THOUGHTS?

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
I wonder if the rubber seal on the outer plenum was not installed. Did you notice the dust on the raised portion of the lower?

Reactions: Isaiah
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Damn, that sucks. :oops: The guy did everything right by letting the dealer do all the work including maintenance and upgrades. That left the 'blame' on the dealer or Honda and I'm sure that fact is a big part of why he got an entirely new engine from Honda.

I really hope someone lets us know the 'root cause' - was there a missing gasket/seal from Honda or did someone screw up the intake system at the dealership like when they installed the particle separator? I do all my own work (provided it isn't too technical) and don't want to make a mistake like this!! - especially since I just copied hondabob's snorkel assembly. (note that any mistakes I may have made in that project would be on me and not Bob)

People that ride in dusty conditions, which is a big part of Talon's lifestyle, should be aware of this failure and keep an eye on the clean side of the air intake plenum and the two tubes to the throttle bodies, watching for dust intrusion. @Lil_Steve is yours clean?

Last edited:
Reactions: IDIOT and TripleB
Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
People that ride in dusty conditions, which is a big part of Talon's lifestyle, should be aware of this failure and keep an eye on the clean side of the air intake plenum and the two tubes to the throttle bodies, watching for dust intrusion. @Lil_Steve is yours clean?

I replaced the stock air filter at my last oil change, 400+ miles ago. Intake was clean at that time, I'll certainly take a look later today and report back.

Reactions: CID
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you haven’t already, I would recommend a used oil analysis.

I’ve got $5 that says your report will show high SI numbers and high AL / FE numbers.

Looking at that intake reminds me of all the dusted turbos I used to see when everyone ran a K+N filter but forgot to periodically re-oil the filter.

Reactions: TripleB
Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm happy to report the throttle body intake tubes are clean. I did find the slightest bit of dust in there, but now that this has come to light I will inspect it periodically.

Most all of my riding is in a dry, dusty environment.

IMG 20200302 172551714 L

So far so good.

IMG 20200302 172658712 L

Close up of the top intake tube

IMG 20200302 172730165 L

Just a bit of residue inside of the lower tube

IMG 20200302 172734326 L

I have no way of knowing if that was like that before my filter change or not. I lurked on this site for a few months before buying my Talon so I was aware of the stock air filter getting dirty very quickly thanks to guys like @IDIOT and @hondabob who changed the intake location with different versions to cleaner air than the stock location. I used the same method as IDIOT to have a pre-filter in cleaner air to supply the airbox. I bought the SYA Warrior Snorkel kit and just put a K&N universal cone filter in place of the SYA's long snorkel. I also put a Filterwears pre-filter screen over the K&N.

IMG 20200302 173058024 L

This is how my stock Honda air filter looks after the last 400+ miles with the above set up.

IMG 20200302 173430969 L

This is what the dirty side of the airbox looks like.

IMG 20200302 173436524 L

I bought my Talon with just over 200 miles on it so the original air filter wasn't pre-filtered the entire time. When I first checked it, it was kind of dirty and I cleaned it a bit then re-installed it right before adding the higher intake with the K&N filter. I had a new filter on hand but wanted to see how the K&N set up worked.
This is about how it looked when I first got my Talon and that's a current picture of it with about 1000 total miles. It didn't get noticeably dirtier but I changed it along with the oils at about 1000 miles.

IMG 20200302 174039351 L

Running any kind of snorkel kit to get the intake in cleaner air than the stock location of the wheel well will result in much longer service life of the air filter. The channel that the air filter sits in has a rubber foam gasket, and the airbox lid also has the same type of gasket for a positive seal. A new Honda air filter comes with both of those foam gaskets. So unless both of those gaskets were removed from the airbox, I don't know how that much dirt/dust could get past the filter like was shown in the video. Maybe the particle separator was improperly installed, maybe the airbox lid wasn't secured, I don't know. From what I can see it's very difficult to have that much dust getting past a properly installed filter and lid.

Last edited:
jamesh

jamesh

Lifetime Member
Apr 11, 2019
DFW
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X4
That person followed up on Facebook to relay that the dealer found that the connection to the intake by the engine was incorrectly installed by the factory and the Honda is covering the repair.

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
If you haven’t already, I would recommend a used oil analysis.

I’ve got $5 that says your report will show high SI numbers and high AL / FE numbers.

Looking at that intake reminds me of all the dusted turbos I used to see when everyone ran a K+N filter but forgot to periodically re-oil the filter.
What does a used oil analysis tell you? is this something you would do only when there is a failure.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What does a used oil analysis tell you? is this something you would do only when there is a failure.

It can tell you a lot.

For example if the sample shows high amounts of coolant and high metals but low SI (silicon) this would mean the coolant in oil is the problem and not dust.

If it were to show only high metals but normal levels of Fuel, coolant and SI, the failure was internal ( bad bearing etc), or due to lack of maintenance. In the case of lack of maintenance a look at the lack of TBN (total base number) would be a strong indicator.

Normally a oil analysis is done as an indicator of extending the oil change interval on expensive oils or a way to monitor an engine or gear box.

I

Reactions: Iowamike and wrhii
O

OdysseyOffroad

May 10, 2020
sahuarita, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
honda covered it but could not get a new engine till august. the guy did not want to wait and traded it in on a krx1000 he has a updated video talking about it.

Reactions: CID and wrhii
F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
I'm happy to report the throttle body intake tubes are clean. I did find the slightest bit of dust in there, but now that this has come to light I will inspect it periodically.

Most all of my riding is in a dry, dusty environment.

View attachment 187838

So far so good.

View attachment 187839

Close up of the top intake tube

View attachment 187840

Just a bit of residue inside of the lower tube

View attachment 187841

I have no way of knowing if that was like that before my filter change or not. I lurked on this site for a few months before buying my Talon so I was aware of the stock air filter getting dirty very quickly thanks to guys like @IDIOT and @hondabob who changed the intake location with different versions to cleaner air than the stock location. I used the same method as IDIOT to have a pre-filter in cleaner air to supply the airbox. I bought the SYA Warrior Snorkel kit and just put a K&N universal cone filter in place of the SYA's long snorkel. I also put a Filterwears pre-filter screen over the K&N.

View attachment 187842

This is how my stock Honda air filter looks after the last 400+ miles with the above set up.

View attachment 187843

This is what the dirty side of the airbox looks like.

View attachment 187844

I bought my Talon with just over 200 miles on it so the original air filter wasn't pre-filtered the entire time. When I first checked it, it was kind of dirty and I cleaned it a bit then re-installed it right before adding the higher intake with the K&N filter. I had a new filter on hand but wanted to see how the K&N set up worked.
This is about how it looked when I first got my Talon and that's a current picture of it with about 1000 total miles. It didn't get noticeably dirtier but I changed it along with the oils at about 1000 miles.

View attachment 187845

Running any kind of snorkel kit to get the intake in cleaner air than the stock location of the wheel well will result in much longer service life of the air filter. The channel that the air filter sits in has a rubber foam gasket, and the airbox lid also has the same type of gasket for a positive seal. A new Honda air filter comes with both of those foam gaskets. So unless both of those gaskets were removed from the airbox, I don't know how that much dirt/dust could get past the filter like was shown in the video. Maybe the particle separator was improperly installed, maybe the airbox lid wasn't secured, I don't know. From what I can see it's very difficult to have that much dust getting past a properly installed filter and lid.

I routinely coat the dirty internal side of the air box with grease and the sealing points around the cover as well. and the intake boots get a thin coat . That helps to seal any points where there is a junction and the grease collects dust to help out the filter's job. Any micro find dust that does get past will get caught by the grease on the intake tubes going in to the engine. I figure every bit helps is my theory. When I service the filter you would be surprised to see how much dust the grease collects.

jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Here are a series of videos that Ray Horvath put on his YouTube channel regarding his experience that ultimately led to him switching to a Kawasaki KRX 1000.

The first video is the same video that's in post #1 of this thread (just putting them all here in chronological order to make things simple):

Initial Video:

Update Video (Video #2)

Kawasaki KRX Video (Explains final issues with Honda at 11:30 mark)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!