P1000 Pioneer 1000 differential lock

B

Blueline

Nov 12, 2018
illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey guys. Looking for some advice. Was driving my 2016 pioneer 1000 tonight in the field behind the house. When I came back up to the yard I shifted it from 4wd, back to turf. I sit there a minute and the indicator light showed up as 2wd lock. No big deal happens all the time. I started slowly creeping across the yard when it all of a sudden sounded like it popped out of gear and into neutral. (2wd lock indicator went off). There I sit. When you gave it throttle, it would Rev, but no power to the wheels. I reached up and popped it into 2wd and regained power to the wheels. When I got back to the shed, I got to messing with it and discovered I've only got power to the driver's side rear wheel in 2wd. When I put it in turf I have power to neither. Axles seem fine, CV joints seen fine. Has anyone had this, and what's the fix?

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Your rear diff cable could be out of adjustment.
It is a place to start anyway.
and multiple videos
But, thinking about what you said...
I am new to the pioneer myself, but to my understanding, the rear diff has 2 modes.
Turf mode, which for a mechanic means any standard rear wheel drive vehicle and is usually called a limited slip differential. One wheel wonder, one wheel drives.
The other mode, is diff lock, or 2xlock, which means you locked the axle solid, and made it a positive traction differential. Both wheels drive. If you turn left or right, one wheel must skid or slide. Because they are locked together, turning at the same speed.
With that being said, I do not know if the rear diff has a neutral, as you are explaining that yours is doing.
Someone else with more hands on knowledge will have to assist with that answer.
edit to add,
I watched the videos again, and it says there are 3 modes.
1-unlocked or turf
2-locked or 2 wheel drive
3-park
Have a good day

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The rear diff adjustment ☝️☝️
then take it from there.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Be patient with the adjustments sometimes it can be a bearcat to get properly aligned. One they just so, you’ll be golden.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I'm going to suggest somthing diffrent.
The cable adjustment in the flux capacitor is universally hated but it is not the cause of all problems.

Just a guess but, one of the half shafts is disengaged from the diff. (Passenger side is disengaged)
The inner CV joint has a short spline shaft that is held in to the diff with a wire C-clip.
Some times the clip dosent get set all the way in, the inner CV will move out untill the splines disengage.

Grab the passenger side CV and see if it will move towards the wheel by hand.
If it is attached correctly you can't move it by hand.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also after shifting from turf mode to 2wd lock or from 2wd lock to turf mode make sure you turn the steering wheel when you start moving. With a quarter turn or less of the steering wheel the 2wd lock light on the dash will go off (or on) almost immediately on my machine. No clunking in the rear diff anymore after I made the adjustment.

Reactions: Smitty335
EagleEye

EagleEye

Sep 5, 2017
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I seldom have to use 2 WD or 4WD on the rocks I travel. However, I have noticed the rear staying locked after going into turf mode. Once while my grandson was out driving it with his friends, he came back and reported it jumped from turf mode to 2 WD.
Well, I put up with it for way too long. Thanks for the short and sweet fix.

WInuke

WInuke

May 3, 2022
Wi
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 1000-5
Looks to me like rear diff has 2 modes 1.turf (open diff) and 2.2wd (diff lock). If you watch what the cable above the rear diff, putting it in park simply locks the rear diff if selected to turf mode so you have more than one tire keeping the machine stopped in park. Am i nuts?

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Looks to me like rear diff has 2 modes 1.turf (open diff) and 2.2wd (diff lock). If you watch what the cable above the rear diff, putting it in park simply locks the rear diff if selected to turf mode so you have more than one tire keeping the machine stopped in park. Am i nuts?
Exactly 👆

Reactions: Smitty335
Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had to adjust my cables when I got home from the dealer with a brand new machine, plus add fluids. Hard to get good help these days. One thing I tell my family about operating the machine is to not hammer on it until all lights on the indicator match what mode you've selected. It's just like you pickup truck. You have to give it a minute and the best thing to do is move and turn and maybe even backup somethings if your trying to disengage. You can youtube how to adjust the cables. It's the black cover behind the drivers seat below the bed. It doesn't take much adjustment. Count you turns so you remember where you started. Plus as mentioned above, when in park the 2 wheel lock will be on. Make sure your got a problem before you go adjusting.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!