Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
We ride farms, woods and sometimes some rough stuff. Overall no way to "avoid" everything, in our area its a SxS not a Corvette. When we hunt I often take it where we don't have trails so I decided to go with a full skid. It is silly expensive but really the best and only way to get 100% protection. Stick stopper save CV boots but won't help the floor. You could get some ⅛ steel plate and makes some small skids for your floor as a hold over. It would offer a pretty good safety layer.
Good luck and ride safe

Reactions: Jshell3
J

Jshell3

Yeah. I'm thinking a qtr sheet of diamond plate would more than cover it.
I'm going to contribute. It's time I start earning my keep! Ha.

Reactions: rocmar and trigger
J

Jshell3

Tack weld expanded metal over the holes
I would, and it's pretty much all it would take to keep sticks from lodging against the cross support bar on the underside... But it would cover some fasteners that I might need to get to one day.
I looked it over pretty good this afternoon. Im going to try and bend and bolt some metal plates.

Reactions: rocmar
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Depends on where you ride. Same trails all the time, sure clean them up I suppose. I cover a hundred miles a weekend on abandoned forest logging roads which are now merely overgrown trails, littered with rocks and fallen branches. Cleaning is not an option. Another member KNOCKED his oil drain plug off and dropped all his oil until his P5 quit, due to those cheap thin plastic OEM covers I won't even call skids. SSS skids, the only real option, IMO.
So, you said they were in the cart...have you ordered them yet monte?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
So, you said they were in the cart...have you ordered them yet monte?
Lol, you caught that didn't you. No, they're setting in the cart. I'm still shopping right. ;)

Reactions: trigger
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
SO... that being said... I've seen the $$$ under armor skid plate systems some of you guys are running on your builds (looking at you Jackal)... VERY Nice but more than I can spend, right now.

The cost of the full skid plate is nothing compared to the cost of an avoidable injury by having sticks potentially jamming through the floor. I know of a 9yr old girl who lost her leg from the knee down because of that exact occurrence as a passenger in a RZR 900. Every brand and model is woefully unprotected.
Spend the $$ it is cheaper insurance, more important than a roof, windshield, or winch.

Reactions: Jshell3 and rocmar
Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I also have a Mule Pro FX and just received a "recall" due to sticks poking through the floor. They are recalling it and adding some kind of protection to help prevent it from happening. Have not had a problem but glad they are taking care of it. Wonder if the other companies are going to follow in Kawasaki's footsteps.

Akfishbum

Akfishbum

Jul 9, 2015
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
I was considering bending some heavy duty steel mesh instead of plate for a couple reasons. One save a little weight, two it would be easier to rinse the mud out. I'm thinking half to quarter inch hole would work to keep the larger sticks out, my biggest concern is small branches and crap hanging up on it and dragging.

Thoughts??

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I think you may get a lot of crap stuck in it. If u you use plate and leave the ends open a little I think you will be able to rinse it out easily if needed. Aluminum would be ideal, light, easy to bend/machine and won't rust.

advertisement
J

Jshell3

I think you may get a lot of crap stuck in it. If u you use plate and leave the ends open a little I think you will be able to rinse it out easily if needed. Aluminum would be ideal, light, easy to bend/machine and won't rust.
Yeah. I hear expanded metal as a suggestion, but a solid piece of steel or aluminum would fit the bill better, provided mud and water can exit in a hurry!

Akfishbum

Akfishbum

Jul 9, 2015
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah my thoughts run along the same lines but I have a couple sheets of the grate left from a BBQ I built. So I might try it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!