Stock talon springs

L

Lilred02

Feb 7, 2021
Debary Fl
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Can somebody please measure the preload on their stock talon Springs? I just put nandits on mine and did the 5 in front and 4 in the rear and I think its way to high, I also did a 2"lift so Im way off now lol. And yes I know I should have measured before and after like I always do with all my trucks but I got sidetracked and excited to put this stuff on.....thanks in advance

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Take the 2" lift out if you don't like how tall it is.....

It would also help to know if it's a X or R model.

L

Lilred02

Feb 7, 2021
Debary Fl
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Sorry guys, its a 2021 x4

Its not that I dont like the lift I justvwant to make sure my springs are too preloaded lol. I was just hoping someone with a stock machine could measure their preload

Reactions: Plumber32
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Sorry guys, its a 2021 x4

Its not that I dont like the lift I justvwant to make sure my springs are too preloaded lol. I was just hoping someone with a stock machine could measure their i set mine as per Bandit instruction, then drove it around. Jacked it back up as per the instructions and turned the rings( after marking the ring ) a few more turns until the spring was loaded slightly. Drove it again and checked again for preload. After a ride of a couple miles i added about 4 more turns all the way around,i wanted a little stiffer ride. I just made sure both fronts and both rears were same measurements

L

Lilred02

Feb 7, 2021
Debary Fl
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Yes see thats what my instructions said, but everything else I read said 5" in the front and 4 in the rear.

All I really want is someone to measure their stock preload for me please.

Reactions: Plumber32
L

Lilred02

Feb 7, 2021
Debary Fl
Ownership

1. Talon X4
This is where Im at now in the front

20210310 135640

prostreet66mustang

prostreet66mustang

Dec 6, 2020
Oro Valley (Tucson) Az
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hi I think what you are looking for is that with these coil overs or struts what ever you want to call them, the preload is set by the ride height. Sort of suck with no rebound control. My two seater they set as 13" front ride height to the inner Lower rear a arm bolt and 12.5 to the back bottom of your skid plate. Ad your 2" lift and that should give you a starting point. Measure after adjusting and run it for a bit to settle. Weight you ad will cause you to put more preload in it and your driving style. I am racing so mine is 4.3/4 in the front as at speed the stock setting was too light. Setting up these SXS is way different than on a road race car that you have the preload setting, they do it by ride height. Just a FYI mine was setting about a full 1" after each adjustment so I did mine at a track where I could adjust and then test. Remember you have to adjust the tender stop as well each time. Took me two full days to get a ride height and dampening set after all new Items. I am having to run about 2.5 over stock height with out a lift which is too firm for most people but needed for what I put it through. Hope it will help.

L

Lilred02

Feb 7, 2021
Debary Fl
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Thank you for the ride info about the track stuff. Yes I wish it was easier but I take the shocks off each time because how tight it is

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thank you for the ride info about the track stuff. Yes I wish it was easier but I take the shocks off each time because how tight it is
That's doing it the hard way.
1. I've read that you can jack it up until the suspension is full droop and turn the springs by hand which in turn will turn the preload rings, I haven't tried it this way but heard it from a SxS wizard so believe it to be true. A strap wrench will help.
2. Get yourself a spanner to fit the X4. I turned my rear preload rings 20 turns tighter to compensate for the weight I've added and it went faster than I thought it would. I still had to unload the suspension or the preload rings turned very hard.

Just measure your shock diameter and search for Fox 2" (?) Spanner and you'll get this - (I don't know what shocks the X has)

These are mine for the 2-1/2" Fox on the R - (I only used the top one but they come in pairs)

Last edited:
L

Lilred02

Feb 7, 2021
Debary Fl
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Thanks so much so I guess 3.75 in the front and 5 in the rear isnt too bad. I am lifted up higher and will have to measure it again tomorrow when i get home from my fire station.

Reactions: toddvdh
L

Lilred02

Feb 7, 2021
Debary Fl
Ownership

1. Talon X4
https://amazon.com/dp/B07VLTXDW7/?tag=sxsweb24-20

I bought these because i needed them next day, they seemed to work pretty good

Reactions: toddvdh and CID
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Very nice, are you liking it??? I know you haven’t used it much yet.
Only thing I've really done is blast up and down the blacktop. Don't believe I'll get my first ride till may. In the process of ordering a bunch of accessories, but I think I'll really like it. More comfortable for everyone .

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!