BOX1

Towing capacity test

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
Been interested in testing the towing capacity lately, the weather was nice today so I loaded my tractor onto the 6.5 x12' trailer and gave it a go.

Suprising power and stable feel, even with "too" heavy of a load. (Roughly 1,700lbs on the trailer) I hopped onto pavement for a short run to the back of the property, and it even accelerated very well.

Really happy with the results, I knew it would pull it, but did not expect it to feel as stable as it did, nor accelerate that well.

This things a beast!

Photo11 1

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow binfordw. I'm impressed just from the picture. I havent put my P4 to a load test just yet but plan too sometime. I glad it accelerated very well. I too would of figured with a heavy load it would have it sit more then that and be terrible with the pull. I have heard the Big Red could pull a load also but never seen it. Cant wait till I give it a pull.

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
With mirrors, and some kind of trailer lights, I wouldn't hesistate to pull it a few miles on country roads when needed. It did that well.

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
good ole honda right there i doubt a rubber band driven unit would be very good at pulling that much of a load and nice little agco (iseki) binford

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You MUST be mistaken, it only has a 1500lb towing capacity. That is a cardboard cutout.

R

Redrider

Jun 3, 2013
That is a load. Ya I wonder if a belt could pull that?

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
ohanacreek said:
You MUST be mistaken, it only has a 1500lb towing capacity. That is a cardboard cutout.

I assume the 1500lbs they rate it at includes the trailers weight, wouldn't it? Including the trailers weight, its closer to 2800lbs :D

If the 1500lb rating is trailer+load, they really undershot the limits, You'd barely notice that much behind the machine.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've had my 3500lb rated trailer overloaded with axle touching frame (tree trunks limbs just moving them 50-100 yards to a burn pile) and it struggles but it pulls it. It has torque maybe not a lot of speed but that's not why I bought it. I bought it to trail ride and work hard.

B

binfordw

Oct 15, 2013
bigc said:
good ole honda right there i doubt a rubber band driven unit would be very good at pulling that much of a load and nice little agco (iseki) binford

Thanks BigC, That little tractor was my number one best purchase ever, perhaps before the Honda, thats up for debate! Its a hard working machine for sure.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Now that's impressive! Now everyone knows why Honda 1st gears are so low, once you get it rolling the rest is easy. I would hate to try and stop that load downhill on a gravel road though :confused:

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I assume the 1500lbs they rate it at includes the trailers weight, wouldn't it? Including the trailers weight, its closer to 2800lbs :D

If the 1500lb rating is trailer+load, they really undershot the limits, You'd barely notice that much behind the machine.

Yep that is the trailer and the load total. They rate them more due to braking and steering than pulling. They need to cover themselves for the guy that goes down a steep slope and hangs a 90 degree bend at the bottom with a trailer behind him. When the trailer out weights the machine by enough it would push the machine and possibly cause an accident so they rate them low. I some times pull 3k trailers up my gravel driveway with my Mule without any issues but sure would not want to take it over my back hill with that load on it.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Doing work I like it!

SuperYeti

SuperYeti

May 11, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Ownership

1. 700-4
Did some logging with the new trailer I built this spring, at one point had the bed of the 700 loaded to the ROPS with bucked rounds, and then the trailer piled higher than pictured here with lots of big wet heavy forest debris:
20170611 095159

Truck was tied up with the TT and had to do the shuffle, the 700 pulled and maneuvered it quite nicely, even on my relatively steep street. The boat as pictured with trailer is probably north of 2000 lbs.
IMG 20170723 174338

Last edited:
JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
I like your setup and plan to do the same, on my new to me 700-4! I need a work force and think the machine will handle it.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ask @Plumber32 about the p1k5 towing capacity lol!
Um well my truck is 7,000 lbs we had 6-700lbs in the bed, a 2000lb pioneer on a 20' steel car hauler. And @moparornocar pulled it like nothing

Reactions: moparornocar
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Um well my truck is 7,000 lbs we had 6-700lbs in the bed, a 2000lb pioneer on a 20' steel car hauler. And @moparornocar pulled it like nothing
It’s all about throttle control. Bump it til the clutch grabs solid and go!

Reactions: Plumber32
Vato

Vato

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2015
Towing/hauling heavy loads heavier than our Pioneer's is a dicey proposition especially doing so at high speeds. I have towed heavy equipment/vehicles with mine around the farm back to the barn at slow speed. Go slow we have three small brake assemblies and they do fail! Plus the heavy weight of towed vehicle will push the Pioneer around and trailer hitches have been ripped off our beloved 700's. Recently I was on a steep hill on a pipeline project with 4 Pipeliners in the 700 and the brake peddle went to the floor after I had crested the hill and started down. I instinctively pumped the peddle fast a couple of times and it stopped and the E-brake worked. Backed up to the top and upon inspection the left front outer brake caliper was leaking and the brake pad was MIA...not there....gone! New rotor, flat filing the caliper puck and a new pads all around good as gold. I figure the issue was the upper control arm mount had partially separated from the frame (see my post of the fix) and somehow was applying the brake burning up the pads on the left side(?) I did not notice the brake pad dragging and was surprised that it had failed as the pad on the opposite of the caliper was good as well as the other brake pads on the rig.
Moral of the story? Tow slow and inspect your brake pads often.

Last edited:
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!