P700 Thoughts on this 700

W

WillieLane

Sep 26, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have been on the lookout for a used machine to keep my budget low. This will be my first UTV and I don't really know what I am looking for when evaluating a used machine. I posted earlier on a p1000 and everyone steered me away based on pictures. I haven't reallly found any p1000 in my budget, so I have switched over to the p700.

I would love any thoughts on 2014 700. Here is the facebook listing:

Cyberjunk

Cyberjunk

Berserker
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2017
Crane Hill Alabama
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-4
I have been on the lookout for a used machine to keep my budget low. This will be my first UTV and I don't really know what I am looking for when evaluating a used machine. I posted earlier on a p1000 and everyone steered me away based on pictures. I haven't reallly found any p1000 in my budget, so I have switched over to the p700.

I would love any thoughts on 2014 700. Here is the facebook listing:

Miles , hours , power steering , other accessories look in the air box for indication of water , drive it and see how it feels . Does look like a good deal .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

L2R

L2R

Understanding women Vol. 1
Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
Good advise on above post.
I would ask for some specific pictures showing miles and hours. Not only will you get that info, you will know the ad is legitif they can provide them.

maintenance records or at least an owner who seems to have taken care of it makes it even better.
I agree that if hours/miles are reasonable, it is worth going to take a look.

And by the way, I am 100% happy with my 700. No regrets!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
2455 miles.
Seems like a good price if it's in decent shape. Tires don't say mud machine to me, so good chance it's led a good life.
Search the guys name on FB pioneer pages. Could get some insight to how it's been treated.

W

WillieLane

Sep 26, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Got a message back that it has 2460 miles and no power steering kit. They said it doesn't show hours. I will ask for a picture of the miles. What other pictures should I ask for to better show the condition? Any really common issues with the 2014 model?

Reactions: DG Rider
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got a message back that it has 2460 miles and no power steering kit. They said it doesn't show hours. I will ask for a picture of the miles. What other pictures should I ask for to better show the condition? Any really common issues with the 2014 model?
Hours are there (at least on the 500) but you have to push the button to scroll the display options to see them.

W

WillieLane

Sep 26, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Good advise on above post.
I would ask for some specific pictures showing miles and hours. Not only will you get that info, you will know the ad is legitif they can provide them.

maintenance records or at least an owner who seems to have taken care of it makes it even better.
I agree that if hours/miles are reasonable, it is worth going to take a look.

And by the way, I am 100% happy with my 700. No regrets!

It looks like the ad is from the wife's facebook and I didn't see account for the husband. Either way, neither seem to post on the pioneer page

L2R

L2R

Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
If you are going to immediately go digging in the ruts, then I would factor in the $$ for a power steering unit and consider that a part of the purchase price.
Instructions are here and sounds like a Saturday afternoon job if you have some tools.

If you are riding along open trails, or working your land, power steering isn't necessary at all.

I don't have it and haven't needed it. My 12 year old grand daughter drives it around the yard and neighborhood with no problems.
So I wouldn't let that stop me from buying a good deal on a machine with low hours and in good shape. good luck

Reactions: WillieLane
W

WillieLane

Sep 26, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If you are going to immediately go digging in the ruts, then I would factor in the $$ for a power steering unit and consider that a part of the purchase price.
Instructions are here and sounds like a Saturday afternoon job if you have some tools.

If you are riding along open trails, or working your land, power steering isn't necessary at all.

I don't have it and haven't needed it. My 12 year old grand daughter drives it around the yard and neighborhood with no problems.
So I wouldn't let that stop me from buying a good deal on a machine with low hours and in good shape. good luck

That's good to know that I can add power steering if I feel like I need it. This plan is to use it for work, so power steering may not all that important.

L2R

L2R

Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
you need p.s. on flat land like you would need it on a riding lawn mower.
If you are hitting rocks or ruts with one wheel, that will snatch the wheel out of your hand or bust a thumb. It might cause it to roll over on its side if you are moving fast. In that case, p.s. becomes more of a safety issue.

Advice given is often dependant on the person's use of the machine and that varies widely with these.

Typically, the deluxe (with p.s.) cost about 2k more if buying a new unit.
An add on p.s. unit is about $600 if you are willing to take an afternoon to install it yourself.
happy hunting

Reactions: WillieLane
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
you need p.s. on flat land like you would need it on a riding lawn mower.
If you are hitting rocks or ruts with one wheel, that will snatch the wheel out of your hand or bust a thumb. It might cause it to roll over on its side if you are moving fast. In that case, p.s. becomes more of a safety issue.

Advice given is often dependant on the person's use of the machine and that varies widely with these.

Typically, the deluxe (with p.s.) cost about 2k more if buying a new unit.
An add on p.s. unit is about $600 if you are willing to take an afternoon to install it yourself.
happy hunting
And well worth the time & money!

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
It looks pretty good in the picture. Camo also.

L2R

L2R

Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
Smitty,
Not knocking p.s. I agree that p.w. is nice thing to have at the least and a necessity for some.
I may well install one myself before th RRB next Spring.

But being the OP is stating he is on a budget and using it for utility work, I just would not discount the Pioneer he is looking at because it's a base unit. I don't miss it because I never had it. Just my experience with a base unit as well.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
There is a pic of the miles in the link you posted.

H

HondaTech

The only fault I could see without looking super close was the separated front seat. Pretty common for 2014 models.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bottomgun
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
The other things with a 2014:

Some early models had a baffle in the muffler that might break and cause severe power loss/stalling/drivability issues.

There was also a skidplate recall for fire hazard. The revised skid had large openings (where the exhaust drops down toward it) to prevent debris buildup and a potential fire.
The skid should have been dealt with long ago, and the muffler was very hit or miss.

W

WillieLane

Sep 26, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to look at it tomorrow and might be coming home with a new toy.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had a 700 before my new 1000 and it was a great machine. One thing I would pay attention to is if the air filter was regularly serviced. I usually changed mine out every 150-200 miles on the desert roads we live on. That is the only faulty I can really see with the 700 vs the 1000, is that the air is sucked up behind the seat.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!