CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Coming from motorcycling,, where unsprung weight is bad juju, I was amazed at how heavy each portal is - holy crap. :eek: But in the environment they're intended for, apparently unsprung weight doesn't matter.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Coming from motorcycling,, where unsprung weight is bad juju, I was amazed at how heavy each portal is - holy crap. :eek: But in the environment they're intended for, apparently unsprung weight doesn't matter.

Well yes, compared to out little aluminum knuckles they are heavy. Not a good thing in a a lot of terrain.

In hard core rock crawling, unsprung weight is your friend. Lot of guys fill their front 40" tires with water to keep the front end planted on steep climbs.

A set of 4" portals and 35s on one of these machines would be an absolute beast on the Boulder strewn 4x4 trails out here like the Rubicon and Fordyce. Going from ~17" ground clearance with 32s to potentially 22-23" would be a game changer. My buddies with their crawlers would need to run 46+ tires to have that much clearance under their axle tubes. Obviously a crawler on 40s will do many things better than a sxs. But the center clearance with the portals is impressive.

Reactions: SuperATV and CID
Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
For anyone doubting the portal durability

I guarantee you that your rough trails are only a fraction as stressful as racing koh. All the stresses of flying through the desert, plus the stress of extreme rock crawling(crawling is probably a poor word choice, because they fly through the rocks)

Reactions: SuperATV
D

DDDonkey

Portals are tuff yes but that buggy is purpose built and does not count. The portals will no doubt be fine in rough terrain but that rest of the suspension will not hold up if you drive it like your at the KOH. Thanks for the link though, still thinking about a set someday.........

Reactions: Kilo427
Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Portals are tuff yes but that buggy is purpose built and does not count. The portals will no doubt be fine in rough terrain but that rest of the suspension will not hold up if you drive it like your at the KOH. Thanks for the link though, still thinking about a set someday.........

It doesn't count?

Were talking about 5he durability of the portals themselves, what you attach them to is up to you. Satv has no control over that.

apples to oranges those are finely tuned and built racing rigs.

Again, you were saying you would break the portals, I don't think you would even come close. I don't think it's apples to oranges, they are running them in a harsh environment, I don't think whatever you are doing is worse.

Reactions: DDDonkey
W

WideOpen201

Nov 20, 2019
Dequincy, LA
Ownership

1. Talon X
The look is sweet, but the trade offs and expense are something to consider. I put 32" Cryptids on my X. It rips through the mud and still hauls butt down the hard pack with excellent steering and control. I like the setup and works great!

D

DDDonkey

It doesn't count?

Were talking about 5he durability of the portals themselves, what you attach them to is up to you. Satv has no control over that.

Again, you were saying you would break the portals, I don't think you would even come close. I don't think it's apples to oranges, they are running them in a harsh environment, I don't think whatever you are doing is worse.
Ok I will give you the portals are holding up and not breaking at the KOH, I was just thinking about them on my ride. Honestly I think with the right upgrades, and not driving it like you stole it most would be fine if width was not an issue (its not for me). I feel the people with the big lifts stacked on the portals and giant tires have most the breakage, mainly axles. With a lifetime warranty from SATV it seem like a pretty solid piece of equipment.

Reactions: SuperATV
Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
It doesn't count?

Again I don’t think it’s the portal that Is that weak. I think its a combination of the portal and other components.

EE4215E0 24A9 4F26 9503 D3C40F521E28

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
I live in the west, not much is harder on drivetrain than dry granite. Certain areas are like 24 grit sand paper.

I'm not saying mud is particularly hard on part, but running 55" tires with 3" tall is.

I watched a video the other day of a bunch of big ridiculous sxs's on huge portals running an obstacle course. Tons of broken axles, diffs, ball joints, and arms. I think one guy locked a portal up. Again these are guys hammering their rigs with 50" tires.

If you aren't breaking diffs and axles every trip, you probably won't have any issues with the portals.

The leverage on your suspension is another issue I'm not as familiar with.

Lol!! It doesn't get any nastier than that Bounty Course you watched. That was wild! And the only way those guys could get through that course was with portals. Btw...we won 1st in the stock to 34" class with 34" Warriors and 4" portals, and got 2nd in the 46"+ class on a 10" lift, 8" portals, and 50" Firestone tractor tires. :)

Out west, all the guys in Moab, Sand Hollow, and all the other true crawler areas are all going to portals for the GR, ground clearance, and to protect your whole driveline. Kind of the ultimate upgrade for hardcore rock crawlers. Not just for the mud guys with giant 50" any more. Lol!

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!