P1000 Rear diff noise

brock

brock

Feb 3, 2014
Arkansas
Has anyone notice the whining gears in the rearend. Mine howls like the ring and pinion arent shimmed correctly. Also when i take off sometimes there is a Thump noise coming from the rear diff. Sounds like slack in rearend?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The whining will get quieter with time, it's the way the gears are manufactured. You should change the rear oil at the break in interval AND at the first service interval.

The thump not sure about, haven't gotten mine yet.

brock

brock

Feb 3, 2014
Arkansas
The whining will get quieter with time, it's the way the gears are manufactured. You should change the rear oil at the break in interval AND at the first service interval.

The thump not sure about, haven't gotten mine yet.

thats what i was hoping for the whining doesnt bother me too much but the thump has me a little worried. Guess i will wait and see what happens

wilson111

wilson111

Jun 11, 2015
SC
thats what i was hoping for the whining doesnt bother me too much but the thump has me a little worried. Guess i will wait and see what happens
You may be hearing the gears shift....when mine shifts it does have a thump but seems to be quieter than at first.

brock

brock

Feb 3, 2014
Arkansas
You may be hearing the gears shift....when mine shifts it does have a thump but seems to be quieter than at first.
It does it when your in first gear going very slow around 4 mph if i let off the pedal and then press it (lightly) to take off it thumps a little. Probably just a little slack it the rearend but it doesnt sound to great. My p700 has never done this. Im going to see what it does in low.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Do you notice it more then the 700 because of how much quieter the 1000 is or is it really noticeable

ButchersHook

ButchersHook

May 13, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Comparing 700 shift noises to 1000 is like apples to oranges. The low end thump is the shift soleniod. It gets quiter with more miles. also low speed tends to be louder and more noticeable. This machine is so quiet there has to be something we can complain about as being to loud!

brock

brock

Feb 3, 2014
Arkansas
Do you notice it more then the 700 because of how much quieter the 1000 is or is it really noticeable
Comparing 700 shift noises to 1000 is like apples to oranges. The low end thump is the shift soleniod. It gets quiter with more miles. also low speed tends to be louder and more noticeable. This machine is so quiet there has to be something we can complain about as being to loud!
Thanks but im not comparing the 700 shift noises to the 1000 as im not talking about a shift noise to start with. I am very familiar with the noise that the shift solinoid makes (5) times while driving. As i mentioned it does it when in first gear at a slow speed. I.e. Come to a slow role about 3 or 4 mph then as soon as you touch the pedal thump. No shifting has occurred yet and it does it in first gear manual mode too when no shifting has taken place yet and it does it in manual mode first gear as well. I dont think they have the ring and pinion gear set up correctly as it sounds like slack between the gears.

Last edited by a moderator:
sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Not sure if it's the same noise as the p500...sounds like it, but some have gotten the noise down by putting Mobil 1 75-140 in the front and rear end.

advertisement
franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi you all. Am glad someone else has noticed a general clunking noise from the rear end of my new 1000-5 when it shifts gears. I was hoping this was not just my new ride and something to worry about (hate taking vehicles back to dealership with unusual problems, they usually tell me I'm the only one ever had this problem?). Anyway with other 1000-5 experience, does it quieter after more miles on unit? Would appreciate all comments on noise. Thanks

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Similar dilemmas happened to the snowmobile market when machines became quieter especially the new 4-strokes. Suddenly people could hear the track/under carriage and clutch/chain case rattle.

Reactions: franzw
franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Similar dilemmas happened to the snowmobile market when machines became quieter especially the new 4-strokes. Suddenly people could hear the track/under carriage and clutch/chain case rattle.
Thanks man, happy trails. Sitting here in my lazy boy, there is snow falling outside and my seahawks are smoking hot so far 24 to6, could life get much better?

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks but im not comparing the 700 shift noises to the 1000 as im not talking about a shift noise to start with. I am very familiar with the noise that the shift solinoid makes (5) times while driving. As i mentioned it does it when in first gear at a slow speed. I.e. Come to a slow role about 3 or 4 mph then as soon as you touch the pedal thump. No shifting has occurred yet and it does it in first gear manual mode too when no shifting has taken place yet and it does it in manual mode first gear as well. I dont think they have the ring and pinion gear set up correctly as it sounds like slack between the gears.
That could the the locker in the rear end for turf mode vs 2wd. Mine was not engaging disengage right I had to loosen the adjustment hasn't done tot since and it goes from turf mode to 2 wd a lot better now. There is a thread on this adjustment

franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That could the the locker in the rear end for turf mode vs 2wd. Mine was not engaging disengage right I had to loosen the adjustment hasn't done tot since and it goes from turf mode to 2 wd a lot better now. There is a thread on this adjustment
Thanks for the info, so far have only driven it around town in 2wd, auto mode (street legal) and was noticing the shifting clunking noise. Other replies have stated it is normal so I am reseigned to that. Maybe it will get quieter with more miles on it.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the info, so far have only driven it around town in 2wd, auto mode (street legal) and was noticing the shifting clunking noise. Other replies have stated it is normal so I am reseigned to that. Maybe it will get quieter with more miles on it.
Yeah you do here it shift. The noise I'm referring to is a loud pop. That's the locker don't fully engaged and pops out

brock

brock

Feb 3, 2014
Arkansas
Yeah you do here it shift. The noise I'm referring to is a loud pop. That's the locker don't fully engaged and pops out
Thanks for the reply and your imput. I will look at the thread you mentioned and see if i can adjust the shift linkage. Hopefully that will fix it. Its be doing this since i bought it on 10-27-15

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!