P1000 Switches install

C

Commander

Aug 28, 2022
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does anybody know how to install switches in a 22 1K5. Have a light bar I need to mount the switch in the dash.Don't know if I will have to take the dashboard out.

Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No need to take the dash apart. You can see the back side of the acc switch plates with the hood removed.

Reactions: Commander
H

HondaTech

I always just run the wires through the switch hole, hook them up and push the switch in.

Easy way to test before you install the switch as well.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are you going to be removing a rocker switch blank (plastic snap in cover that you remove to reveal switch hole), or are you cutting a new switch hole?

No doubt you will want to use the rocker switch to apply power to energize a relay, which in turn will then switch power to the light bar, unless the light bar is relatively small. The rocker switches are supposedly rated for 20 amps, though that's more than a stretch.

C

Commander

Aug 28, 2022
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are you going to be removing a rocker switch blank (plastic snap in cover that you remove to reveal switch hole), or are you cutting a new switch hole?

No doubt you will want to use the rocker switch to apply power to energize a relay, which in turn will then switch power to the light bar, unless the light bar is relatively small. The rocker switches are supposedly rated for 20 amps, though that's more than a stretch.
Removing a blank there are 4 blanks in my machine 22 1k5

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Removing a blank there are 4 blanks in my machine 22 1k5
On my '21 IK5 SE, there's a row of blanks as well. Behind that were 3 pre-wired switch sockets for adding (IIRC) wipers etc. They were not even wired for illumination. I just abandoned them in place and ran my own wiring, including lighting for the switches.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Agree with the above.
If you need more or want a switch at a different location, check to see what's behind the plastic.
For example, I'm right handed and wanted my turn signal switch on the left. I popped the cup holder and found a spot to the side.
Point is, make sure you have switch and wire depth clearance before cutting plastic.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Along with what @StewB said, I think it good to do any "major" panel fixes first . . . liking getting rid of the inane warning "You're All Gonna Die" placards first. This both opens up panel space, allows for behind the panel access for wiring and to make sure projects won't interfere with the mechanicals etc.

20210826 203158

20211217 210936

M

MR_509_P1LE

May 19, 2021
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does anybody know how to install switches in a 22 1K5. Have a light bar I need to mount the switch in the dash.Don't know if I will have to take the dashboard out.
Check out PBR Products switch plates.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check out PBR Products switch plates.
After my experience with PBR, I wouldn't do business with them ever again. They made an incorrect claim, saying their windshield extender for the stock Honda windshield would fit Honda stock flip up windshields . . . it did not fit my '21 1K-5 SE. . They changed their add, after my input, but would not refund my shipping charges. That, and the product was poorly made. I politely explained the situation, they still refused to refund all my money.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!