CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
This is a duplicate thread, PaulF started 'Cab Heat' a year ago that I didn't see. So there's more information here:

I'm a cold wimp so 'some' cab heat is fine by me BUT on an 80* day, it can get pretty damn warm during the day. Even with the windshield open and no rear window, warm/hot air pools in the cab with little or no circulation. I could copy @PaulF 's firewall block-off idea but it's more or less a permanent fix for a part time problem (his details and photos in the cab dust thread). Part time because I ride at 7500 + feet, up to 13k + and it can get a bit nippy up there - add in the clouds and drizzle and suddenly that warmth is welcome.

Yesterday was one of those days presenting both, heat and drizzle - half the time I was driving down the 'road' holding the door open trying to keep my core temperature from turning me hyperthermic. So I need something that's insertable/removeable during the day. Someone posted about a bracket here but I can't find that thread so I started this tread with a findable title.

All that to say, I'm giving these a try, if they're too short, I'll lengthen them. My riding is mostly open, even in the forest, it isn't door scraping tight ... I think. :oops:

Last edited:
TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
The door latches seem like a good idea. Especially for just cruising. Don't know that I'd want to be hammering it wide open with them. We've been throwing a towel over the shifter which helps a lot. I'm thinking of taping over some of the other holes in the floor etc... just to see if that helps. I don't feel like the heat is terrible but when it's 90 plus and the dust is flying it would be nice to mitigate some heat in the cab for sure.

Reactions: CID
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
The door latches seem like a good idea. Especially for just cruising. Don't know that I'd want to be hammering it wide open with them. We've been throwing a towel over the shifter which helps a lot. I'm thinking of taping over some of the other holes in the floor etc... just to see if that helps. I don't feel like the heat is terrible but when it's 90 plus and the dust is flying it would be nice to mitigate some heat in the cab for sure.

I actually did take flex seal tape and covered the holes right behind the seat. Not perfect but it did help. I also take smaller towels that I wet (use them to clean the windows if need be) and pack them in the back seat corners that adds to help the situation!

Reactions: TerryH
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I actually did take flex seal tape and covered the holes right behind the seat. Not perfect but it did help. I also take smaller towels that I wet (use them to clean the windows if need be) and pack them in the back seat corners that adds to help the situation!
I need to check this out. I've covered the openings in front of the rear tires (link below) but when I hit water, either fast enough or deep enough, I get my butt cooked in a good steam bath so there are definitely openings under/behind the seat (never had a passenger so I can't speak to the other side). In order for it to steam, it has to come off the motor, not directly off the tires. 🤔

This needs better sealing without gluing it permanently into place.

There's a whole lot of openness under there -

Last edited:
Reactions: IDIOT and Smitty335
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I sealed the holes from the inside. All I had at the time was white flex tape I figured at some point I would do it better with black tape.

I also wet rags and stick them in those corners. It's what I wipe the boys's windshields and helmets off with. But it keeps dust from coming up through those corners also. Not perfect but it helps a ton.

I do that on both sides of the seats.
I need to check this out. I've covered the openings in front of the rear tires (link below) but when I hit water, either fast enough or deep enough, I get my butt cooked in a good steam bath so there are definitely openings under/behind the seat (never had a passenger so I can't speak to the other side). In order for it to steam, it has to come off the motor, not directly off the tires. 🤔

This needs better sealing without gluing it permanently into place.
View attachment 209695

There's a whole lot of openness under there -
View attachment 209696

Reactions: Tedbell52
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I sealed the holes from the inside. All I had at the time was white flex tape I figured at some point I would do it better with black tape.
View attachment 209716View attachment 209719

I also wet rags and stick them in those corners. It's what I wipe the boys's windshields and helmets off with. But it keeps dust from coming up through those corners also. Not perfect but it helps a ton.
View attachment 209729

Thanks for the pics, 👍 I hadn't looked at it from the inside.

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
I took my top off and I think it helps to keep the hot air from pooling up inside. Added bonus I get a more open feeling like I'm in a open top jeep. In addition I really do not like the roof line.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I took my top off and I think it helps to keep the hot air from pooling up inside. Added bonus I get a more open feeling like I'm in a open top jeep. In addition I really do not like the roof line.
A more open feeling is Interesting observation. @Lil_Steve and I were just discussing riding through forest fire burn areas and how much more open it felt and how much it improved vistas. Instead of feeling like I'm riding in a room with limited sight lines, I feel like I'm riding through the universe. Don't get me wrong, forest fires are a terrible thing but the 'forest' isn't ruined after a fire, it's just different.

In 2002 we had a 138k acre fire here and much of my day ride area was burned.
I m5RWhHj XL

I zR93x2G XL

Reactions: IDIOT and Lil_Steve
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do they make an alien sun shade for the talon yet, I know that whey are pretty nice for letting the heat and sound out of other machines

Reactions: Tedbell52 and CID
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I don’t have a heat problem at all on the four seater, but that motor is quite a ways back there.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
View attachment 209716View attachment 209719

View attachment 209729

I finally got around to looking for the openings under my seat - holy crap!!! :eek:

So, a little aluminum tape (cause that's what I had) -
I nw4Cvm6 L

30 minutes later I had this. I was under the impression that the seat would cover/hide my work but it doesn't. :oops:
I DWkJRGN L

This project caused me to look at what's happening (my steamed butt on 'enthusiastic' water crossings). Although the mud guards stop debris off the rear tire from being thrown into the cab through here -
I MLdt2xc L

they're still wide open on the inside (yellow arrow), in effect stopping nothing from that direction (water/steam splashing sideways off the engine). Maybe someday I'll look into closing that off better, maybe - the tape will have to do for now and seemed to help, at least with some heat, on yesterday's ride (no water).
I dvwCF4W L

Reactions: IDIOT
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I finally got around to looking for the openings under my seat - holy crap!!! :eek:

View attachment 211616

30 minutes later I had this. I was under the impression that the seat would cover/hide my work but it doesn't. :oops:
View attachment 211617

This project caused me to look at what's happening (my steamed butt on 'enthusiastic' water crossings). Although the mud guards stop debris off the rear tire from being thrown into the cab through here -
View attachment 211618

they're still wide open on the inside (yellow arrow), in effect stopping nothing from that direction (water/steam splashing sideways off the engine). Maybe someday I'll look into closing that off better, maybe - the tape will have to do for now and seemed to help, at least with some heat, on yesterday's ride (no water).
View attachment 211619
Wow, that’s crazy. I’d like to know how well that tape holds....👍

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Wow, that’s crazy. I’d like to know how well that tape holds....👍
#metoo

You don't have that problem on the 4 seater, like you said earlier 'the engine is waaaay back there' but the radiator is still in the front which eventually super heats the entire passenger 'bucket'. Even at my altitudes (10,000 + feet all day yesterday), heat is becoming an issue for me. I'll be looking into closing off the tunnel like PaulF did but I hope to make it with a sliding, removable panel so I can have that heat on chilly days. I miss the enthusiasm of youth but not the stupidity. :p

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL

View attachment 211616

View attachment 211617

View attachment 211618

View attachment 211619

I know I thought the same thing the first time I pulled the seat to look for holes coming into the cab! I only had white Flex tape at the time. If you want to hide it black Flex tape would not be noticeable at all. I personally like the Flex tape route as it sticks crazy good and will move/stretch as needed.
I did just order the mudbuster back cover things to as I believe that will help some also and make cleaning up the sxs easier with blocking that mud holding area off!) Do you already have the Mudbusters?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
#metoo

You don't have that problem on the 4 seater, like you said earlier 'the engine is waaaay back there' but the radiator is still in the front which eventually super heats the entire passenger 'bucket'. Even at my altitudes (10,000 + feet all day yesterday), heat is becoming an issue for me. I'll be looking into closing off the tunnel like PaulF did but I hope to make it with a sliding, removable panel so I can have that heat on chilly days. I miss the enthusiasm of youth but not the stupidity. :p
Well, in fairness, I haven’t put it completely to the test yet. My riding is 7500-9500 feet elevation. While I haven’t had any heat issues whatsoever, we’re not at the hottest part of summer yet. And, I haven’t taken it for a ride in Arkansas/Oklahoma yet where I also ride. And there it’s hotter with crazy humidity. I’m hoping that I won’t have to close up the holes that you have though, because I’ve noticed when I’m washing out the machine, those are handy for pushing out mud clods, pebbles, twigs and pine needles and other crap that gets in there when trail riding....

Otherwise, I like your idea as an easy fix for heat penetration in those areas and could end up there myself....

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I know I thought the same thing the first time I pulled the seat to look for holes coming into the cab! I only had white Flex tape at the time. If you want to hide it black Flex tape would not be noticeable at all. I personally like the Flex tape route as it sticks crazy good and will move/stretch as needed.
I did just order the mudbuster back cover things to as I believe that will help some also and make cleaning up the sxs easier with blocking that mud holding area off!) Do you already have the Mudbusters?
Yes, I have the Mudbusters and like them BUT, doing it again I'd look at closing off the inside of both before installing. I can still do that, they're held on with push pins but - excuses excuses excuses ya know. They 'could have done better' IMO, they have the tools and adding an inside flap to both sides would make 'em better.

Regardless of my whining, the Mudbusters are a mandatory add on IMO. Honda's leaving that gaping void directly in front of both rear tires is simply idiocy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hometeam
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Follow up from the original post, the door holder open brackets.
1. They're made out of alum. so lengthening won't be as easy as if they were steel.
2. They got the length pretty good, I don't think they need to be lengthened.
3. Although the door latch captures them, it does it loosely, so there's room to rattle BUT I wear earplugs and didn't hear them all day.
4. Being mechanically sympathetic and a bit OCD, I'm not sure I like the doors hanging from the two rear pivots all day (losing the support of the latch). I won't run them on my rocky rides for this reason.
5. I like them for my smooth trails, not so much for the rocks.
6. It's important to note that the radiator is still up front and there's still that to deal with - blocking off the tunnel canyon is in my future.

An accidental video screen shot capture in action -
I dhfq6W4 XL

They were awesome here today at 85*
I XZqvfwx XL

I won't use them here, most likely.
I nTN8w6P XL

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
This is what the gadgets look like -
I JRGzZqN L

this is what they do, driver's side -
I vJsS4n8 L

passenger side.
I bZrPS48 L

Reactions: 906UP and TripleB
IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Fartsalot, I took the roof off after reading your post and WOW what a difference. Much cooler and less dust inside, just got to remember to wear a hat to keep the sun off your head, Great idea Fartsalot, thanks.
IMG 5988
IMG 5995
IMG 6006

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for trying that, IDIOT. I wear a helmet (less noise, drier and warmer when needed) and our afternoon showers are lessening (I also have a raincoat onboard) so I think I'll give that a try myself. I about got cooked Friday to the point I had to cut my ride short. I'm a desert rat at heart but have to make a few concessions to my 'seniority'. #oleguy

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!