P1000 Took my Pioneer 1000 ice fishing in Canada, had issues, have questions

H

Hotlz

Aug 22, 2020
Pelican rapids, mn
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 2020 pioneer 1000-3 with only 300 miles on it. Just put tracks on it and took it up to lake winnipeg ice fishing. Had some issues I have not encountered before and thought i'd see if anyone in the forum has some insight.

First morning, drove 11 miles out onto the lake and fished for several hours. It was -15 F temp. Fire it up to move spots and when I put it into gear from park it would instantly die every time. Happened over and over. Thought we were gonna have to get towed in, but a buddy of mine mentioned he had a friend with a pioneer and tracks so we called him. He said he's had that happen before to him. Said to put it in low gear, put it in turf mode, and then start it and try it. That worked, thank goodness. Somehow putting it in turf mode disengages something because when i tried to start it in 4x4 mode and low, it wouldn't start, but in turf mode it would. I'm guessing something froze up after getting good and warm on the way out and then sitting, and then somehow the turf mode trick disengages something so that the machine will move. Anyone have thoughts on what happened here?

Secondly, the power steering light was coming on and off randomly throughout the trip. I would start it in the morning, light would be off. Drive to a spot, light would be off. Shut machine off, fish, and then start it to move. Light would be on. Some mornings when I started it, it would be on right away. No idea what's going on here. I should also mention I put a brand new freshly charged heavy duty interstate AGM battery in it before I left for the trip. I checked voltage when I got home and it was at 12.94v.

Lastly, in Auto transmission, sometimes it would upshift and then kinda hunt around for the right gear before it would engage and then be alright until it needed to upshift again. Seemed to fish around for the right gear sometimes. I ran it in manual mode the rest of the trip and it was a non-issue in manual mode.

Thanks for the help.

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2020 pioneer 1000-3 with only 300 miles on it. Just put tracks on it and took it up to lake winnipeg ice fishing. Had some issues I have not encountered before and thought i'd see if anyone in the forum has some insight.

First morning, drove 11 miles out onto the lake and fished for several hours. It was -15 F temp. Fire it up to move spots and when I put it into gear from park it would instantly die every time. Happened over and over. Thought we were gonna have to get towed in, but a buddy of mine mentioned he had a friend with a pioneer and tracks so we called him. He said he's had that happen before to him. Said to put it in low gear, put it in turf mode, and then start it and try it. That worked, thank goodness. Somehow putting it in turf mode disengages something because when i tried to start it in 4x4 mode and low, it wouldn't start, but in turf mode it would. I'm guessing something froze up after getting good and warm on the way out and then sitting, and then somehow the turf mode trick disengages something so that the machine will move. Anyone have thoughts on what happened here?

Secondly, the power steering light was coming on and off randomly throughout the trip. I would start it in the morning, light would be off. Drive to a spot, light would be off. Shut machine off, fish, and then start it to move. Light would be on. Some mornings when I started it, it would be on right away. No idea what's going on here. I should also mention I put a brand new freshly charged heavy duty interstate AGM battery in it before I left for the trip. I checked voltage when I got home and it was at 12.94v.

Lastly, in Auto transmission, sometimes it would upshift and then kinda hunt around for the right gear before it would engage and then be alright until it needed to upshift again. Seemed to fish around for the right gear sometimes. I ran it in manual mode the rest of the trip and it was a non-issue in manual mode.

Thanks for the help.
Holtz,
I had tracks on my P700, The only problem was auto shifting. I'm guessing the computer gets messed up with high RPM and slow MPH I just went to paddle shifting with tracks. I now have a P1000, It does not like starting when it real cold (I have not added a second battery yet). Shifting is off for the first few minutes when its cold, once it warms up I have no trouble running in automatic. Thanks for the turf mode start tip, I'll have to remember that if I run into that problem. The only thought with the power steering is slush build up that freezes when you stop for a while. Do you still have the PS problem? or the starting problem?

Joe

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

Thanks for the help.
They liked to be warmed up before movement in those Temps. Lots of sensors in the DCT and what not.

Post up some pics with track's Not many of those. What kind do u have?

P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
They liked to be warmed up before movement in those Temps. Lots of sensors in the DCT and what not.

Post up some pics with track's Not many of those. What kind do u have?
I agree 100% on this, when i'm in really cold weather i always warm it up to at least 1 bar on the temp gauge, if i don't the tranny seems to slip a bit .............

H

Hotlz

Aug 22, 2020
Pelican rapids, mn
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I only had the problem were it would kill when putting it in gear the one time. After that it was fine, never happened again. He time it did happen, it had ran for about 10 min idling while we torn down the portables to move.

The power steering issue happened intermittently except for the last day, where it never came on at all. It was also 20 above that day, dunno if that had anything to do with it.

Lastly, the transmission shifting issues happened towards the tail end of a 7 mile run. I had 3 guys in it, the back loaded with gear, and pulling a heavy portable house/sled. It only happened the one time as I ran it in manual for the remainder of the trip.

Here's a Pic with the camso 4s1 tracks. They work awesome.

20230228 152508

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I only had the problem were it would kill when putting it in gear the one time. After that it was fine, never happened again. He time it did happen, it had ran for about 10 min idling while we torn down the portables to move.

The power steering issue happened intermittently except for the last day, where it never came on at all. It was also 20 above that day, dunno if that had anything to do with it.

Lastly, the transmission shifting issues happened towards the tail end of a 7 mile run. I had 3 guys in it, the back loaded with gear, and pulling a heavy portable house/sled. It only happened the one time as I ran it in manual for the remainder of the trip.

Here's a Pic with the camso 4s1 tracks. They work awesome.

View attachment 376223
Those tracks really work well. You are brave running them with an open cab, how long did it take you to fill the cab? Mine throws a ton of snow

IMG 8627IMG 6781

Last edited:
slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Hello ,. I do run tracks when needed. I bought my machine used with 10,000 klms on it in 2020. Anyway first time out with tracks mine worked fine for the first hr or so after that it didn't want to shift properly and finally it shut down died. It would start up and idle but as soon as I put it in gear it would stall . Let it cool for 10 minutes and it would work fine for awhile then do it again. Anyway mine sits in heated shop so can't say what its like to start in cold . What I did find with mine and it didn't cost me anything is that the shift motor gets carboned up inside and doesn't work properly in the cold more then likely due to all the carbon build up on the armature. Take the shift motor off take it apart and clean everything up inside lighly use fine sandpaper on the armature to get it back to the copper color rather then it looking black. Make sure the brushes aren't worn down and everthing is clean inside before putting everything back together . The motor is a 12v motor but the computer only sends 5v to it when it shifts so if its dirty its going to give problems. [I believe they should be cleaned every 8000 klms] As for the steering light with tracks mine will throw the light on every now and then if I'm turning and keeping constant pressure on the steering wheel .I've found it best to be a little lighter on the steering wheel and not hold a constant pressure on way or the other. The steering has a protection system that shuts it down if it gets to hot. If your light comes on you'll see that your steering has gone into manual mode so if you shut down the machine and restart it will be working. Also make sure your battery is charging while riding and your not drawing out more power then what the stator is able to keep up to. eg; light bars stereo etc any extra draw is going to suck down the battery and give you drivebilty issues. If you need more info just ask .

Last edited:
H

Hotlz

Aug 22, 2020
Pelican rapids, mn
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for the replies guys.

Slowdryrider, that would require me to know what the shift motor is and where it's located. Is it hard to take apart? I'm about as handy as a glove with 4 fingers 😂

In regards to the power steering light being on, I had the thought also that maybe something was being overworked, but after letting it sit for a few hours in subzero weather and then starting it, the light was still on, so that can't be the cause.

My battery should be charging while running. The only accessory I've got is a winch, and obviously that's not running when I'm moving.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Yours is a 3 seater from your pic ,so is mine. Lift the box remove the plastic's above the motor. I've taken mine off and don't use them. The shift /control motor is on the upper right rear of the motor. The exhaust pipe is just to the right of it. It's held on with 3 10 mm bolts .Remove the wire plug then remove the 3 bolts and slide the motor out. It looks like a small starter motor. If I remember right there are a couple of bolts with allen heads . Remove them then you should beable to pull the front part of the motor off. The brushes are in the black plastic part and are inside. Just make sure it's clean inside not all crudded up inside . Check the armature where the brushes run and use a fine sand paper and get it to shine up copper color again. Putting it back together slip the brushes and black cap onto the armature and hold them in place on the armature as you put the armature back into the motor housing, the armature will want to get sucked back into the housing due to magnetism.So this is why you need to keep hold of the armature and brushes so everything goes back together . Then install the bolts and reinstall the motor.
As for the power steering light make sure your grounds are all good on the frame ,I believe there's 3 places. If possible using a voltmeter check to make sure your machine is actually charging.
Sometimes a bad battery is going to give you lots of problems so make sure the battery is of good quality. If you need more info just ask.

Plowboy1466

Plowboy1466

Lifetime Member
Feb 11, 2018
Ashland, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Definitely check the grounds. They've been a problem since day one. And I've seen a post on here that if you hold your steering wheel full send in either direction for too long that it will overheat the steering motor. Kinda like the pwr steering pump in your car that squalls when you hold it hard left or right.

H

Hotlz

Aug 22, 2020
Pelican rapids, mn
Ownership

1. 1000-3
OK, so I took the shift motor apart today. All looked good. I touched it up a little but I don't think it really needed it. And somehow by the grace of God I managed to get it back together.

I tried to check the grounds, but I could only find one; the one by the starter on the engine. I've seen the diagram with locations for grounds, but I still couldnt find the other two. Do I need to take the skid plate off to find them?

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
OK, so I took the shift motor apart today. All looked good. I touched it up a little but I don't think it really needed it. And somehow by the grace of God I managed to get it back together.

I tried to check the grounds, but I could only find one; the one by the starter on the engine. I've seen the diagram with locations for grounds, but I still couldnt find the other two. Do I need to take the skid plate off to find them?

there is one under the drivers seat it's hard to see it's near the top of the frame sort of in the corner its kinda hidden also make sure to maybe take the bolts out and clean the grounding surfaces ,make sure there tight.
You didn't mention if you checked charging of the battery. One thing you can try is connect a good battery with booster cables and take it for a ride and see if the problem still persists with the boost battery conected.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!