P500 WE shocks.........4/10 to an 8/10

bowhunterbob

bowhunterbob

Feb 28, 2021
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 520
I recently had both front and rear WE shocks installed at my local shop on my P520. After reading some posts here, I had both front and rear shocks adjusted three clicks up from the softest setting. I run my Bighorn 2.0 tires at 8psi. I do not carry a heavy load in the bed. I would say the stock shocks are a 4/10, and the new WE shocks are an 8/10. The stock shocks when you hit a deep bump send a short wave of pain directly to your spine. The new WE shocks make that wave a longer one and doesn't jolt your spine near as hard. You will be disappointed if you think it is going to be a Cadillac kind of car suspension feel. It is not. Your brain wants to justify the cost. At this point, I feel the cost is worth the gain. Now admittedly, I only went on a short ride to check the feel. I was not on any washboard roads, and it was not an all day ride. My number may go up when I crank up the speed on rougher road for a longer ride. I am just trying to give my honest opinion on the first feel short ride for those of you thinking about pulling the trigger on them.

WE front left WE rear left 2 WE rear left 1

Last edited:
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
I have extensive time now on my Elka 1s. I've had a sampling of time on the WEs. Really liked them both.

Took both my P5s (one with the upgrade, one without) on a ride to TN. A friend went along who drove both. He intimated that he'd really rather not run the one on stock shocks. :)

On the other hand, I know a P5 owner who has had time on each of them and has decided, for now, to stick with stock.

Worth it, IMO.

Last edited:
S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
You’ll like em even more as you use them. After I had them a short time I spent a couple hours on a local trail I regularly take that is both high and low speed and kept messing with settings including air pressure. The ‘sweet spot’ is still kind of a compromise but your spine always says thank you…….

R

Rdrcr

Aug 16, 2022
WA
Ownership

1. 520
The WE's also get better with speed....they love speed.

I'm happy with mine and I definitely think they're worth the investment.

Mike

silvertrd09

silvertrd09

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
I am going to disagree with you. The WE's definitely gave me a Cadillac ride. I'm also in the camp of faster riding is where they really pay off. I ride in some rough country. They are night and day difference from stock Shocks. You need to go ride around some more. More than satisfied with mine.

J

John Mc

Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2023
Vermont
Ownership

1. 520
Is there any point in considering a shock upgrade for a P520 used mainly for work in the woods? I don't do long trail rides, and I could probably run 90% of the time with the seat belt unbuckled and not hit the speed limiter. I'm mostly on trails, and only occasionally off on more rugged terrain. Usually carrying tools in the back and towing a small trailer. I'm sort of thinking my uses are slow enough that it wouldn't add much, but I'd consider it if folks with more experience thought it was worth looking in to.

Last edited:
Reactions: 906UP
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
I really like my Elka 1s at low to moderate speeds. They begin to feel lacking at higher speeds and rougher terrain, IMO. The Elka Stage 1s are non adjustable.

Most WE guys report that their shocks respond best at higher speeds. Perhaps the adjustability of the WEs can help there; I can't say.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Is there any point in considering a shock upgrade for a P520 used mainly for work in the woods? I don't do long trail rides, and I could probably run 90% of the time with the seat belt unbuckled and not hit the speed limiter. I'm mostly on trails, and only occasionally off on more rugged terrain. Usually carrying tools in the back and towing a small trailer. I'm sort of thinking my uses are slow enough that it wouldn't add much, but I'd consider it if folks with more experience thought it was worth looking in to.
Former P5 owner w Elka S1's. They were hands down the best money spent on an upgrade for these little rigs.

silvertrd09

silvertrd09

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 500
For what you are describing I would say not to upgrade. But things to consider are, would you have an improvement in ride comfort? Absolutely. Does cost factor in for you? Joe Bidens economy sucks so maybe save up for them later. Also ,who rides with you? My father n law comes out to the ranch all the time. He's had major back surgery and the WE Shocks have really helped him enjoy riding around alot more and not staying in camp by himself because his back was hurting.

J

John Mc

Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2023
Vermont
Ownership

1. 520
I really like my Elka 1s at low to moderate speeds. They begin to feel lacking at higher speeds and rougher terrain, IMO. The Elka Stage 1s are non adjustable.
I did not realize they were not adjustable. I cranked my front shocks up a couple of notches when I put the snow plow on.

J

John Mc

Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2023
Vermont
Ownership

1. 520
OK. That makes more sense. If I were not able to adjust the preload that would seem like a step down from the stock shocks.

Last edited:
MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
John Mc - here is my take on this:

As silvertrd09 pointed out- what do you really want to get out of this? Can you do all the things you described that you do with your P5 without WE or Elka shock: Yes, for you have been doing it. Can you do all these things with a plusher ride? Yes, if you put on the aftermarket shocks.

Now, my experience has been over the last 5 years of owning my P500 the stock suspension performs perfectly fine when I am driving it from the house to the horse barn around the edge of our hay field and across horse pasture, just me, a passenger or loaded back rack with feed (up to 300 lbs.). Of course, this is at speeds of 0 ~ 12 MPH as well.

Take up north trail riding- does OK as long as the trail is pretty smooth and flat (75% of the time) but once the trail goes wash-board on you or has rolling woops, washes or edges, you have to be on the brakes because you will hit the limit of the stock suspension and you will be getting thrown around in the cab (that's with a seatbelt). If I take it on the ORV trail system then the speed and suspension are more limited because the trails are tighter and rougher.

I also took it out to Moab and did trails out there. I went a lot of places I did not think it could have as well as made it over some big trail obstacles I did not think it would make. However, it disappointed on the open trail between the obstacles. once that rock got un-even or a lot of ledges, the stock suspension hit its limit quick and I was bouncing off the shoulder bar and door to the point of being bruised pretty good on my left upper arm and left knee. Wished I had the Elka's or WE's that trip.

For the majority of what I use my P5 for, I don't really need the better shocks. At this point I do not use the machine enough for trail riding to justify the investment of the good suspension. Do I WANT the better suspension- Yes! Do I need it? No.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
With most accessories really, if you can afford it then it's worth it. WE's are by far better than stock, but are they worth what we paid for them? I thought they were expensive as hell, I paid half that much for Bilstein's for a 3/4 ton truck. But I'd most likely do it again. Kind of like spending $5k for a vacation. The moment I'm digging my toes into warm sand and hearing the ocean, it was worth it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!