Carleton

Carleton

Nov 28, 2014
Utah
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Hi all,

I just wanted to get some opinions from some of you who have come from the Kawasaki Teryx regarding the true pros and cons of each machine. I've tested both, but haven't gotten to ride them both in real world conditions with steep hills, rock crawling and other situations. I see the CVT as being a little bit smoother when trying to manage slow speed in bumpy situations, but that is mostly an issue for my wife (on/off throttle sensitivity). I also noticed the teryx is very loud and rattles a lot, but some others have voiced that their Honda is loud as well.

Here are some of my initial impressions:

Teryx Pros:

Fox shocks
comfortable seats
CVT is smooth
Decent power
Wheel base not crazy long
Lots of rock crawling videos on youtube, seems to do very well
Price
Good Looking

Pioneer Pros:

Honda Build Quality
Quiet
5 Seats
Shorter Wheel Base
DCT is pretty awesome
Good Ground Clearance
Good power
Versatile

Can any of you give me an honest opinion that have had experience with both? I currently have a P500, but will be looking to upgrade in the next year. I want to research and see what will be the best value for me. My p500 has a lot of great attributes, but rides very rough for my wife and kids. I'm hoping the P1000-5 or teryx will rock crawl and ride a lot better. With that said, we have had a blast with the P500 and knew exactly what we were getting. We've taken it in some pretty tight places and its been a ton of fun.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The teryx isn't a real smooth ride at all. And the engine heat is horrible. They do have a great motor and warranty is 3 yr from factory. I rode for a weekend this past summer with a guy that had a real nice one. He was going to sell it because of the heat. He added all the insulation he could didn't help. But other than that he liked it. 50 mph top speed too

Donnie

Donnie

Dec 18, 2015
SW Missouri
FWIW I was in the same camp as you last fall. Had both available and pulled the trigger on the Pioneer. So far I've been super happy. The engine/tranny combo sold me as well as the fact it was <10' overall length. My toy hauler only has a 10' garage.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
TERYX4™ LE vs Pioneer 1000-5 DELUXE
Displacement
783cc 999c
Overall Length
125.4 in 116.8 in
Wheelbase
85.6 in 80.2 inches
Ground Clearance
11.2 in 12.4 inches
Towing Capacity
1300 lb 2000 lb
Front Wheel Travel
8 in 10.55 inches
Rear Wheel Travel
8.3 in 10 in
Turning Radius
16.7 ft 13.8 feet
Curb Weight
1617.7 lb 1709 pounds
Height
79.7 in 76.4 inches
Check out the Kawasaki 2016 TERYX4™ LE Pioneer-Honda Powersports
just things to look at when you go shopping ask the same ? on A Kawasaki forum

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One other thing is that the teryx is a dedicated 4 seater and the rear seats are alot better for adults . Kids won't know the difference

F

Fullthrottle

Oct 5, 2015
I'm in the same boat as you, but leaning towards pioneer. I think teryx has nicer seats but that's probably about it.They look quite nice with bigger tires and what not and the length is great for a four seater.The belts seem to last fairly good on the new ones but if you do have trouble it's quite a job to change.Not exactly trail friendly.They are gaining popularity I think but mostly because they are couple grand cheaper I think.But they haven't advanced their design for years so your getting what yah pay for.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Great seats for sure. The belt drive pulls the air off the rear cylinder head to reduce engine cover heat. That alone is a deal killer for me. The 2012 and 2013 had a fan to deal with the engine heat and the belt drive air intake was up under the hood. I liked my 2012 but low power and top speed is about 47 mph. Suspension travel is 8 inches and not as good as the Honda.

rubicon05

rubicon05

Dec 24, 2015
Southern, IN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I came from a 2013 T4 that was decked out. Great for the kids, but it was loud as hell. Anything over 20mph or under the slightest load and you had to be yelling to have a convo. Aside from that I loved it. The P1000-5 sold me as the kids don't always come with me so I have a full bed when they aren't along so I can actually use it for work and not just play. The restricted 50mph got old as well

Carleton

Carleton

Nov 28, 2014
Utah
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
FWIW I was in the same camp as you last fall. Had both available and pulled the trigger on the Pioneer. So far I've been super happy. The engine/tranny combo sold me as well as the fact it was <10' overall length. My toy hauler only has a 10' garage.
Have you done much rock crawling or riding on technical terrain yet? Just wondering how it does since there is not a lot out there to watch yet.

Carleton

Carleton

Nov 28, 2014
Utah
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I came from a 2013 T4 that was decked out. Great for the kids, but it was loud as hell. Anything over 20mph or under the slightest load and you had to be yelling to have a convo. Aside from that I loved it. The P1000-5 sold me as the kids don't always come with me so I have a full bed when they aren't along so I can actually use it for work and not just play. The restricted 50mph got old as well
Sounds like you really liked the teryx huh? Have you liked your pioneer as much? I'm hoping its as sporty feeling. Just worried about the ride after coming from the P500.

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
Have you done much rock crawling or riding on technical terrain yet? Just wondering how it does since there is not a lot out there to watch yet.
I don't have any video but we did some rock crawling in mine with 4 people in it half of the time and it crawled right up stuff. One line my buddies toyota that had a welded rear and open front diff couldn't make it but the honda went right up it. I was pretty impressed with its climbing abilities.

Donnie

Donnie

Dec 18, 2015
SW Missouri
Yes, where we ride there is a lot of rocky hills. It does as good as my old Rhino did. It does better than the Polaris system since (like Yamaha's system) all 4 wheels are locked up. Just make sure you are in low and try to keep a little speed to stay out of the clutch engagement/disengagement zone (as evidenced by the "shudder" feeling you get as the clutch rapidly engages/disengages). It doesn't take much to do this. At first you have to consciously think about it, however, after a while you do it without thinking about it. I find that most people go too slow when climbing hills anyways out of caution, when in fact you should be using momentum to help carry you up.

Whatever rig you purchase, get a good set of UHMW skids, that way you don't care about dragging on the rocks and they slide better than aluminum. Aluminum or stainless steel cause friction which create drag, which slow momentum, which requires more throttle to overcome.

Reactions: amc019
J

Jack39

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 12, 2015
Wareham, MA (near cape cod)
Got to go with Rubicon05, the Teryx isn't a bad machine, but LOUD!! Vibrates pretty badly as well. I liken it to a Harley, loud and shakey. On the other hand, I'm loving my P1000.

rubicon05

rubicon05

Dec 24, 2015
Southern, IN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really did like the t4, but when I test drove the 1000-5 I was sold. I listed the t4 for sale the same week.

Reactions: joeymt33

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!