BOX1

Trouble with Honda Rubicon

W

Winterrider

Aug 25, 2018
North.Dakota
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Here is my issue. A couple weeks ago while icefishing, I broke through some slush with my tracks on and got the atv pretty wet. Was able to get it shoveled out and went back, loaded up and went home. Put the atv in heated garage and let thaw out for A couple days. Couple days later went fishing, started up right away and got out to my spot. Fished for a couple hrs with no luck. Went to start and had absolutely nothing. Lights work, battery is brand new. No spark and no "neutral" light indicator. Set my hub house over top of it and heated with sunspot heater. Something thawed out enough, neutral light came on and started right up. Took home and had heat and fans on for couple more days. Worked flawlessly for next 4 days. Then again yesterday it Was a frosty day, same thing started right away. But. Couple hrs later, no neutral indicator. Used rope and come along to get on trailer. Dried out, worked fine. My question is what sensor operates the neutral indicator, apparently it is a safety shutoff somehow, because as soon as it illuminates back on the pod, it will start. Sorry for the long post but kinda had to explain situation.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@HondaTech any ideas that may help with resolving his issue above?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I dont have much advice....
But what year is it?

Gear position switch most likley determines N.
Did the display come on? Did it show D R N or "--". ?

Reactions: Isaiah
W

Winterrider

Aug 25, 2018
North.Dakota
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
It is a 2004.
It did not show anything when key is turned on, just the red temp light illuminates and then goes out.
Would the shift angle sensor have anything to do with the neutral indicator?

W

Winterrider

Aug 25, 2018
North.Dakota
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
When I was using heat gun on regulator , and other electrical connections, when I got to this sensor after warming slightly, neutral light came on and started. I think this is the speed sensor though. Don't know if it was coincidental that maybe something else warmed up ?
20200125 115825

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I owned a 2001 and have the service manual
I'll take a look shortly.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
On the inside of black boot for the rear on-point is where the gear position sensor is... having trouble finding a good pic.
91422f0693c97a98ec428136e55084f1.jpg

H

HondaTech

Late to the game, but I'll throw my hat into the ring, lol.

These models are bad about moisture and corrosion getting into the gear position switch connector that @Hondasxs posted a photo of. That switch works by grounding a wire for each gear when in that particular gear. Neutral will be a light green with a red stripe.

Without the neutral signal from the position switch the solenoid also has no ground, that's the reason you had issues with it starting. But that model should start in gear if you hold the front brake in.

W

Winterrider

Aug 25, 2018
North.Dakota
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks @HondaTech , if and when it happens again I will try that if I haven't been able to figure anything else out. It didn't even have spark when tried to use the rope pull before. I have taken a lot of the wire connections apart, dried, and dielectric greased.

W

Winterrider

Aug 25, 2018
North.Dakota
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Rubicon worked alright today. Was kinda misty, foggy again also. Moved around 4 times out fishing and started fine. Between a couple moves, I noticed that the reverse light was on while traveling forward. It only did it the one time.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!