Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I wonder if it can be upgraded past Android 11. That could limit what apps will run.

Reactions: Smitty335
Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
That may be an option, but I would think most of us have an old phone lying around to use for the same purpose. Verizon doesn't allow you to use your phone as a hotspot if you have unlimited data (without paying extra) so it would have to be used "offline" at least in my case.

Reactions: Smitty335 and Scoop
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
That may be an option, but I would think most of us have an old phone lying around to use for the same purpose.
Not all phones have a dedicated GPS chip that are good enough to support a GPS app.
Verizon doesn't allow you to use your phone as a hotspot if you have unlimited data (without paying extra) so it would have to be used "offline" at least in my case.
Did this change recently? We were Verizon customers for well over 20 years. We recently switched to Spectrum Mobile (uses the Verizon CDMA network), but when we had Verizon, we always had an unlimited plan and I used my phone as a mobile hotspot for other devices (especially tablets) all the time.

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’ve got an app on my work phone called Guru Maps pro. It’s stand alone and doesn’t require cell service. I loaded all the tracks that @JACKAL shared back before TO this year. Works pretty good. It’s not great like a tablet, but if you are familiar with the area you can figure it out.

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
Not all phones have a dedicated GPS chip that are good enough to support a GPS app.

Did this change recently? We were Verizon customers for well over 20 years. We recently switched to Spectrum Mobile (uses the Verizon CDMA network), but when we had Verizon, we always had an unlimited plan and I used my phone as a mobile hotspot for other devices (especially tablets) all the time.
I should clarify. As far as I know if you have unlimited data with Verizon you can't use your phone as a WiFi, or USB hotspot. You can use it as a hotspot using Bluetooth but I don't know how or how well that works. I believe this limitation is built into Android after version something. As always I could be wrong about this but I don't think so.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I should clarify. As far as I know if you have unlimited data with Verizon you can't use your phone as a WiFi, or USB hotspot. You can use it as a hotspot using Bluetooth but I don't know how or how well that works. I believe this limitation is built into Android after version something. As always I could be wrong about this but I don't think so.
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken! 🤣

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I use(s) my Android phones as WiFi hotspots all the time. I would sometimes have a non-LTE tablet in the truck and needed data, so I would enable hotspot mode on my mobile phone and connect the tablet. Zero issues whatsoever. I'm with Specturm Mobile now -- they use all the Verizon towers - and it still works as a mobile hotspot. I have always been on unlimited plans with Verizon (and Spectrum).

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
What a brilliant ideal!

I've been an advocate for using old/discarded/cheap smartphones for years. Even did a thread on another forum about it, and that's what I've been using for years. Just make sure it has built in gps.
Also use it as a camera and GoPro remote back when they needed it.

Reactions: Scoop and Smitty335
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
What a brilliant ideal!

I've been an advocate for using old/discarded/cheap smartphones for years. Even did a thread on another forum about it, and that's what I've been using for years. Just make sure it has built in gps.
Also use it as a camera and GoPro remote back when they needed it.
Yea, for some reason, some folks have a hard time understanding that "cell phones" have evolved. They really aren't "phones" as much as they are "handheld computers that happen to make phone calls". I have a number of "old phones" that are used strictly for applications that will never get updated, so the devices don't need the latest and greatest OS or software.

Reactions: DG Rider
J

John Mc

Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2023
Vermont
Ownership

1. 520
I have Verizon Wireless with unlimited data on an Apple phone. I use my phone as a WiFi hotspot regularly. I'm not a real data hog about it - I don't stream high-def movies or anything like that, but it works any time I have a good cell signal.

I just checked with my son who has an Android phone on our plan. He can use it as a WiFi hotspot as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red500
Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
I have Verizon Wireless with unlimited data on an Apple phone. I use my phone as a WiFi hotspot regularly. I'm not a real data hog about it - I don't stream high-def movies or anything like that, but it works any time I have a good cell signal.

I just checked with my son who has an Android phone on our plan. He can use it as a WiFi hotspot as well.
Maybe I'll have to take another look at it.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Verizon has started offering plans with and without wifi hotspot. You can save about $5 a month if you take a plan that doesn't allow your phone be a hotspot.

Reactions: Red500

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!