P500 Pictures of the P500 frame mod completed?

doolin64

doolin64

Oct 16, 2014
Well, my swap from 27" AMS Slingshot's to 26" Pitbull tires did not go as planned. The 27's already grabbed the frame by the previous owners and these 26" Pitbulls are bigger. I just want to bring this to a fab shop and fix it once and for all.

So if you have a picture of this mod completed. Please share!

doolin64

doolin64

Oct 16, 2014
Front tires...size difference. 26" Pitbull on left. 27" AMS Slingshot on right. Both are mounted on wheels and inflated.

399f4a2c68b0d813710c9c0cf1253eac

Previous owner frame grab.

D2ab2995185e6d4387d7bfeab3c28811

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Well, my swap from 27" AMS Slingshot's to 26" Pitbull tires did not go as planned. The 27's already grabbed the frame by the previous owners and these 26" Pitbulls are bigger. I just want to bring this to a fab shop and fix it once and for all.

So if you have a picture of this mod completed. Please share!
You're just having a heck of a time with your P5 aren't you doolin? Actually this mod is pretty easy. What @solrus said.

doolin64

doolin64

Oct 16, 2014
I made an appt next week with a local fabricator. He's going to do this mod and the weld in nuts. I'll make sure to provide pics. Fa66b6827065eb55ed60a75806fc633f

Reactions: solrus
doolin64

doolin64

Oct 16, 2014
These weld nuts will insert in the holes I drilled out for rivnuts. Then he'll weld the round base to the frame.

As for the frame mod, exactly what you drew. Possibly a few more degrees than 45. I'm going to see what the fabricator says.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
advertisement
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Link?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Stacy

Stacy

Jul 12, 2015
Twin falls idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Solrus, sorry I have been away and just saw this, this morning. You have your angle on the money, and placement. You are correct with the same plate thickness or heavier. I will try to get a photo as soon as its light out if it will help. I had no reservations on the mod because their is no structural integerity compromise. In fact you will be doing a reinforcement to a week spot.
I did buff off the paint in a zone about 1" around the area to stop paint blister & peel during the weld. And had a can of high heat engine paint on standby. After each weld I hit it with the paint basically using the heat of the weld as the cure process and it worked like a charm baking the paint to a cure. I have had no rust development on the welds or in that area. Also obviously take care and cover and or shield the brake lines to prevent any unwanted excitement or adverse effects from the welding i used damp rags to protect it during the welding.

Solrus once again Ive been so busy in the field Hunting / photographing I haven't had a chance to spend much time on social media. So I hope this will either help you or someone else. The procedure was relatively easy and quick I thank the 15 minutes to make the inserts took the longest. I know it was done in 30min. As a side note.... your factory skid plate will be loose here or in my case my custom skid plate. I simply drove 1 stainless steel self taping screw in each side right behind the modification so it would not sag or get caught on anything. If its to late my apologies I will try to follow up at first light with a photo or answer any more questions.

On a side note a bull we got last week. And the happy hunter (gal) that took it. Aw snap on one of these trips I will remember to get the pioneer in action!

Untitledscf

Last edited:
Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Solrus, sorry I have been away and just saw this, this morning. You have your angle on the money, and placement. You are correct with the same plate thickness or heavier. I will try to get a photo as soon as its light out if it will help. I had no reservations on the mod because their is no structural integerity compromise. In fact you will be doing a reinforcement to a week spot.
I did buff off the paint in a zone about 1" around the area to stop paint blister & peel during the weld. And had a can of high heat engine paint on standby. After each weld I hit it with the paint basically using the heat of the weld as the cure process and it worked like a charm baking the paint to a cure. I have had no rust development on the welds or in that area.

Solrus once again Ive been so busy in the field Hunting / photographing I haven't had a chance to spend much time on social media. So I hope this will either help you or someone else. The procedure was relatively easy and quick I thank the 15 minutes to make the inserts took the longest. I know it was done in 30min. As a side note.... your factory skid plate will be loose here or in my case my custom skid plate. I simply drove 1 stainless steel self taping screw in each side right behind the modification so it would not sag or get caught on anything. If its to late my apologies I will try to follow up at first light with a photo or answer any more questions.

On a side note a bull we got last week. And the happy hunter (gal) that took it. Aw snap on one of these trips I will remember to get the pioneer in action!

View attachment 28670
Awesome pic. Beautiful!

Reactions: Stacy
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I did buff off the paint in a zone about 1" around the area to stop paint blister & peel during the weld. And had a can of high heat engine paint on standby. After each weld I hit it with the paint basically using the heat of the weld as the cure process and it worked like a charm baking the paint to a cure. I have had no rust development on the welds or in that area. Also obviously take care and cover and or shield the brake lines to prevent any unwanted excitement or adverse effects from the welding i used damp rags to protect it during the welding.

View attachment 28670
Stacy brother!!!!! Where you been buddy, besides harvesting yearling elk obviously :) (very nice one)
I agree about that mod being a structural improvement. I'm tired of my plugs falling out of that hole and I don't need to do angle cut but I'm going to weld a plate over it when I have it in the shop this winter just the same. Let's see let's see some of those moose you've been shooting with your Nikon?

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 28670
Envy u in good way !!! No bull elk for me this year. Still hoping to get cow until shoulder season ends.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well my hands were itching so I did it today :), but I did not cut a lot just 45 degree so preserved frame mount for my skid. Have now an inch clearance between frame and turned 26 " BH 2.0 at 11 psi with chains .

IMG 20161217 184654060
IMG 20161217 185249453
IMG 20161217 185914078
IMG 20161217 185921190
IMG 20161217 185935147

Reactions: chrisC

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!