P1000m5 Temporary(?) panic!

S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tonight I was dragging my driveway after a week worth of rain. I have a half a mile long gravel driveway and I was working my 2016 1000–5 pretty hard. Because of the job I checked the coolant and the oil before hand and both were fine. I even topped off the coolant just to be on the safe side.I was driving in low four-wheel-drive using the manual transmission. There was a lot of mud and quite a few water puddles. On my third pass while I was turning around on the road it would rev but not go. It acted as if it was a neutral. After about 30 seconds the oil light came on but the engine did not seem to run badly. The temperature gauge never went above two bars. I Shut it off for about three minutes after panicking. I decided to start it back up and give it a try. I put it in two wheel-high auto and it seemed to drive just fine and no lights came on. I drove it for about two minutes to get home and shut it down. Just a little history I have recently put the dual battery on with a few accessories, and also put an aftermarket heater in where I spliced the radiator hoses. I think I did everything by the book and have been very conscious of my coolant levels and have looked for possible leaks after bleeding the system. Anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BWAF
S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Stupid question, but did you check the transmission oil before and after or just the engine oil?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tonight I was dragging my driveway after a week worth of rain. I have a half a mile long gravel driveway and I was working my 2016 1000–5 pretty hard. Because of the job I checked the coolant and the oil before hand and both were fine. I even topped off the coolant just to be on the safe side.I was driving in low four-wheel-drive using the manual transmission. There was a lot of mud and quite a few water puddles. On my third pass while I was turning around on the road it would rev but not go. It acted as if it was a neutral. After about 30 seconds the oil light came on but the engine did not seem to run badly. The temperature gauge never went above two bars. I Shut it off for about three minutes after panicking. I decided to start it back up and give it a try. I put it in two wheel-high auto and it seemed to drive just fine and no lights came on. I drove it for about two minutes to get home and shut it down. Just a little history I have recently put the dual battery on with a few accessories, and also put an aftermarket heater in where I spliced the radiator hoses. I think I did everything by the book and have been very conscious of my coolant levels and have looked for possible leaks after bleeding the system. Anyone have any ideas?

Images

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
?

Just me being a dick.
Does your machine have the updated clutch cover installed? If so, how long ago was it installed?
There is a common problem where machines run around 30 minutes and the oil light comes on. This is due to the installer either not installing a very specific o-ring, or damaging it during assembly.

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just me being a dick.
Does your machine have the updated clutch cover installed? If so, how long ago was it installed?
There is a common problem where machines run around 30 minutes and the oil light comes on. This is due to the installer either not installing a very specific o-ring, or damaging it during assembly.

Yep. Update is done. I think I was in to the dealership every other week this summer due to some type of recall. All oil levels and fluid levels are fine. I put about 800 miles on it this summer without any issues. It seems fine now and I’m planning on taking it for a little spin later. Hopefully the tranny just got warm or something. Seems like it might’ve automatically downshifted the first on my turnaround and wouldn’t engage. I also put a trickle charger on the battery. I had my LEDs on and my radio pumping. Maybe the battery was a bit low or a connection got wet. I’m no expert though but it seems fine now. Thanks for

advertisement
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gotcha, little confusing but I think I got it now. Engine and DCT share same oil. Subtrans is separate. Clutches are not in the subtran but in the DCT.
Correct.
Subtrans has a drain interval of 24 months I think. But it is so easy to do during reg oil change, that most tend to service together.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Yep. Update is done. I think I was in to the dealership every other week this summer due to some type of recall. All oil levels and fluid levels are fine. I put about 800 miles on it this summer without any issues. It seems fine now and I’m planning on taking it for a little spin later. Hopefully the tranny just got warm or something. Seems like it might’ve automatically downshifted the first on my turnaround and wouldn’t engage. I also put a trickle charger on the battery. I had my LEDs on and my radio pumping. Maybe the battery was a bit low or a connection got wet. I’m no expert though but it seems fine now. Thanks for

Could’ve been a hiccup. Do you have volt gauge? What were volts if you do?

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I actually have two of them. One that quit working in the machine and a replacement one in a little white box in my garage! I’ll probably put the replacement in today. I’m hoping it was just a hiccup. I bought it new as a carryover in April and haven’t had to touch it except for a couple of oil changes. Had been babying the heck out of it after I spliced the radiator hoses for my heater. Checking the oil and coolant to three times a day.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Was just thinking the same thing!
All of your accessories should be installed on your secondary battery. Only thing that should be on original is what the Honda left the factory with.
If your main battery voltage dipped below the happy point ( I don't know the volts off top of my head) it sends the transmission into a frenzy.

S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Correct.
Subtrans has a drain interval of 24 months I think. But it is so easy to do during reg oil change, that most tend to service together.

Do some people have luck quieting down the rear end by Changing out the sub tranny oil? I thought I heard that somewhere.

S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Was just thinking the same thing!
All of your accessories should be installed on your secondary battery. Only thing that should be on original is what the Honda left the factory with.
If your main battery voltage dipped below the happy point ( I don't know the volts off top of my head) it sends the transmission into a frenzy.

That’s the way I’ve got it.

Reactions: sharp
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That’s the way I’ve got it.

Would’ve been nice to know voltage. Low batt will do that. Was just curious because you say you added a bunch of accessories prior.
Don’t know about changing the sub trans out but moving up to 85-140 in front and rear diffs do

S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ll get my voltmeter in And check all my connections.. I just took it for a 20 minute spin. It ran perfectly in all transmission and drive options. It seems just fine. It’s good to get the heart racing once in while. Makes you appreciate the machine and what you have left in your checking account! Thanks for all the advice guys.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!