Welding on machine

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm getting ready to have some welding done and some it will have to be when the metal piece is attached to the frame of the machine. I plan of disconnecting the battery before welding. Question is, is this all I need to do to be make sure I dont' damage any electrical components?

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm getting ready to have some welding done and some it will have to be when the metal piece is attached to the frame of the machine. I plan of disconnecting the battery before welding. Question is, is this all I need to do to be make sure I dont' damage any electrical components?
That should be all you need to do depending on where on the buggy you are welding.
If you are welding close to any electronic components try and use a shield of some sort at a damp rag to cover them.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Make sure you have a clean welding surface and a clean grounding surface as near the welded area as possible. Disconnect the battery. I have welded on my machine from front to back without issue

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Why do you have to disconnect the battery?
I disconnect the battery to prevent the power transmission from the weld to go through the electrical system. Yes, electricity generally takes the path of least resistance but if you have a poor connection it may travel through the entire chassis. For instance, if you accidentally grounded the rock slider but welded on the frame, the power transmission could go through anything connected to the frame and rock slider. Ideally, you wouldn't do this but if you remove the circuit through the battery you are less likely to use any power source as a ground to back feed the battery or the electrical system components. In general you are limiting the path of travel for the current applied to the chassis in the welding process.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I've welded a bunch with all hooked up in a swamp with no problem but always a good idea to unhook battery and ecu connections.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!