HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I had my new tires installed this morning. After asking at least a dozen questions and reading probably 100 responses, suggestions, and advice I finally made a purchase.

I bought a set of four Tensor Regulators in size 28x10x14, a pair of RB3 1" spacers for the rear axles, and had a small local tire and oil change shop near my home install them. My Pioneer 1000 is a base model but I had purchased a set of 14" Deluxe aluminum wheels from Shawnee Honda's ebay store a few months ago.

The new tires are a terrific improvement. Even better than I had hoped. They are quiet, perfectly balanced and smooth at 50 mph, and grip is much better in curves due to greater rubber contact. The 28" tires are noticeably visibly larger than stock and look good on the buggy but are not big enough to change the gearing enough to notice. The Tensor tires clear everything without lift kits, new A arms, or further modifications.

I'm surprised that I don't hear any tire roar or even hum at highway speed. All I hear now is mechanical engine and gear train noises.

The local "good old boys" at the small WV tire shop charged me $56.xx to mount and balance four tires, and install the rear axle spacers!! I expected to pay $25 or $30 per wheel plus another $30 or $40 to install the spacers. You "gotta" love WV.

While I was waiting for the shop to take in my buggy a hard-working local man was delivering tires to the shop and started a conversation about my Pioneer. He had just bought one. He asked what I was going to do with the take-off tires. They only have about 1200 miles on them. I didn't want to store them so told him I would take $10 each for them. He handed me two $20s and we were both happy.

To all of you who patiently answered my many questions, posted photos of your buggies, and offered endless explanations and advice I offer my sincere thank you. I'm very pleased with the result.

That's the great value of forums like the Honda Side by Side Club. Experienced guys helping newcomers with the benefit of your experience. Your guidance allowed me to avoid dumb choices and wasted money!

Last edited:
Lochsa88

Lochsa88

Apr 13, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had my new tires installed this morning. After asking at least a dozen questions and reading probably 100 responses, suggestions, and advice I finally made a purchase.

I bought a set of four Tensor Regulators in size 28x10x14, a pair of RB3 1" spacers for the rear axles, and had a small local tire and oil change shop near my home install them. My Pioneer 1000 is a base model but I had purchased a set of 14" Deluxe aluminum wheels from Shawnee Honda's ebay store a few months ago.

The new tires are a terrific improvement. Even better than I had hoped. They are quiet, perfectly balanced and smooth at 50 mph, and grip is much better in curves due to greater rubber contact. The 28" tires are noticeably visibly larger than stock and look good on the buggy but are not big enough to change the gearing enough to notice. The Tensor tires clear everything without lift kits, new A arms, or further modifications.

I'm surprised that I don't hear any tire roar or even hum at highway speed. All I hear now is mechanical engine and gear train noises.

The local "good old boys" at the small WV tire shop charged me $56.xx to mount and balance four tires, and install the rear axle spacers!! I expected to pay $25 or $30 per wheel plus another $30 or $40 to install the spacers. You "gotta" love WV.

While I was waiting for the shop to take in my buggy a hard-working local man was delivering tires to the shop and started a conversation about my Pioneer. He had just bought one. He asked what I was going to do with the take-off tires. They only have about 1200 miles on them. I didn't want to store them so told him I would take $10 each for them. He handed me two $20s and we were both happy.

To all of you who patiently answered my many questions, posted photos of your buggies, and offered endless explanations and advice I offer my sincere thank you. I'm very pleased with the result.

That's the great value of forums like the Honda Side by Side Club. Experienced guys helping newcomers with the benefit of your experience. Your guidance allowed me to avoid dumb choices and waster money!
Pictures? or did it ever really happen? haha

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I knew someone would post the familiar "pictures or it didn't happen" so I was outside taking a few.

IMG 1948 IMG 1949 IMG 1951 IMG 1952 IMG 1953

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Thanks. I didn't realize the wheels are the LE style. I asked Shawnee for the type with polished aluminum spokes. Most people want the solid black now so he said okay.

ch33br0h

ch33br0h

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2018
Jardín, Antioquia - Colombia, South America!
Ownership

1. 1000-5
four Tensor Regulators in size 28x10x14,

a set of 14" Deluxe aluminum wheels from Shawnee Honda's ebay store a few months ago.
@HBarlow ,
I'm curious, the rims are the stock sizes with the fronts being more narrow than the rears?
have you seen any negative effects to having a wider tire on the front and/or being more narrow in the rear?

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
None whatsoever. If you ask and read lots of threads and posts on the subject you'll find that almost every member who has replaced his oem cheapo tires is using all four in same size with spacers at rear.

H

Hardwaterflyer

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2015
West Central Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have had this exact tire-spacer setup for almost 3 years on my 2018 P1000-5 Deluxe Camo. Have 800 miles on them driving mostly trails and gravel roads. Drive also on some pavement to get to lake access for winter fishing. They show little wear. Very happy with this setup.

ch33br0h

ch33br0h

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-5
life is funny!
I've been running the Tusk Terrabites for a few years now and suddenly the importation cost has nearly tripled.
Started looking at local inventory and found some IPT Coyotes and the new BF Goodrich KM3,
The KM3 has some impressive numbers on load capacity, the price is good -but are only available in 28x10x14.
I hesitated and instead purchased the Coyotes at stock sizing,-then found this post.

No regrets, just figured I'll get them next time...
welp, the shop called said they only had 3 coyotes in stock and boom, I got my second chance.

(4) KM3 at 28x10x14 have started their journey out to me!

Reactions: 05Willys and CID
mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can you report on how these work in mud. NOT mud-bog mud, but normal "Trail" mud. Many people say that tires like these just slick over and do not clean very well. I am looking for an alternate to my 6 ply Buckhorn 2.0, but want a tire that works in some "normal" mud. Any thoughts?

Reactions: 05Willys
ch33br0h

ch33br0h

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can you report on how these work in mud.
are you asking about the Tensor Regulators that started this thread or the BFGoodrich KM3?

I can also add that I deal with mud often , Im in what is known as a high altitude rain forest.
but mud on our "roads" not like the hardcore mud boggin you see on youtube.

The Terrabytes Def get caked with mud at at times I just have to give it all and spin a bit as I go uphill.
But I need something that is not super aggressive cause if I rip up the "road" then I also own the maintenance of it.

Reactions: 05Willys
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
If the question was about the Tensor Regulators - I'm sorry, I can't answer your question. My buggy wouldn't know what to do if I drove it in mud. It's only seen black top roads. It has an easy life as my car.

H

Hardwaterflyer

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2015
West Central Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have run the Tensor Regulators in the mud here in Minnesota during Deer Hunting season and they worked fine. Our trails here are lined with trees to help winch out if we get stuck but there are a few places I avoid. They work good in the snow but they will dig you down to the frame easily so its backup or winch out forward. I plow snow too and they carry the added plow weight with no trouble. When winter gets tough I put the "Mattracks" on.

Reactions: ch33br0h

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!