Undercoating

Aerolite

Aerolite

Jan 10, 2021
Oxford Mills ON
Ownership

1. 500
I have 158km's on my new P520 and have found rust in some of the tubes already. I am kinda disappointed that Honda hasn't done more to prevent this with happening as we pay a lot of money for these machines. Mine has only had melting snow and one pressure wash so far, no salt or calcium from any roads.
I did search and see that some of you have undercoated yours. Did you just spray areas you could see and get to or did you also drill any holes in the round chassis tubes so you could get oil in those. Can always undo one of the bolts holding the roll frame together and spray down there as well.
I wire brushed out the surface rust from the parts I could see, then cleaned and sprayed in some really good etching primer. Another new P520 owner and I both discussed getting them oil sprayed and just wanted to hear what any of you have done and has it been successful. Thanks for any advice.
The two 1 1/4" tubes either side of hitch tube have been redone and other pics are the big rect tubes just inboard and forward of rear wheels.

IMG 3854IMG 3855IMG 3856IMG 3862

Last edited:
Reactions: JenElio and TxDoc
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I sprayed Fluid Film in my frame.
No need to prep or remove rust.
Smells like a wet sheep for a bit (it’s sheep’s lanolin).
Bottom line the frame will last many years with nothing, a little oil makes the surface rust stop.

M

Medic828

Sep 7, 2020
Central Ky.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Look online and purchase a can of cavity wax. It has a long tube with a nozzle that sprays in a 360 degree pattern. Put the nozzle down in any hole opening and withdraw while spraying. Body shops use it when rebuilding wrecked vehicles to coat inside surfaces they can't prime and paint.

Aerolite

Aerolite

Jan 10, 2021
Oxford Mills ON
Ownership

1. 500
I sprayed Fluid Film in my frame.
No need to prep or remove rust.
Smells like a wet sheep for a bit (it’s sheep’s lanolin).
Bottom line the frame will last many years with nothing, a little oil makes the surface rust stop.

I hadn't heard of Fluid Film, but was talking to a mechanic friend of mine who does undercoating on cars and he said don't use the oil they use for that, but use Fluid Film! He said all the salt trucks and loaders up here all get coated in that stuff. And yes, it smells like sheep he said, lol. He has a sprayer I can use for the bigger tubes but I'll get a spray can of it as well to get into tighter spots. Will just feel better knowing I've given it at least some better protection. Our roads don't get a lot of salt these days, but they are using more calcium chloride which isn't much better.

Aerolite

Aerolite

Jan 10, 2021
Oxford Mills ON
Ownership

1. 500
An update on my rust prevention. I purchased two 333g spray cans of Fluid Film. Got just about all the tubes and channels I could get too. There are lots of clips that can be removed to access inside the tubes so that went pretty good. I did make up an extension for the spray wand, but only used it in a few places. It was cool to watch this stuff attack the rusty areas on contact and just eat it up, then settle down into a good layer of coverage. I will have to wait for warmer weather so I can power wash the skid plate and other area's that are covered in dirt. Then all get those area's done.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!