Spare Tire in box mount

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Made a spare tire mount,that's inside the box.The plate bolts right into the same spot that I took 2 bolts out that mount the box to the frame,the 2 holes closer to the side I drilled them so that they also mount through the frame under neath. I don't like traveling any place without a spare tire.Couple years ago we were out about 45 miles from home when we had a railway spike flatten a tire. Sure I carry a compressor and tire plugs but wow the spike cut the tire like a tee and put a 5/8" hole into it. I plugged the hole with all the plugs I had [10] and stuck some plastic over the sticky mess.We managed to get home with it like that but had to stop and fill the tire every 2 miles.So after that I carry a spare in each machine.It gives me a better feeling knowing that I have a way home.

Attachments

• pioneer spare tire 003 (Small).jpg
    pioneer spare tire 003 (Small).jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,538
  • pioneer spare tire 004 (Small).jpg
    pioneer spare tire 004 (Small).jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,431
  • pioneer spare tire 005 (Small).jpg
    pioneer spare tire 005 (Small).jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 1,747
B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
Nice mount!

Did you buy an extra tire/wheel? I need one, but hate spending 200+ for stock wheel and tire really.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
binfordw said:
Nice mount!

Did you buy an extra tire/wheel? I need one, but hate spending 200+ for stock wheel and tire really.
I put Alum rims on so I had a rim for the spare.The tire is just a used one off my other side x side that's the same size. Doesn't have to be perfect so long as it'll carry the machine home its good to go.
Could you try one of the Dealers close to you that say maybe they up graded the rims on one. I like to keep my rims just incase I upgrade to Radial and heavier ply tires this way I can always put the stock tires back on and put them on the machine if I want one day.

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
I asked my dealer last time I was there, they said everyone takes their old stuff with them. The stock tires are pricey, $169 from dealer. I might buy a rim and find a cheaper tire to use as a spare.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
How would a design like this work for a P4. I am thinking the same way. But find the position so when the back seat is up the tire rests on the tail gate. Gate may have to be down but tire should keep it from bouncing up and down.

Which rim would be better. Front or rear?

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Hondasxs said:
Which rim would be better. Front or rear?
I used the rear rim just because the spare tire is 25x10

B

Bobbo64

Aug 28, 2013
On my 700-4, I am thinking about building a bracket or something and attach it to the top of the roll cage in the rear. I would only be carrying a spare when I was going on a long trail trip. Thought about building a compartment by attaching it to the roll cage in rear above the bed.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got a hitch carrier for a SUV that I'm going to modify to carry a light load but be mounted much higher. Thinking I could put a spare there

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I thought about mounting it on top. But I don't want to add any more top weight to it.

advertisement
duwops

duwops

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2013
I've got an idea for a front bumper mount, that way I won't loose cargo space. Nothing on paper yet just some thoughts.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What about mounting it off the ROPS at the very back so it clears the door and still lets the bed dump?

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
ohanacreek said:
What about mounting it off the ROPS at the very back so it clears the door and still lets the bed dump?

I've started basically just that. However I haven't had the free time to get any farther on it yet, my timeline is just getting it done before the group ride really. I want to carry a spare, and 2 rotopax fuel/storage cans on it. The carrier removes quickly, and leaves just the mount on the passenger side ROPS, which doesnt affect tailgate or bed dumping. I don't plan on needing to carry a spare or fuel much really- aside from the group ride, but after that, I can mount a chainsaw and use Rotopax cans for 2 stroke mix and bar oil, should be pretty slick. Will leave room for a full bed of wood and still have a secure place for the fuel/saw.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The chainsaw was why I was looking to use the ROPS and stabilize off the ROPS mounts under the bed at the rear.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The swing away is nice I hope it would mount in such a way it would clear the ROPS and still dump

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
ohanacreek said:
The swing away is nice I hope it would mount in such a way it would clear the ROPS and still dump

Mine does. No reason a mount couldnt be made that didn't use the ROPS for the 700-2's either, but its pretty easy with the roll bar back there already.