People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
my 2015 500 will have over 4k miles by spring, looking forward to getting 19 with the auto shift option probably white-will then order new hood & fenders in the original yellow, a kool color. This machine has done everything we have asked of it and done it cheaply-best we have found.
I have a new 1000 and a 2017 p5. This is my second p5 because I missed it when I sold it a few months ago! It kinda grows on ya when you don’t have it.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
my 2015 500 will have over 4k miles by spring, looking forward to getting 19 with the auto shift option probably white-will then order new hood & fenders in the original yellow, a kool color. This machine has done everything we have asked of it and done it cheaply-best we have found.
I went from a 2015 to 2017 which includes the auto and find myself using the manual shifting far more than auto and that may due to the way I was trained/introduced coming from a 2015. Unless I have forgotten (high probability), I don't remember my 2015 downshifting automatically like the 2017 even in manual mode; that is, when you are running along in say 3/4 or 5th and let off it will downshift automatically and allow you to continue on without manually downshift, but you still have to upshift. Also, you can start it in 2nd gear, just put your foot on the break and start/go....

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Yes, the auto will downshift down to 2nd. Even in auto, like hiw it allows use of the paddle shifter to override. Curious, does the 15-16 engine stall out in a higher gear if going too slow, for example what happens during a stop while in 3 rd? Does the clutch just disengage?

Last edited:
GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
My first was a 2015 and it would not down shift automatically. Which was nice. The downshifting auto is okay I guess but I'd prefer it not to do that automatically. Gearing ratios are so close together on the first 4 gears that I can't imagine why it would have to downshift to 2nd...I mean it has enough torque to start out in 3rd if needed.

I like the auto option on this one when traveling down the road though but for trail use I'd NEVER use auto mode. Manual shifts so much smoother than auto does too. IDK why that is but maybe a breakin thing Idk. So far I don't care for the bigger side torso bars and prefer the older ones better. I'm going to have to find some padding for those stupid bars somewhere. I thought @100Acre had some sort of padding on his at the takeover. But the gearing is definitely different between the two of them! But I'm glad I got this one because I can ride the restricted trails and have fun doing it!

Reactions: trigger and Mudder
J

JTW

My first was a 2015 and it would not down shift automatically. Which was nice. The downshifting auto is okay I guess but I'd prefer it not to do that automatically. Gearing ratios are so close together on the first 4 gears that I can't imagine why it would have to downshift to 2nd...I mean it has enough torque to start out in 3rd if needed.

I like the auto option on this one when traveling down the road though but for trail use I'd NEVER use auto mode. Manual shifts so much smoother than auto does too. IDK why that is but maybe a breakin thing Idk. So far I don't care for the bigger side torso bars and prefer the older ones better. I'm going to have to find some padding for those stupid bars somewhere. I thought @100Acre had some sort of padding on his at the takeover. But the gearing is definitely different between the two of them! But I'm glad I got this one because I can ride the restricted trails and have fun doing it!
What restricted trails?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Yes, the auto will downshift down to 2nd. Even in auto, like hiw it allows use of the paddle shifter to override. Curious, does the 15-16 engine stall out in a higher gear if going too slow, for example what happens during a stop while in 3 rd? Does the clutch just disengage?

Mine's a '15 and wouldn't downshift once, stuck in 5th and sitting at a corner. Knew I could use the shift tool but it's so low geared I went for it from a dead stop. Loaded it on the trailer that way too. Adjusted the clutch when I got home, shifts perfect ever since.
Automatic is so the girls can drive it too. :p

J

JTW

Mine's a '15 and wouldn't downshift once, stuck in 5th and sitting at a corner. Knew I could use the shift tool but it's so low geared I went for it from a dead stop. Loaded it on the trailer that way too. Adjusted the clutch when I got home, shifts perfect ever since.
Automatic is so the girls can drive it too. :p
Auto makes beer drinking easier!

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Pool Noodles or pipe insulation.

Reactions: GRANITE

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!