R

robotorx

Feb 21, 2021
perth, australia
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-2
Hey guys

This one is really perplexing. The machine will run for days with no issues, but on a random day, when we are workign it hard, say in dunes or sandy country, even at 10-20kph, the engine will stall and the lights on dash will illuminate. No engine light or codes, just shuts down. Note we are in manual not auto when it does this. This is not our video, but this is what it does

Its relatively new machine. Spark arrestor is good, earths are good.

The machine is out bush, in the desert, so would appreciate any help to get it sorted.

Reactions: Lady01 and Bmurray
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hey guys

This one is really perplexing. The machine will run for days with no issues, but on a random day, when we are workign it hard, say in dunes or sandy country, even at 10-20kph, the engine will stall and the lights on dash will illuminate. No engine light or codes, just shuts down. Note we are in manual not auto when it does this. This is not our video, but this is what it does

Its relatively new machine. Spark arrestor is good, earths are good.

The machine is out bush, in the desert, so would appreciate any help to get it sorted.
check all your ground wires . if not the ground its going to be the ignition switch. im leanig towrards the ground but with the dash cycling like that when it dies its one of those 2

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

R

robotorx

Feb 21, 2021
perth, australia
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-2
checked all the grounds and battery. its not that. we regularly have probs with grounds with our P500 and P700's.

will investigate ignition switch though.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
checked all the grounds and battery. its not that. we regularly have probs with grounds with our P500 and P700's.

will investigate ignition switch though.
its goin to be the ignition switch then . the only ones iv seen cycle the tree have been grounds the ignition and 1 time it was the ecu. hopefully its the switch.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
@robotorx did you find anything? I'm officially part of this club. Mine has done an odd thing or 2 over the last few rides, but today I got full on 3 stalls w/Christmas tree in about 1/2 mile, then it quit doing it.
I'm thinking it has to be the ECM or switch after doing the wiggle/prod test on the side of the trail.

Also did some experimentation with pulling relays and fuses. Nothing really seems to duplicate it from that standpoint. I did notice that if I quickly cut the key off and back on, the machine idles down a bit as if it lost fire, but doesn't die and do the Christmas tree until you leave the key off for half second and then cut it back on. This lost spark type feel/sound sort of duplicates my earliest indication of trouble a couple of months back, but today is the 1st time I've noticed all the lights.

R

robotorx

Feb 21, 2021
perth, australia
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-2
Hey guys we think its the ecm getting hot and shutting everything down. We do a lot of hard work in sand and are finding the heat from exhaust is melting the bottom of the seat. It gets really hot down there, and we think it's the heat getting into the ecm. We are going to try and install some more insulation and maybe drill some holes for cooling, add a fan etc.

I'll report back once we've made the mods.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hey guys we think its the ecm getting hot and shutting everything down. We do a lot of hard work in sand and are finding the heat from exhaust is melting the bottom of the seat. It gets really hot down there, and we think it's the heat getting into the ecm. We are going to try and install some more insulation and maybe drill some holes for cooling, add a fan etc.

I'll report back once we've made the mods.

Good luck.

I don't think that's my issue, though. I have 2 heat/noise shields under my seat. That's in addition to the rubber flap. Back when this started, I considered the ECM getting hot, since this 1st occured in hot weather. So I put some heat shielding under the ECM while cutting a window in both shieldings and swiss cheesed the stock rubber flap. Additionally, today I was at over 5000' and like 70 degrees...the coolest I've been out in a while, yet the stalls were more graphic than ever. I've ordered a new ignition switch.

N

NickM696

Feb 28, 2021
Australia
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hey guys did you end up finding out your problem with your 700 stalling?
I am in Australia and i have had one do the exact same thing as that and i put a wiring loom in it and it solved my problem. i am still waiting to hear back from honda on the issue in the loom.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I am in Australia and i have had one do the exact same thing as that and i put a wiring loom in it and it solved my problem. i am still waiting to hear back from honda on the issue in the loom.
Still waiting on my ignition switch.

advertisement
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I got ahold of the guy who made the video. He said it turned out to be a "...bad ground somewhere under the seat..." according to the dealer.

R

robotorx

Feb 21, 2021
perth, australia
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-2
Check your wiring loom. At the front right wheel well, we often find broken or severed wires there.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yes that's right. We try and guard but the harness is somewhat exposed. Our next trick will be to cover with some hydraulic hose.

Those grounds back by the gas tank are really exposed on the 2 seater, and they will kill the machine if they get ripped off.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
@robotorx after replacing the ignition switch, I had no trouble for like 6 months and several hundred miles. Now my machine is doing this again. I had cleaned the grounds last time but failed to coat it with something to keep corrosion out.
After stalling 2 times over a matter of a few minutes, I stopped and retightened the ground behind the gas tank, and it didn't do it again...though that doesn't nessesarily mean anything. I'm wondering if you found anything with yours?
I'm going to clean the grounds again...and seal them this time, but that's just a guess. I can't imagine 2 bad switches in 2 years...unless Honda got a bad batch.

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!