P1000 Rough idle, running rich, and stalls when in gear

D3llav8r

D3llav8r

May 14, 2022
Alabama, USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I bought a 2020 1K3 in late April this year, and it ran wonderful for about 2 weeks. When I bought it the machine only had 18 miles, practically brand new. Got in it and rode prolly 10 mins no problem. While stopped waiting on shop doors to open it started skipping while in gear and all of a sudden stalled when you gave it the slightest bit of gas. Put in park and cranked it up, idles rough and can smell unburnt gas. I noticed, after driving in reverse for a 1/4 of a mile back to the house, the exhaust was GLOWING orange. But no codes on dash at all. At first I thought maybe bad gas. Cleaned the tank out and put fresh gas in it, Same problem. Checked battery voltage 14.7 volts. Checked fluids and all were good and full. I finally set my eyes on the fuel pump since it hasn’t been upgraded from the recall. It just so happened to be time for its first service aswell. I took it to the dealer for service and valve adjusting while there I let them change the fuel pump and told them about the problem. They said they would look at it however it IS out of warranty due to the year. I decided after a few hours of them trying to find the problem to bring it home cause I didn’t want to pay the $125 an hour labor charge.
Does anyone have any ideas on what might be the problem??? Thanks for the help

Reactions: Lady01 and JenElio
H

HondaTech

Usually if its the pump the machine just doesnt run at all or intermittently starts/runs.

The Fuel Pump update campaign is avaliable until 2030, regardless of warranty status.

Pull the spark plugs and see what they look like, with the low miles, it could've fouled one running short trips. Ive had a couple Talons like this in the last couple of months.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The wiring to the injectors has been a problem (bad connection). Sounds like a likely cause from your description. The club store has a fixit I think.

D3llav8r

D3llav8r

May 14, 2022
Alabama, USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Usually if its the pump the machine just doesnt run at all or intermittently starts/runs.

The Fuel Pump update campaign is avaliable until 2030, regardless of warranty status.

Pull the spark plugs and see what they look like, with the low miles, it could've fouled one running short trips. Ive had a couple Talons like this in the last couple of months.
I will give it a shot and see! Preciate the info! Dealer supposedly checked the plugs but I never heard anything for certain from them.

D3llav8r

D3llav8r

May 14, 2022
Alabama, USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Update
After finally getting my P1K3 back from its first service, recall and having them look into my problem, nobody could give me any answers. I finally said screw it, picked it up myself and got back home. I finally got under there and got to digging. Started with the plugs. Pulled them out and this is what I found. I put two brand new ones in there and she runs like new again. 89 miles on the machine. I’m thinking maybe the fuel pump (which was recalled and I had fixed while being serviced) wasn’t pulling enough fuel and killed that plug, which led to my problem of rough idling and stalling. Simple fix! Yet nobody from Honda could do it or took the time to do it!

620326C0 7914 4056 AAB9 E19152AB298D

H

HondaTech

Update
After finally getting my P1K3 back from its first service, recall and having them look into my problem, nobody could give me any answers. I finally said screw it, picked it up myself and got back home. I finally got under there and got to digging. Started with the plugs. Pulled them out and this is what I found. I put two brand new ones in there and she runs like new again. 89 miles on the machine. I’m thinking maybe the fuel pump (which was recalled and I had fixed while being serviced) wasn’t pulling enough fuel and killed that plug, which led to my problem of rough idling and stalling. Simple fix! Yet nobody from Honda could do it or took the time to do it!

View attachment 339217

More than likely caused by short trips without getting the machine hot and "cleaning" it out.

All keep it simple, itll save you time and time again.

Scott-D

Scott-D

Jul 19, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
More than likely caused by short trips without getting the machine hot and "cleaning" it out.

All keep it simple, itll save you time and time again.

Agreed. My 2019 Pioneer 1000 EPS did the same thing as the OP's. It has around 45 miles on it and I am guilty of not running it long enough to get it hot.

$44.00 later and it's back to normal. I guess it needs to run 15 minutes or so to make sure the plugs aren't wrecked again.

While it was idling, I heard the electric fan on the radiator turn on. That was probably the second time that has ever happened. :D

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Deleted for inaccuracy. 😊

Last edited:
Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Was looking into having plugs on hand.
From the NGK website @CID
. "This part is not compatible with your vehicle'

NOGO sparkplug

and this one
."This part is compatible with your vehicle"
GO sparkplug

My 2018 Manual does say SILMAR7A9S (NGK)
Would be nice to know what the difference is.
Is the Talon plug a hotter plug?
edit to answer my own question
according to NGK exact same plug, but
- SILMAR7A9S heat range 7
- SILMAR8A9S heat range 8
edit to add additional information
According to the NGK website
"The heat rating is a measure of the amount of heat dissipation. The heat range of a spark plug is the range in which the plug works well thermally. The heat rating of each NGK spark plug is indicated by a number; lower numbers indicate a hotter type, higher numbers indicate a colder type."
Wow!, that website has some good information.
So, my thinking was wrong. The pioneer has a hotter plug then the Talon.
Learn something new every day.
Have a good day

Last edited:
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So if someone just uses their machine around the house for short chores here and there, they're prone to fouling out their plugs? Interesting...

Reactions: ODAMO
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
So if someone just uses their machine around the house for short chores here and there, they're prone to fouling out their plugs? Interesting...
It's my understanding that plugs 'burn themselves clean' and if they never get up to temp, deposits will continue to accumulate until the plug fouls - doo doo on the insulator will provide the spark a path to ground that's easier than jumping the gap.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Update

View attachment 339217
This is what concerns me the most about America, more and more people are just not concerned with putting in a fair days work, And they're not just screwing themselves out of a better future, they're screwing over other americans by not contributing.
Shame they couldnt even figure out the first thing to check......

Reactions: Ron B and Scott-D

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!