Son’s 2023 elk back from the taxidermist

npaden

npaden

Mar 22, 2024
Lubbock, Texas
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Not really Honda SxS related but I’m a pretty proud pappa right now so thought it would share here in the other topics forum.

He shot this bull last October on a tiny chunk of public land next to our property we own in Colorado.
IMG 8618

We don't use a winch, cut 'em up and haul them out on our back.
IMG 8644

Well, at least haul them as far as where the machine is parked! ;)

I just thought about it, and I'm not sure that rack would have fit inside the bed of the new to me Pioneer 1000-5! I bet we could have figured out a way though.

IMG 8649

Just got it back from the taxidermist this week and got it on the wall.

IMG 9301

IMG 9295

IMG 9312

Hunting is a pretty big deal to us, we enjoy riding the machines but enjoy the places they take us a little more probably.

Last edited:
Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Not really Honda SxS related but I’m a pretty proud pappa right now so thought it would share here in the other topics forum.

He shot this bull last October on a tiny chunk of public land next to our property we own in Colorado.
View attachment 424489
View attachment 424490
View attachment 424491

View attachment 424492
View attachment 424493
View attachment 424494

Hunting is a pretty big deal to us, we enjoy riding the machines but enjoy the places they take us a little more probably.
Welcome and congrats to the young man on a great hunt.

npaden

npaden

Mar 22, 2024
Lubbock, Texas
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thanks everyone! His elk gross scored 371" and has amazing mass all the way back. It has a broken g3 on his left side otherwise he would have netted to make the minimum Boone and Crockett. I shot the elk in my avatar in Wyoming in 2013 and it gross scored 372" but didn't have anything broken so it actually made the minimum Boone and Crockett net score of 360" for a typical elk.

It’s always hard to get a good perspective on the size of an animal. My son is 17 but he is 6’2” so that changes the perspective a bit. When the taxidermist was working on it I stopped by his shop to check on it and took this picture. Having a guy who is around 5’7” in the frame makes the elk look huge! You really get a feel for the mass on the antlers in this picture as the antlers are about the size of his arms.

IMG 0991

We celebrated getting him back from the taxidermist by eating some of his backstraps.
IMG 9323

Last edited:
The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Holy crap, those are some nice bulls. I'd love to get one someday. Been out west a couple times chasing them on backpacking trips but failed miserably.

lowranger

lowranger

Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2020
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thanks everyone! His elk gross scored 371" and has amazing mass all the way back. It has a broken g3 on his left side otherwise he would have netted to make the minimum Boone and Crockett. I shot the elk in my avatar in Wyoming in 2013 and it gross scored 372" but didn't have anything broken so it actually made the minimum Boone and Crockett net score of 360" for a typical elk.

It’s always hard to get a good perspective on the size of an animal. My son is 17 but he is 6’2” so that changes the perspective a bit. When the taxidermist was working on it I stopped by his shop to check on it and took this picture. Having a guy who is around 5’7” in the frame makes the elk look huge! You really get a feel for the mass on the antlers in this picture as the antlers are about the size of his arms.

View attachment 425296
We celebrated getting him back from the taxidermist by eating some of his backstraps.
View attachment 425298
My wife's elk she killed in 2013 in Idaho. Scored 376 1/4.
IMG 20240117 125222923 HDR

lowranger

lowranger

Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2020
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X
T

tnoutdoors

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2022
Middle Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 424489

View attachment 424490

I just thought about it, and I'm not sure that rack would have fit inside the bed of the new to me Pioneer 1000-5! I bet we could have figured out a way though.

View attachment 424491

View attachment 424492
View attachment 424493
View attachment 424494

Awesome hunt and outcomes, end-to-end. Congrats to your son/young man. Love seeing big bulls and the memories and the joy they bring. I'm 60 this year and a TN native. Bucket list item yet to attempt is a bull elk with my bow. I'm still focused on the experience and prepping as best I can (health, excercise, research, and shooting arrows). Lord willing I hope to at least go and get after one.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 424489

View attachment 424490

View attachment 424491

View attachment 424492
View attachment 424493
View attachment 424494

View attachment 424489

View attachment 424490

View attachment 424491

View attachment 424492
View attachment 424493
View attachment 424494

We should be friends! I want to experience that hunt. I don't care if I kill anything. Just want to call one in !

T

tnoutdoors

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2022
Middle Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We should be friends! I want to experience that hunt. I don't care if I kill anything. Just want to call one in !
All for it @Plumber32. And the same expectations. Several TN friends have been without success, both guided and self-guided. I am taking notes on guides, locations and such. Happy to share plans when it all gets serious.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
I've been out to Colorado on a 2nd rifle hunt and to Riggins, Idaho on a bow hunt, both backpacking. Both highly unsuccessful. If you do nothing else before you go into the mountains, get into decent shape. I was in OK shape when I went and the mountains still kicked my ass.

Reactions: TxDoc and npaden
npaden

npaden

Mar 22, 2024
Lubbock, Texas
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Hunting on public land out west has gotten super popular and people tend to be pretty stingy with information and when/how/where to go after them. I apply for tags in nearly every western state and it has gone from 15 years ago where I could pretty much count on having at least one elk tag every year to now going 3 and 4 years between drawing a tag.

That's why I bought our place in Colorado. With over the counter tags for 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons (at least that's the way it is now, they are talking about all tags going to a draw possibly) I at least get to hunt elk every year.

There is still a lot of public land out west to hunt on, but it is getting more crowded with hunters, backpackers, etc. every year.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!