Talon Talon 1/2 windshield?

MFG

MFG

Mar 14, 2019
East Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Does anyone have the Honda Talon 1/2 windshield installed? I am curious if it works well and if it creates a draft that pulls dust back into the cab. Thanks ahead for your input.

Reactions: Buckwheat

1Ron

Dec 18, 2018
Rockies
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Does anyone have the Honda Talon 1/2 windshield installed? I am curious if it works well and if it creates a draft that pulls dust back into the cab. Thanks ahead for your input.

It shouldn’t be any different than on other brands. I have a half windshield on my XP and the vacuum pulling dust is there with or without the 1/2 windshield. The machine itself is the cause but primarily as you slow to a stop and mostly to the rear storage area. I run a windscreen on the back and that reduces the dust vortex. That said this is a dirty sport!
I haven’t seen the Honda 1/2 windshield yet but it looks like it’s a little narrower than I would like. They help reduce wind in your face at speed but how much depends on your height. My wife is 5’4” and she gets no wind. I’m 5’11” and have to duck a little. I refuse to wear goggles and wind isn’t an issue except at high speeds. One of my friends removed his because he didn’t like looking through it rock crawling where you are picking a line. That doesn’t bother me.

Reactions: ohanacreek
MFG

MFG

Mar 14, 2019
East Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for the quick reply. I am coming from my old rhino where the 1/2 windshield would cover your ass up with dust constantly.

1Ron

Dec 18, 2018
Rockies
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Thanks for the quick reply. I am coming from my old rhino where the 1/2 windshield would cover your ass up with dust constantly.

Might still have some effect if there is enough flour type dust. I rode a trail last fall where dust was 6" deep and the front tires kicked a huge cloud.
I raise my 1/2 W so that there is a small gap (3/4") under it so that may help. The windscreen on the back is a good solution since it defuses the vacuum. But they are hard to find except for OEM Polaris and they have disadvantages. At speed they become a parachute holding you back. Not easy to drop them down when you want to go fast but I have an old one with just 2 straps on top so it's easier than some.

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Not sure on a Talon if you can do it or not but you might try raising it up an inch or so and let a slight bit of air come under it and break up the vacuum.

MFG

MFG

Mar 14, 2019
East Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Not sure on a Talon if you can do it or not but you might try raising it up an inch or so and let a slight bit of air come under it and break up the vacuum.
That sounds like a good idea. I just ordered one. I will report back when I get it.

Reactions: Mopower58
IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Superatv has a half windshield for the Talon $129

O

Old_fart_with_2020_Talon

Apr 16, 2020
USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Just got the Honda accessories half windshield installed a couple days ago, notes:
Installation instructions say to use a template (included with instructions) to mark holes to be drilled in center console. If I had done that I would be drilling a second set of holes and looking for grommets to plug the first set. My way - Put masting tape down on center console (easier to see marks for holes) - Fully install windshield - Ride a bit to verify that windshield will not want to shift - cut an old fashioned lead pencil down to about 1.5" - mark holes using bracket with windshield in place - Remove windshield - Drill - Re-install. I actually do not know if it is worth drilling the holes as windshield seemed fine on test rides without them.

Windshield clamps were too rigid for me to install without tools (per the instructions), wrapped tape around a large blade screwdriver to prevent scratching and used that to make the job easy.

Function. Will be fine with a helmet or goggles and it will keep hands and upper body warmer. At 6'1" air hits me from the neck up and air flow seems greater than with windshield removed, which probably makes sense as there is likely about the same volume of wind flowing through a smaller area. Will serve my purposes as I wear a helmet when it is cold outside. Very easy to take off and put back on, will not use it during warm weather. Took passenger seat off and layed in a large dog pillow for 4 legged co-pilot, he seems to approve greatly.

Value - Overpriced at + - $300 . Probably should have bought something aftermarket for closer to $130 but do not have one of those to compare with so I am not sure.

Reactions: CID and MFG

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!