BOX1

Pioneer handling and power

MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
Since this involves both the Pioneer and the Talon, I wasn't sure which sub-forum to put this in so I'm guessing here.

I've always enjoyed everything about my '20 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe. Power and handling always seemed to be very good to excellent. I've now owned my Talon for one week and 100 amazing, fun filled miles. Two days ago, I installed a roof and full glass windshield in the Pioneer and I took it out yesterday for the first time since installing both the windshield and the heavy bumper. To my disappointment, driving the Pioneer seemed comparable to driving a school bus. It seemed slow, and more like a pure utility machine like a Mule or utility Gator. Steering seemed non-responsive, acceleration seemed bland, and it even seemed to struggle to reach 60 mph before I ran out of road (I was also completely covered in dust, but I knew this would be an issue when adding a front windshield but nothing in the rear, but I was eating so much dust that my mouth and face were coated in it within a couple miles). So at this point, I'm wondering if the wind resistance from the windshield has slowed me down considerably, or if my perception is off because I spent the last week blasting the Talon. Or, both?
Thanks,

MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
20200529 191012

I removed the windshield and replaced it with my wind deflector, and we took the two machines back out. I'm happy to say that my Pioneer is back, and I'm amazed by how much difference adding the full windshield makes. It's like riding with the emergency brake on. Removing the windshield seemed to give it back life. Now with the wind deflector and the roof it creates a wind tunnel effect through the cabin, so I'll either get a pair of goggles, or I'll just remove the roof again so that the air has somewhere to go other than directly in my face. I think upgrading to reservoir shocks will make the ride quality more comparable. The handing is considerably inferior, but it isn't bad and that was never really my problem anyway. I'm just happy to have my power back, and never would have believed the difference that a windshield can make had I not seen it for myself. I guess I just wasted a lot of money on a windshield I'll never use again, and a roof I doubt I'll leave on. 🤷‍♂️

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
It aint a 130 hp talon it a 72 hp pioneer. The Talon can't do what the pioneer can do and the pioneer can't do what the talon can do.
^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

Reactions: Isaiah
Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
...except, that's not what I said at all. I don't expect them to be the same; that would be completely unrealistic. Removing the windshield seemed to resolve my initial complaint.
It seemed as so mostly , reading your post. The reason I agreed with what @golfer1 said And why he posted that was that you just drove the talon for a 100miles. 2 completely different set ups. Your windshield shouldn't make that Much difference as to how it drives and power. Sound, wind yes but that much notable power no. It’s a psychological thing. If your concern is just the P1K5 with the windshield and power, don’t bring the Just did 100 miles of talon riding into it, your gona get these opinions lol.

Im a Dog lover, I have large dogs too. nice pups u got there!

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your comments about power loss on the Pioneer are partly why I run a mesh windscreen (plus heat and dust).

A full windshield is a lot of wind to plow.

Reactions: MontanaBighorn
MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
A full windshield is a lot of wind to plow.
Agreed. I just never would have believed the extent of the difference had I not seen it for myself. At the end of the day, I'm just glad that I love my Pioneer again. I'm going to hang onto the windshield, though. I already spent the money, and Montana winters get cold. I think I'm going to add a heater and the rest of the cab. Speed is never an issue in the snow anyways, and the chores still have to get done.

Reactions: Remington
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Agreed. I just never would have believed the extent of the difference had I not seen it for myself. At the end of the day, I'm just glad that I love my Pioneer again. I'm going to hang onto the windshield, though. I already spent the money, and Montana winters get cold. I think I'm going to add a heater and the rest of the cab. Speed is never an issue in the snow anyways, and the chores still have to get done.
There’s a 6x6in square in firewall just off the floor in the center. Take out the 2 5mm hex bolts and you’ll have some pretty good free heat. Don’t need a heater.

Fomocowboy

Fomocowboy

Dec 2, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There’s a 6x6in square in firewall just off the floor in the center. Take out the 2 5mm hex bolts and you’ll have some pretty good free heat. Don’t need a heater.

What's that little door actually for, anyway?

MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
I got another surprise today. By removing the roof, I got another speed boost. I guess the roof must also create drag, certainly more than I would have thought. Regardless, dang, I love my Pioneer! 😍
Now obviously the Talon is more fun, but I can't take my dogs with me in the Talon and if I can't take my dogs, it just kills the recreational side of riding for me. They love riding as much as I do and can distinguish "get in the Pioneer" from "get in the Kubota" from "get in the RSX" from "get in the Teryx"; I say those words and they all run full speed and jump in the machine I called for. I'm going to mount a GoPro on the front bumper facing backwards to show their faces. 😅

FB IMG 1590987200225

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I keep my windshield and add the full soft enclosure as I use my P1k5 for ice fishing and snow plowing.

Summer mode is the side nets, mesh wind screen and the Honda roof.

G

golfer1

Mar 1, 2020
Alabama
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
That's great about the dogs and I'm so glad the pioneer is working for you. The Talon and Pioneer each have their own uses which means you have not doubled up on anything.
Enjoy, have a great time.

Reactions: MontanaBighorn
Pinerider

Pinerider

Aug 11, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I got another surprise today. By removing the roof, I got another speed boost. I guess the roof must also create drag, certainly more than I would have thought. Regardless, dang, I love my Pioneer! 😍
Now obviously the Talon is more fun, but I can't take my dogs with me in the Talon and if I can't take my dogs, it just kills the recreational side of riding for me. They love riding as much as I do and can distinguish "get in the Pioneer" from "get in the Kubota" from "get in the RSX" from "get in the Teryx"; I say those words and they all run full speed and jump in the machine I called for. I'm going to mount a GoPro on the front bumper facing backwards to show their faces. 😅

View attachment 205588
Have you factored in the wind resistance and drag coefficient for German Shepherds? It could be significant, especially in the “ears up” position.

G

gloriaangi09

May 21, 2020
Gambell
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Clutch adjustment my 2016 1000 pioneer 5 won't go ?

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!