P500 TorQ Locker & Snow Tracks nightmare

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Nice late Saturday afternoon changed quick. Riding partner on Skido & I on P500 EPS with tracks 15 miles back in woods pulled into a clearing about 4pm.
Chatted & enjoying the sights he decided to take the long way back 12 MILE circle , I'll go back the way we came & start dinner.
He left started my P500 touched the accelerator ( nightmare ) instantly the front of the machine dropped about 5ft..40 degree angle down, back tacks barely sticking out of the hole.
Alone setting in the cab in the seat with the snow up to my shoulders just to get out of the cab is going be a problem.
I've had sleds stuck this bad wasn't fun getting them out.
With tracks on it weights about 1500lbs.+ or - always hopped this would never happen but new it could.
What to do & not make a bad situation worse?
WINCH is on the front at the bottom of a 5ft. Hole in a clearing.( not much help )
Try to back out???
Dig out of the cab with my hands crawl out a window? I carry a shovel it's in the back.( now a 3 piece emergency shovel is in the cab )
When riding partner gets back to camp he'll come looking. Ahh help. Going to be dark by then.
Just sat there for a few minutes perplexed contemplating my next move.
If I could try to rock back & forth maybe the back would settle a down little pack down help level off. Yep that's it. ( doesn't work get up early tomorrow dig it out )
Low range 1st. Gear with both front tracks having traction ( TorQ Locker ) both rear tracks have traction Honda locked rear this could work.
Be careful do not spin the tracks ( don't want to high center & add to the problem.
Start the (Little Red B!TCH ) 1st gear low range ready set try : Next thing I know I'm looking at the Sky at about 40 degree angle still in the 5ft. Hole with rear tracks at the bottom. ( at least the winch is useable )
That worked try again sure enough never strained just popped out of that hole as if only a bump in the trail. ( never spun a track or got out of the cab )
The bad no one around to document with pictures. Was not going back for 2nds.
I did get out to look at a P500 Hole.
Impressive what these little machines can do when the need arises.

Convinced Without TorQ Locker it would have been Nightmare & at least 1/2 day recovery.

Last edited:
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Nice late Saturday afternoon changed quick. Riding partner on Skido & I on P500 EPS with tracks 15 miles back in woods pulled into a clearing about 4pm.
Chatted & enjoying the sights he decided to take the long way back 12 MILE circle , I'll go back the way we came & start dinner.
He left started my P500 touched the accelerator ( nightmare ) instantly the front of the machine dropped about 5ft..40 degree angle down, back tacks barely sticking out of the hole.
Alone setting in the cab in the seat with the snow up to my shoulders just to get out of the cab is going be a problem.
With tracks on it weights about 1500lbs.+ or - always hopped this would never happen but new it could.
WINCH is on the front at the bottom of a 5ft. Hole in a clearing.( not much help )
Try to back out???
Dig out of the cab with my hands crawl out a window? I carry a shovel it's in the back.( now a 3 piece emergency shovel is in the cab )
When riding partner gets back to camp he'll come looking. Ahh help. Going to be dark by then.
If I could try to rock back & forth maybe the back would settle a down little pack down help level off. Yep that's it. ( doesn't work get up early tomorrow dig it out )
Low range 1st. Gear with both front tracks having traction ( TorQ Locker ) both rear tracks have traction Honda locked rear this could work.
Be careful do not spin the tracks ( don't want to high center & add to the problem.
Start the (Little Red B!TCH ) 1st gear low range ready set try : Next thing I know I'm looking at the Sky at about 40 degree angle still in the 5ft. Hole with rear tracks at the bottom. ( at least the winch is useable )
That worked try again sure enough never strained just popped out of that hole as if only a bump in the trail. ( never spun a track or got out of the cab )

Convinced Without TorQ Locker it would have been Nightmare & at least 1/2 day recovery.
Where are you at to get that much snow?

Reactions: Mudder and EMAW
EMAW

EMAW

Mama Tried!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Try to back out???

Interesting story!! Thanks for sharing!! I’ve been in a few holes/predicaments myself! We just never know when Mother Nature is going to try and challenge us and test our luck and common sense!! Lol

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!