BOX1

Talon R 2022+ Questions

R

rudyeng

Oct 27, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey guys I'm thinking of adding a Talon R (Early 2023) but not 100% sure. Currently running a pioneer and defender. Both awesome buggies.

I'm an older guy Mid 60's and my back is always a problem. I'm looking for a better suspension that actually really works. I love the room of my other buggies but the "Advertised/ Published" suspension is BS. I did add a bracket lift but I need that ground clearance. I also need a high seat setup i.e. 36" min to ground. I need to clear the water crossings in the Everglades. I'm currently running at 38" to the seat and stay dry.

This is what in thinking on the Talon R. The seat level starts at 28".
Install a 2" seat lift,
Install A-arms with built in lift say 3"
Install larger tires gain 2" not sure??
That should put me at around 35" to the seat

Also considering KRX but I love the Honda reliability.

Thank you

Rudy

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Hey guys I'm thinking of adding a Talon R (Early 2023) but not 100% sure. Currently running a pioneer and defender. Both awesome buggies.

I'm an older guy Mid 60's and my back is always a problem. I'm looking for a better suspension that actually really works. I love the room of my other buggies but the "Advertised/ Published" suspension is BS. I did add a bracket lift but I need that ground clearance. I also need a high seat setup i.e. 36" min to ground. I need to clear the water crossings in the Everglades. I'm currently running at 38" to the seat and stay dry.

Install a 2" seat lift,

Thank you

Rudy
While I think it's badass, Talon R won't give you the utility of your P1K, and kill your turning radius

Have you thought of upgrading the shocks and maybe a set of portals. You could get rid of the bracket lift which is adding to your suspension problems and would be a lot less strain on the machine from the added gear reduction. Also, just with the 4" portals you could run some bigger tires as well

R

rudyeng

Oct 27, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks Jen !

Yeah that bracket lift killed the suspension. Remington warned me but I ignored it. He was dead on.

I'm keeping the other 2 buggy's and adding a Talon R or KRX. I may also upgrade the shocks on the P1000 as well. I'm looking at the Fox, 814 & Elka. Nothing you can do on a utility SXS that can match a stock Talon or KRX, X-3 etc. You simply do not have the geometry to make it happen.

Not sure if the published suspension data is accurate on all of the sport models but I'm sure it's a significant improvement over the utility sxs.

Thanks

Rudy

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thanks Jen !

Yeah that bracket lift killed the suspension. Remington warned me but I ignored it. He was dead on.

I'm keeping the other 2 buggy's and adding a Talon R or KRX. I may also upgrade the shocks on the P1000 as well. I'm looking at the Fox, 814 & Elka. Nothing you can do on a utility SXS that can match a stock Talon or KRX, X-3 etc. You simply do not have the geometry to make it happen.

Not sure if the published suspension data is accurate on all of the sport models but I'm sure it's a significant improvement over the utility sxs.

Thanks

Rudy
Not that it's my money obviously, but if it was.......I'd be between a Talon or an R-MAX2 if it had to be a belt machine. @Backwoods has a nice set up. But, if you're adding to the stable........my vote's for the screaming chicken 😉

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks Jen !

Thanks

Rudy
I can say from experience depending on wheel offset and tire size you could rub the fox shocks on the front with the bracket lift. I just got the fox shocks for my setup. I installed 250lb springs on front and 300lb springs on rear and then mounted the shocks. I do not have experience with oe coil fox ride quality. I can say the ride was very much improved. I will have c fab arms next month to replace my bracket lift and I am hopeful it will further improve my ride quality.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not that it's my money obviously, but if it was.......I'd be between a Talon or an R-MAX2 if it had to be a belt machine. @Backwoods has a nice set up. But, if you're adding to the stable........my vote's for the screaming chicken 😉
I have to agree here. If the R-Max had existed when I purchased my pioneer there is a good chance I would have had the R-Max.

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Nomo for Backwoods?

Smittyp

Smittyp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 3, 2020
Morgan co. Tennessee
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R LV

Install a 2" seat lift,

Thank you

Rudy
I’ve got a 21 talon r LV with bandit tinder springs and 34-9.50-15 tsl super swamper. the seat is 32”

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The problem with super tall tires on the Talon (or P1K) is their gearing. Our engines idle at ~1500 rpm and the clutches engage at 1800 - there simply isn’t any torque down there. This is what causes the DCT bog, pull up to an obstacle and can’t power over it, the engine can’t turn/spin the tires. It also happens in heavy mud, the engine revs against the clutches but won’t move and you cook said clutch. :( You have the advantage of super low elevations (more HP) while I ride up to 13k + feet so you ‘might’ get away with it.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Install a 2" seat lift,

Thank you

Rudy

Given your description, have you considerd a +6" lift for the Pioneer 1000 like from @SuperATV ? That and combination of Portals would definitely get your bottom out of the water. Then run Fox QS3 shocks off the LE model P1K.

And or

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
If you go with the R-max though you'll end up wearing Crocs, have to buy all new clothes, and change your life stile significantly. Not that's there's anything wrong with that iykwim.

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
For the X model...I'd recommend forward A-arms and 4" or 6" portals, and ditch the small lift if you're ride is suffering to the extent of it not being comfortable. It starts to add up....but that'll work.

The KRX will run with 35"s with only forward A-arms....and the suspension is FAR better than the Talon.

PS: Sorry guys....don't shoot me for that. 🤣 Its true though.

Last edited:
Bobrhino

Bobrhino

Sep 19, 2018
Arizona & Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
For the X model...I'd recommend forward A-arms and 4" or 6" portals, and ditch the small lift if you're ride is suffering to the extent of it not being comfortable. It starts to add up....but that'll work.

The KRX will run with 35"s with only forward A-arms....and the suspension is FAR better than the Talon.

PS: Sorry guys....don't shoot me for that. 🤣 Its true though.
I concur. After ownership of two P1000-5 and one P1000-3 (still have this one) I have found the DCT bog can be problematic. Yes, the KRX suspension is far better than the Talon. Stock form comparisons, unfortunately, the KRX offers so much more. Come on Honda!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!