P1000 Tire recommendations for my conditions

C

cgrandahl64

Nov 19, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi Guys,
I have read countless tire and wheel combo posts and am having a hard time deciding. So many people with so many good/bad things to say makes it dang hard!

I ride a lot of gravel roads and woods trails. Some mud, not deep but usually sticky field mud and muddy trails in the spring. A lot of snow riding and I also use my machine for snow blowing. (I have a 66” Bercomac for it and that kicks ass).

I ride with a friend with the same machine, and he has bighorns 2.0. I have been impressed except for the howling on hardpack and in some of the snow/mud combos we ride in they have packed up/didn’t clean out and he ended up with slicks until he could clear the tires.

My machine is an 18 EPS with 1750 miles, so I cannot complain about the OEM tires, they have done their job. Time for an upgrade and sometimes I wish there were only a few options!

Because of the snow riding I am thinking Big Lugs, with large spacing, and some sort of center contact for the road use. Frontline ACP’s in 28x10x14 on all four corners is where I am leaning. I considered Super Swampers, but I like the idea of a softer rubber – most of my snow blowing is done on concrete/asphalt and it can be hard to get grip when there is a bit of ice.

If I had to rank requirements it would be

1: Snow, deep snow and ice traction
2: Gravel roads and hardpack, decent handling
3: Minimize road howl
4: Mud

Please let me know what you think.

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Brother, that's a loaded question lol. Like you said, there are more tire questions in the search than the amount of dementia pills Biden takes daily 🤣you just have to try a tire and see what works for you. There is no perfect tire just a lot of opinions that will confuse you. That's why we have so many threads on the subject. I now run a LT M/S tire for snow,mud and rock and love them but they might not be right for you? My Talon has carnivores, I like them for that but not for my P1K5. For example, @Plumber32 has tried so many tires, he should be pd as a spokesperson Lol

Also, see you've been on here a while and only a few post and no Intro, so Welcome. We like pics im sure you know being here since 18', and we haven't seen any.
Pics Or It Didn't Happen! ;)

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Hi Guys,
I have read countless tire and wheel combo posts and am having a hard time deciding. So many people with so many good/bad things to say makes it dang hard!

I ride a lot of gravel roads and woods trails. Some mud, not deep but usually sticky field mud and muddy trails in the spring. A lot of snow riding and I also use my machine for snow blowing. (I have a 66” Bercomac for it and that kicks ass).

I ride with a friend with the same machine, and he has bighorns 2.0. I have been impressed except for the howling on hardpack and in some of the snow/mud combos we ride in they have packed up/didn’t clean out and he ended up with slicks until he could clear the tires.

My machine is an 18 EPS with 1750 miles, so I cannot complain about the OEM tires, they have done their job. Time for an upgrade and sometimes I wish there were only a few options!

Because of the snow riding I am thinking Big Lugs, with large spacing, and some sort of center contact for the road use. Frontline ACP’s in 28x10x14 on all four corners is where I am leaning. I considered Super Swampers, but I like the idea of a softer rubber – most of my snow blowing is done on concrete/asphalt and it can be hard to get grip when there is a bit of ice.

Your #1 and #4 preferences means you will have to live with the awful road howl.

Tensor Regulators and similar tread patterns will provide good snow and mud traction without howl but if your priorities are snow and mud traction you may as well keep your oem tires.

No tires will provide ice traction unless you add metal studs or use chains.

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Your #1 and #4 preferences means you will have to live with the awful road howl.

Tensor Regulators and similar tread patterns will provide good snow and mud traction without howl but if your priorities are snow and mud traction you may as well keep your oem tires.

No tires will provide ice traction unless you add metal studs or use chains.
How have the regulators been treating you? Hopefully they fixed the road noise you had.

Reactions: Lady01
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
First let me say I take no credit for discovering the Tensor Regulators. Other members recommended them.

I am completely satisfied with them. They are relatively quiet on pavement - silent compared to the cheap aggressive oem tires.

My buggy is only used on pavement and an occasional short ride on a smooth and dry dirt road so it has not been in the mud with the oem or Tensor tires.

I bought the Tensors after winter snows were gone so I have only driven it on dry pavement but the tread is a copy of a brand name mud and snow tire for light trucks so I'm confident they'll be fine in snow or muddy roads.

If your driving will include deep mud or snow I don't have any advice. I have no experience.

C

cgrandahl64

Nov 19, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Some pics!
Thats the extent of my mudding - usually happens with beer, so maybe getting stuck sooner is a good thing so I dont wreck parts!
The bercomac snowblower really gets it done. It makes the machine long, so you have to be smart turning, but it will throw snow straight over the pole shed - I can literally drive straight towards the door and it just launches it!

20190608 203659 20191214 112437

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
sounds like you need more than 1 set of tires.i have bighorns,traxion alphas and a set of camso tracks,because there's no such thing as the perfect tire.i also have 3 sets for my truck. 🤣 .tire addiction?
Willing to go with tire addiction and avoid using the word fetish.
(Oops, just did . . .)

• Haha
Reactions: Lady01 and Coeus
05Willys

05Willys

Apr 21, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Still running stockies on my Pioneer. I have a set of Sedona Ripsaws on my Rubicon. Those tires have never disappointed me in deep snow or deep mud. With 1 1/8" deep tread, they have great traction and clean out well. There is a set of these shoes in my P1K-5's future. There are many good tires out there, all have their good and bad. There is no perfect tire for all conditions but the Ripsaws are the tire of choice for my all around riding.

X001

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've had my eye on Kanati Mongrels for mixed on-road, snow and rock climbing use. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Some pics!
Thats the extent of my mudding - usually happens with beer, so maybe getting stuck sooner is a good thing so I dont wreck parts!
The bercomac snowblower really gets it done. It makes the machine long, so you have to be smart turning, but it will throw snow straight over the pole shed - I can literally drive straight towards the door and it just launches it!

View attachment 296772 View attachment 296774
Congrats on the rig and thanks for the pics! Looks to me that you need to start with a Roof and a windshield before you buy some tires. That thing is naked! 🥳

Y

Yakman

Mar 7, 2021
WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi Guys,

I ride mostly gravel logging roads around my place. The stock front wheels didn't grab very well on corners. I went with the Sedona ripsaw tires and got the rims too. They grab awesome on gravel and cut the road noise down to almost nothing. Super pleased with them.

Capture

C

cgrandahl64

Nov 19, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ended up with 28x10x14 XTR370 on all 4 corners with 5+2 Tusk Beartooth wheels all the way around. I am waiting for the delivery of the 1" spacers for the rear tires so I can keep the wheel width the same.
About 200 miles of trails and gravel and yardwork. I am super happy. Very quiet and smooth on hardpack, they do not throw gravel around when I'm on the dirt roads and the woods riding has been great. Got into some mud, and they did not clog up and gave me plenty of traction. Some yard work yielded great results too - they did not tear the grass up.
Im excited to get into the snow and see how they do. Will post an update after the first good snow run.

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Still running stockies on my Pioneer. I have a set of Sedona Ripsaws on my Rubicon. Those tires have never disappointed me in deep snow or deep mud. With 1 1/8" deep tread, they have great traction and clean out well. There is a set of these shoes in my P1K-5's future. There are many good tires out there, all have their good and bad. There is no perfect tire for all conditions but the Ripsaws are the tire of choice for my all around riding.

View attachment 296962
I’m running these on my P1K5 very happy with how they perform and tougher than hell.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!