P1000m5 Ruined front tires after about 75 miles on pavement?

Arizona

Arizona

Sep 1, 2016
Casa Grande & Show Low Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I like those Tensors too, but the Terrabite look like a very similar tire for about $50 per tire less.

edit: after looking a little closer, maybe the Terrabite are a touch more aggressive.
Another thought, weight. The 28" Tensor tire is listed as 28 lbs. The Terrabite 28" is listed as 33 lbs. With my Tensor's I can feel the heavier weight, a bit more sluggish starts, more braking to stop, IMO well worth it for a 'tank' tire. But I wouldn't want anything heavier like 5 lbs more each tire for the Terrabite. I get a little concerned with the heavier Tensor's causing a bit more Commander belt wear on startup from stop, but not much concern on a Honda Pioneer with gear transmission?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Another thought, weight. The 28" Tensor tire is listed as 28 lbs. The Terrabite 28" is listed as 33 lbs. With my Tensor's I can feel the heavier weight, a bit more sluggish starts, more braking to stop, IMO well worth it for a 'tank' tire. But I wouldn't want anything heavier like 5 lbs more each tire for the Terrabite. I get a little concerned with the heavier Tensor's causing a bit more Commander belt wear on startup from stop, but not much concern on a Honda Pioneer with gear transmission?

I do think that a heavier tire will still wear on the clutches a little. Clutches or belt however you look at it are the slip point. The clutches last longer but the percentage of wear would still carry over.

Sent from iPhone

Reactions: Arizona and JTW
J

JTW

I do think that a heavier tire will still wear on the clutches a little. Clutches or belt however you look at it are the slip point. The clutches last longer but the percentage of wear would still carry over.

Sent from iPhone
Handy really thought about that.. Good point!

Reactions: Arizona
Arizona

Arizona

Sep 1, 2016
Ownership

1. 500

Sent from iPhone
True and good point about slip in either system. I'm probably splitting hairs with total extra tire weight of maybe 25 lbs. over stock tires? I usually ride alone, and that might be like putting 25 extra lbs. in the passenger seat, but then again putting heavier tires as rotational mass getting in motion from a stop might take more effort than that same weight just sitting on the machine? I've read and been told by qualified people that when you start from stop especially with drive belts, don't ease throttle into it slowly, give it a decent blip of throttle to engage things quickly for less slip, then can ease throttle if desired, makes good sense to me. And of course use low range properly, and don't let the machine idle in drive for long like getting off to open a gate, put in neutral to release any possible friction, probably applies much more to drive belts. My P-500 idles fine in gear, takes some RPM above idle to start engaging.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That's true about rolling weight. I've learned that with dirt bikes it's considerably heavier. I'm harder on stuff then most so I've already had problems. But I'm also needing a tire much like this and will probably get a set soon but the terrabites I'm not interested in anymore because of the extra. How much harder on a clutch is a heavy tire I'm not sure and to calculate that would be tough but I'm still willing as well. I think if you're being easy on the rig and taking off correctly it really shouldn't be too much difference. Keep in mind there are always trade offs. Damn near anything we do to a pioneer will affect long to longevity in someway. Heavier tires will effect suspension and wheel bearing life to a degree as well.
As for me I'm thinking these will be my choice in tires.

Sent from iPhone

Reactions: GlockMeister
DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That's true about rolling weight. I've learned that with dirt bikes it's considerably heavier. I'm harder on stuff then most so I've already had problems. But I'm also needing a tire much like this and will probably get a set soon but the terrabites I'm not interested in anymore because of the extra. How much harder on a clutch is a heavy tire I'm not sure and to calculate that would be tough but I'm still willing as well. I think if you're being easy on the rig and taking off correctly it really shouldn't be too much difference. Keep in mind there are always trade offs. Damn near anything we do to a pioneer will affect long to longevity in someway. Heavier tires will effect suspension and wheel bearing life to a degree as well.

Sent from iPhone

While I can not disagree with your theory, I believe that small amount of tire weight is splitting hairs. I also understand that it all adds up and you usually have a full load. 20 pounds, 5 pounds per wheel is unsprung so its not a load on the chassis, but is on the driveline, just the same as it would be if you had 20 pounds more of Coors Light in the cooler in the back than one normally does. But with the cooler in the back, now you have the chassis load AND the driveline load. I think one could have 10 pounds of weight per tire just based on the conditions that come and go 10 times over through the course of a ride with things like mud sticking on them. It is also probable that a tire with less aggressive tread will slip more in many conditions nullifying some of the effect of the increased weight. Again, splitting hairs. The thing that's gets my attention is the $200 less cost for a set of 4. I can just about buy a set of aluminum rims for that price, which will also offset the tire weight and look cooler!

Just thinking out loud here, if you have a 27" tire and a 28" tire and they weigh the same, which one if any creates more stress to the driveline? Does the size of the tire (traction and rolling/braking resistance comes to mind) cause the stress as much as the weight would or would not? We could probably go on and on and use up all 20 pounds of the previously mentioned Coors light if we ever got together to talk about random things like this but.....

Arizona

Arizona

Sep 1, 2016
Ownership

1. 500

Sent from iPhone
After more research I have slightly revised tire weights (tough to find them) Since the P-1000 uses 12" rims (1000-5 Deluxe uses 14" rims)
Tensor tires 12" rims x 28" dia. = 28 lbs. 14" rims x 28" dia. = 31 lbs. (14" what my Commander uses/31lbs. per tire)
Tusk Terrabite was going to list weight of 12" rims x 28" dia. but Rocky Mountain does not show 12" x 28" available, they show...
27x9-12 (30lbs.) - 27x11-12 (32.7lbs.) - 28x10-14 (32.8lbs.) - 30x10-14 (34.9lbs.) So seems for the P-1000 unless it's a deluxe, you'd need to use the 27" Terrabite tires with the 27" rims. If 27" Tensor tires were available for my Commander I would have gotten them, but only 28" available.
*You might want to also consider STI Chicane RX DOT approved 8 ply radial tires, just a little bit heavier than the Tensor's, more sizes available, and less expensive. Going back in time, I probably would have gotten the 27" Chicane's @ 30lbs. for my Commander.
Tensor... Tensor Regulator Radial Tire | ATV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
Terrabite... Tusk Terrabite Radial Tire | ATV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
Chicane... STI Chicane RX Tire | Tires and Wheels | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC
Chicane specs...
SIZE PLY RATING OVERALL DIAMETER (Inches) TREAD DEPTH (Inches) MAX PSI MAX LOAD CAPACITY @ 18 PSI TIRE WEIGHT (Pounds) PART #
26 / 10R-12 = 29 lbs.
27 / 10R-14 = 30 lbs.
28 / 10R-14 = 31.7 lbs.
30 / 10R-14 = 37.4 lbs.
30 / 10R-15 = 36.5 lbs.
32 / 10R-15 = 42 lbs.
*Uh oh, just noticed Chicane only offered in 12" rims is the 26" dia. Back to the Tensor's or Terrabite's for the P-1000 (Non deluxe) Ok for Commander though.

Last edited:
Arizona

Arizona

Sep 1, 2016
Ownership

1. 500
While I can not disagree with your theory, I believe that small amount of tire weight is splitting hairs. I also understand that it all adds up and you usually have a full load. 20 pounds, 5 pounds per wheel is unsprung so its not a load on the chassis, but is on the driveline, just the same as it would be if you had 20 pounds more of Coors Light in the cooler in the back than one normally does. But with the cooler in the back, now you have the chassis load AND the driveline load. I think one could have 10 pounds of weight per tire just based on the conditions that come and go 10 times over through the course of a ride with things like mud sticking on them. It is also probable that a tire with less aggressive tread will slip more in many conditions nullifying some of the effect of the increased weight. Again, splitting hairs. The thing that's gets my attention is the $200 less cost for a set of 4. I can just about buy a set of aluminum rims for that price, which will also offset the tire weight and look cooler!

Just thinking out loud here, if you have a 27" tire and a 28" tire and they weigh the same, which one if any creates more stress to the driveline? Does the size of the tire (traction and rolling/braking resistance comes to mind) cause the stress as much as the weight would or would not? We could probably go on and on and use up all 20 pounds of the previously mentioned Coors light if we ever got together to talk about random things like this but.....
Great points. IMO the larger diameter the tire, the more driveline stress (takes more effort & energy to get rolling) I don't drink lite beer, drink full flavor, even more driveline stress when I pick up a couple cases at a time in my P-500 or Commander :)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Another couple great points!!

Sent from iPhone

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

Hold on I didn't say it makes much difference but to a degree it does. You're probably right about 5 pounds not being a big deal but weight is being added before that 5 pounds as well. Rolling weight is a lot different then chassis weight. To get that weight spinning is a whole different deal. The further that weight is out by far the worse it is. Do I think it's going to be drastic no. I suppose if you drove it really hard then maybe a lot more. This is a very heavy vehicle we're talking about here so Itll definitely make less difference. But let's say the clutches or a belt were already close to their maximum weight with passengers and cargo and you added 10 pounds to each wheel then that's a lot. I actually wanted to use big truck tires on my machine until my first clutch failure but after im looking around just a bit more. I'm not going to drive it differently but I will purposely watch a few things. I don't want to go much heavier or much wider and especially much taller but that's me and everyone rides differently I just don't want to add a ton more load on the clutches then I already am. Most people though don't carry the weight or load that we do.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!