understanding is once loose, you turn the screw as shown to a slight resistance so it is a ‘reset’. Just make sure you loosen the lock nut enough to allow the full range of turning the adjustment screw. Post your end result, hopefully a fix.

Adding video links in case someone finds this thread on a first time search.

Last edited:
stobiadas

stobiadas

Apr 12, 2021
K0E1X0
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I did the same thing as you. Ended up screwing in the adjuster screw in until the end and backed out slowly until I felt slight resistance. Ultimately you just can start it and put it in gear and feel the clutch engagement. If it’s too quick then turn it in, if it’s too sloppy then turn it out.

Dave75

Dave75

Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 520
I did the same thing as you. Ended up screwing in the adjuster screw in until the end and backed out slowly until I felt slight resistance. Ultimately you just can start it and put it in gear and feel the clutch engagement. If it’s too quick then turn it in, if it’s too sloppy then turn it out.
Did it shift better when you were done?

stobiadas

stobiadas

Apr 12, 2021
K0E1X0
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have my sweet spot that I found on this machine and I got it back there again.
I owned mine since new, and have now 1115 km on the clock. This thing shifted hard when I first got it. After second oil change, it’s gotten way better. Also wanted to mention that once I got comfortable with it I changed the way I use the transmission. I mainly drive in manual mode and let off the gas just before I upshift. It’s seem less that way.

Reactions: Pauly B and Dave75

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!