P1000 Pioneer 1000 water pump leak

faronij

faronij

Sep 1, 2020
loxahatchee FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey Y'all. I have a 2016 Pioneer 1000 3 seater . On the past few rides upon stopping could smell antifreeze.
Strongest smell from under the seat. upon inspection found that the line for the weep hole had a few drips coming from it.
Let it sit over night and its not even enough to leave a mark on the floor? is this amount normal with the 1000 like honda states about the 700s.
Also cant seem to find a water pump for this, only the cover not the mechanical part itself, can it be rebuilt? I see ebay has a rebuild kit for it but am not optimistic as to what is in that kit and if its even right.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank You.

Last edited:
Reactions: TripleB and TxDoc
faronij

faronij

Sep 1, 2020
loxahatchee FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Anything guys? Am I the only one that has run into this issue.....? Can someone in the group please look at the weep hole drain line and confirm or deny this please.... Thank You.

H

HondaTech

If its leaking from the weep hole, you probably wouldn't smell it, id check for other leaks as well.

I've never replaced Pioneer water pump but the weep hole leaking is suppose to indicate a bad mechanical seal. But I've seen new ones leak from temperature change and sitting.

Id keep and eye on it and see if it continues or gets worse.

It appears Honda does not offer any sort of seal for the pump. Which is stupid, considering the entire alternator cover has to be replaced to get that seal. Im sure its a common part on something else.

faronij

faronij

Sep 1, 2020
loxahatchee FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am aw
If its leaking from the weep hole, you probably wouldn't smell it, id check for other leaks as well.

I've never replaced Pioneer water pump but the weep hole leaking is suppose to indicate a bad mechanical seal. But I've seen new ones leak from temperature change and sitting.

Id keep and eye on it and see if it continues or gets worse.

It appears Honda does not offer any sort of seal for the pump. Which is stupid, considering the entire alternator cover has to be replaced to get that seal. Im sure its a common part on something else.
[/QUOTE
I am aware that would indicate a bad seal but I also know that honda says a small amount of fluid coming from that on a 700 is normal so maybe the same for 1000. Have looked all over after riding a few times and can't seem to find a leak anywhere else. It is very minimal as I can't see any change in the level of coolant.Already spoke with dealer and was told you have to replace the whole alternator cover in order to fix a leak in that location. That there is no part # in there diagram for just that seal

Reactions: JenElio
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Is it the top pressure release bolt you are talking about or the bottom drains on the lines? I've not noticed this on mine.

Reactions: Backwoods
faronij

faronij

Sep 1, 2020
loxahatchee FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Its the weep hole line. Small rubber hose that comes from the alternator cover and ends almost flush with the skidplate

Reactions: JenElio
D

duramaxman05

Apr 25, 2019
Perryville
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine drips out the wheep hole hose too. Just a drop or two

iroc_0085

iroc_0085

Jan 22, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Do not currently own
What did you find out? I'm in the same issue but a drop every second or so. I see rebuild kits but nothing to help me understand how it can be rebuild. Seems odd because Honda says it can't be rebuilt. I really don't want to drain oil and replace the entire cover if I don't have to.

faronij

faronij

Sep 1, 2020
loxahatchee FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Its the weep hole line. Small rubber hose that comes from the alternator cover and ends almost flush with the skidplate
What did you find out? I'm in the same issue but a drop every second or so. I see rebuild kits but nothing to help me understand how it can be rebuild. Seems odd because Honda says it can't be rebuilt. I really don't want to drain oil and replace the entire cover if I don't have to.
I found out that on startup it's normal to see a drip. Also looked into rebuild kits and from what I've heard the parts are not correct in what you can purchase as a "kit" so don't waste your $. Talked to honda and to the local dealer and they both told me the only way to get the parts is to order the whole cover.They do not show a separate diagram with part #s so they have no way to order just the parts needed for a rebuild.

iroc_0085

iroc_0085

Jan 22, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Do not currently own
Would the subtrans need to be drained when replacing the alternator cover or just the engine oil?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!