P1000 Proposed Wheel Set-Up

CSmock

CSmock

Lifetime Member
May 24, 2023
Kodak, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've got a '23 1000-3 Trail version and would like to upgrade to 28 inch tires all around (28x10x14). Given I like the 14 inch wheels currently on the rear, do you all see any harm in buying two new rear wheels (from Honda) and then using those on the front? I was thinking this would be a lil cheaper than buying 4 new aftermarket wheels.

This wheel/tire combo would then be used with the RB3 wide track bundle.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got a '23 1000-3 Trail version and would like to upgrade to 28 inch tires all around (28x10x14). Given I like the 14 inch wheels currently on the rear, do you all see any harm in buying two new rear wheels (from Honda) and then using those on the front? I was thinking this would be a lil cheaper than buying 4 new aftermarket wheels.

This wheel/tire combo would then be used with the RB3 wide track bundle.
You need to use front wheels. The rear wheel offset doesn't cooperate on the front

Wisco-Tango

Wisco-Tango

Aug 1, 2022
Fisk, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You would definitely need to space out the fronts quite a bit to get the rear wheels to fit, if at all. As @WagginTail said you'd be better off using two sets of front wheels. I believe the OEM wheels are 6.5" and 8.5" so not even the more typical 7" width of most aftermarket wheels.

CSmock

CSmock

Lifetime Member
May 24, 2023
Kodak, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Currently have 27x11x14 on the rear and 27x9x14 tires on rear and front. Forgive my ignorance, but isn't that an 11 inch wheel and 9 inch wheel? So the 7" width you reference would be a more narrow wheel? I really like your wheels/tires @Wisco-Tango that's a sweet set up.

Reactions: TxDoc
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Currently have 27x11x14 on the rear and 27x9x14 tires on rear and front. Forgive my ignorance, but isn't that an 11 inch wheel and 9 inch wheel? So the 7" width you reference would be a more narrow wheel? I really like your wheels/tires @Wisco-Tango that's a sweet set up.

27 is the tire diameter, 9 and 11 are the tire widths and 14 is the rim diameter. Rim width is usually marked on the rim somewhere, NOT on the tire. But just go with front rims all the way around and you will be good to go. The 7" width @Wisco-Tango mentioned is a very common aftermarket rim width that alot of pioneer owners use

Reactions: Rayger143 and TxDoc
CSmock

CSmock

Lifetime Member
May 24, 2023
Kodak, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thank you @WagginTail. With front rims all the way around, could I still use the wide track bundle (1.5" rear and 1" front spacers) to widen the stance and improve stability?

Reactions: Rayger143 and TxDoc
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thank you @WagginTail. With front rims all the way around, could I still use the wide track bundle (1.5" rear and 1" front spacers) to widen the stance and improve stability?
Yes

If you're trying to save some $, buying 2 new wheels (from Honda) isn't the way.....😬 You can probably find a full set for that price.......just my 2 cents.

You CAN however find a set of take-offs or slightly used sometimes for a decent price.

Good luck 👍

CSmock

CSmock

Lifetime Member
May 24, 2023
Kodak, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks @JenElio, I haven't got a price on the Honda wheels yet, but you're probably right! ha Sounds like I need to investigate further. I know this topic has been beat to death but the wheels/tires/offsets/spacers can be overwhelming.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Aren't there some folks on here running 28x10x14 all the way around on the stock wheels that came with the P1K, even though the fronts are narrower than the rears?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Aren't there some folks on here running 28x10x14 all the way around on the stock wheels that came with the P1K, even though the fronts are narrower than the rears?
Yep. I know jtw ran 28x10r14 terrabites on stock rims. Even bossman had 30's on factory rims I believe.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm also running 28-10-14's on stock wheels with 1" spacers on the rear, unless you stare at it for a bit you really can't notice the wheel difference.
I'd be curious to know the exact height difference between front and back tires at same psi

Reactions: packer58
Wisco-Tango

Wisco-Tango

Aug 1, 2022
Fisk, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'd be curious to know the exact height difference between front and back tires at same psi
I'd be interested as well, as you should just get a bit more bulge on the sidewall with the fronts due to the 2 inch width difference of the rims. I am going to check my OEM takeoffs to see if what I stated before is true on the rim widths. It would make sense based on the tires used by Honda.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd be interested as well, as you should just get a bit more bulge on the sidewall with the fronts due to the 2 inch width difference of the rims. I am going to check my OEM takeoffs to see if what I stated before is true on the rim widths. It would make sense based on the tires used by Honda.
Maybe you can hook up @CSmock with your factory rims. 🤷‍♂️

P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I would think that in order to get a true tire diameter with equal tire pressure you would have to get all the weight of of it, either take it off the machine or jack it up. I think i'm running 12 psi in fronts and rears but have a relatively heavy spare tire / gas can rack behind the tailgate + toolbox in the bed, rears are deff a touch shorter and softer with the added weight.

Reactions: WagginTail
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm pretty sure the rears are 8 inches wide and not 8.5 inches.

Reactions: Wisco-Tango
Wisco-Tango

Wisco-Tango

Aug 1, 2022
Fisk, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm pretty sure the rears are 8 inches wide and not 8.5 inches.
@TripleB you are right about the rears. The rears are 14 x 8 and the fronts are 14 x 6.5 based on what is stamped on them.
Offsets are 5 x 1.5 on the fronts and 6 x 2 on the rears as close as I could measure. Hence the reason you'd never want to run the rears on the front of the machine as they extend 1 inch further in from the rotor mounting surface.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!