Talon windshield for custom cage

Jon M

Jon M

Aug 29, 2021
Phoenix AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Hey @SuperATV... maybe you guys can help me with this...

I am putting a custom roll cage on my Talon 1000X-4. My current windshield will not fit on the new cage because the new cage is much wider at the top. I do not want to order a glass custom windshield. I currently have and really like the "flip down" style of windshield (like this: https://www.superatv.com/honda-pioneer-1000-scratch-resistant-flip-down-windshield ) because of the high visibility when compared to custom glass windshields.

The dimensions of the windshield opening on the new cage are:
45.5" wide at the bottom (measured at the center of the hood from the centers of the A pillar tubes)
48.5" wide at the top of the cage (measured from the centers of the A pillar tubes)
Between 19.5" and 23" tall (measured as shown in the attached picture).

I have searched the SuperATV website for dimensions on some of your rectangular (Honda Pioneer and Polaris Ranger) windshields but cannot find any dimensions. Can you guys help me find a windshield in the "flip down" style that will closely fit the dimensions of the new roll cage?

I understand that the bottom of your recommended windshield will not line up with the talon hood. This is ok with me.
I also understand that the sides of your recommended windshield may not line up with the A pillars either. That is ok with me.
In full disclosure, I plan on trimming the the windshield so that it fits the new roll cage. I understand and accept that this will probably void any warranty on the windshield.

I am not looking for a perfect or direct fit. I am simply looking for a flip-down windshield that is "close enough" to what I need so that I can modify it to fit correctly. Can you help me find a windshield that is nearest the dimensions listed above?

New Cage Windshield Dimensions

Last edited:
toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Are you hoping for scratch resistant? Or just standard polycarbonate?

I have a similar problem right now. I rigged up a small wind deflector last year with some zip ties and leftover plastic. I liked it so much I left it on all summer and fall. I just bent and trimmed the bottom portion and am waiting on the gasket. I really want to to a “flip-up” like superatv has, but might end up doing a flop down. I should update my build thread soon.

Or googles would be easier. :cool:

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
you may go measure a Yamaha early YXZ flip up windshield that goes up & onto roof. Probably couldn't use the black base piece, but betting you could get creative and make it work. I had one on my 1000R before I went to glass (only issue I had was the dust with a Poly windshield). Don't have any pictures.

Gaps on the sides up towards the top (if not wide enough) really should not effect function much

Reactions: SuperATV
Jon M

Jon M

Aug 29, 2021
Phoenix AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Are you hoping for scratch resistant? Or just standard polycarbonate?

I have a similar problem right now. I rigged up a small wind deflector last year with some zip ties and leftover plastic. I liked it so much I left it on all summer and fall. I just bent and trimmed the bottom portion and am waiting on the gasket. I really want to to a “flip-up” like superatv has, but might end up doing a flop down. I should update my build thread soon.

Or googles would be easier. :cool:
I prefer scratch resistant but there are very few trees or bushes where I ride. I would happily settle for either. I could probably make my current windshield work, but there would be some large gaps on the sides and I would be unhappy with it overall.

Reactions: toddvdh
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ok well folding windshield would be a a little tougher then glass but from most of what I’ve seen from @SuperATV windshields the overlapping sections seem to be the same. I’m wondering if you couldn’t use a Talon lower and a Pioneer upper that’s cut down just a bit?

Jon M

Jon M

Aug 29, 2021
Phoenix AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Ok well folding windshield would be a a little tougher then glass but from most of what I’ve seen from @SuperATV windshields the overlapping sections seem to be the same. I’m wondering if you couldn’t use a Talon lower and a Pioneer upper that’s cut down just a bit?
Thats an idea worth trying. If only I had dimensions for a Pioneer windshield so that I could confirm that it is wide enough to work... @SuperATV

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
Hey!
From those dimensions...they aren't far enough away from the standard Talon to make anything closer. The basic Talon windshield would still be pretty close...but a little off. The problem is...we don't make the "fold down" style for the talon.

The tricky part....looks to be the addition of the intrusion bar. It looks like it is slightly angled forward and may go out past the pillars....which would definitely contact the lower piece of any windshield you add.

None of the flip-up are going to work with that intrusion bar.

Out of all the "fold down" options we make, but Pioneer 700 would be the closest, but....its not really that close. Its big enough to cut down though. If you want a big one to do all by yourself....just go for the Ranger 900 fold down or the Kawie Mule fold down. They are easily the biggest, and would have the most to work with.

Jon M

Jon M

Aug 29, 2021
Phoenix AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Hey!
From those dimensions...they aren't far enough away from the standard Talon to make anything closer. The basic Talon windshield would still be pretty close...but a little off. The problem is...we don't make the "fold down" style for the talon.

The tricky part....looks to be the addition of the intrusion bar. It looks like it is slightly angled forward and may go out past the pillars....which would definitely contact the lower piece of any windshield you add.

None of the flip-up are going to work with that intrusion bar.

Out of all the "fold down" options we make, but Pioneer 700 would be the closest, but....its not really that close. Its big enough to cut down though. If you want a big one to do all by yourself....just go for the Ranger 900 fold down or the Kawie Mule fold down. They are easily the biggest, and would have the most to work with.
Thanks for the reply @SuperATV!

I think I will probably go with the Ranger 900 fold-down windshield. It looks to be tall enough so that i can trim the bottom portion to fit the Talon hood and still be tall enough to cover most of the windshield. What is the width and height of the whole Ranger 900 windshield?

I will probably order one in a few weeks when my new cage is installed.

Will post pictures of installed windshield if all goes well.

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
Thanks for the reply @SuperATV!

I think I will probably go with the Ranger 900 fold-down windshield. It looks to be tall enough so that i can trim the bottom portion to fit the Talon hood and still be tall enough to cover most of the windshield. What is the width and height of the whole Ranger 900 windshield?

I will probably order one in a few weeks when my new cage is installed.

Will post pictures of installed windshield if all goes well.
Its a big one. Lower piece is about a foot high in the center and 50.5" across. The upper piece is about 17.75" high and 50.25" across.

Reactions: Smitty335
Jon M

Jon M

Aug 29, 2021
Phoenix AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Its a big one. Lower piece is about a foot high in the center and 50.5" across. The upper piece is about 17.75" high and 50.25" across.
@SuperATV
Thank you sir! I will be ordering one as soon as my cage is complete. Will post pictures of the trimming and installed windshield.

Reactions: SuperATV

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!