H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I was too busy riding or I would have checked the valves at 20,000 miles. My engine still runs great, and the valves were not noisy. Intake Spec is .006” + or minus .001” and exhaust is .009” + or minus .001”. All the intake valves were perfect at .006”. The exhaust valves needed adjusting. One was ok at .009”, two were in spec at .008” and one was out of spec and .007”. Fortunately, it's easy to adjust the exhaust valves.

The spark plugs were still like new. I had new plugs, so I installed them. The spark plug caps are difficult to remove if you don't have gorilla strength. The spark plug socket in the tool kit makes removing the spark plugs easy. There was a lot of disassembly to make it easy to do the adjustment. I clean everything up before reassembly and did a good wash job before I took it apart. I put a large plastic gas can on the passenger seat area to lay on so I wouldn’t strain my back. I used a small mattress in the bed to lay on. I have been careful to avoid straining my back for the last ten years.

It's great to still be able to do all my Honda maintenance and repair, truck maintenance, and yard work. Being active is so important especially as we get older. Walking, trail work, and bicycle riding nearly every day keeps me in good shape. Still got to lose 20 pounds.

I’m going to keep one of my Talons and hopefully buy a base 4 seat Talon R early next year. If Honda doesn’t offer the Talon R 4 seat with the Showa shocks, I will buy the live valve model.

SparkPlugs17482Miles

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was too busy riding or I would have checked the valves at 20,000 miles. My engine still runs great, and the valves were not noisy. Intake Spec is .006” + or minus .001” and exhaust is .009” + or minus .001”. All the intake valves were perfect at .006”. The exhaust valves needed adjusting. One was ok at .009”, two were in spec at .008” and one was out of spec and .007”. Fortunately, it's easy to adjust the exhaust valves.

The spark plugs were still like new. I had new plugs, so I installed them. The spark plug caps are difficult to remove if you don't have gorilla strength. The spark plug socket in the tool kit makes removing the spark plugs easy. There was a lot of disassembly to make it easy to do the adjustment. I clean everything up before reassembly and did a good wash job before I took it apart. I put a large plastic gas can on the passenger seat area to lay on so I wouldn’t strain my back. I used a small mattress in the bed to lay on. I have been careful to avoid straining my back for the last ten years.

It's great to still be able to do all my Honda maintenance and repair, truck maintenance, and yard work. Being active is so important especially as we get older. Walking, trail work, and bicycle riding nearly every day keeps me in good shape. Still got to lose 20 pounds.

I’m going to keep one of my Talons and hopefully buy a base 4 seat Talon R early next year. If Honda doesn’t offer the Talon R 4 seat with the Showa shocks, I will buy the live valve model.

View attachment 402132
Glad to hear you’re still enjoying all the aspects of your Honda. Keep on keeping on and I hope you’re still enjoying the ride for many years ahead sir! 💪🏻

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks hondabob !

I think that's a great testament to the traditional Honda design, engineering, materials and reliability.

And, to your doing the basic care and maintenance, even though I understand it is not easy, sometimes, that goes a long way to having a machine that has great longevity.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Since I have two Talons, I can take my time doing repair and maintenance work and not miss any rides. Resting on a support reduces the chance of a back injury. My Kawasaki Teryx required laying on a support to adjust the valves without straining my back, so I have been careful for ten years. A benefit of doing your own maintenance is we can take the extra time do a good cleanup.

ValveAdjSupport
ValveAdjSupport1

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Those plugs do look good for that many miles. Thanks for sharing.
I just ordered a of plugs for my trail toolbox. I hope I never need them.
Needed them for the Pioneer at around 3k miles, but that's running an aftermarket tune as well. I keep two in the Talon all the time now.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Needed them for the Pioneer at around 3k miles, but that's running an aftermarket tune as well. I keep two in the Talon all the time now.
I've read that both the Talons and P1Ks hate short runs where the engines don't get up to operating temperatures, resulting in fouled plugs.

TOGR

TOGR

Apr 5, 2022
NW Montana
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
Good report/info. Keep up the great work--and exercise!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!