P1000 What fuel do y'all run in your P1000?

jasontjames

jasontjames

Lifetime Member
Apr 28, 2016
Melissa, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The 'non-ethanol' thread got me thinking. I run 93 in my P1000. My reasoning for it is that I don't use my machine every day. Sometimes it will sit for 2 weeks between rides. I normally don't use more than 3/4 of a tank of fuel when I go riding. So there is at least 1/4 tank of fuel that sits in it until I ride again. Maybe it is an old wive's tale, but I have always heard that gas will lose octane rating as it sits. I figure that putting fresh 93 octane in the tank will compensate for the lost octane rating of the fuel that has been sitting in the machine and keep me above the minimum recommended octane rating for the engine. Am I just spending money that I don't need to? For the small amount of fuel I use in my P1000 I don't really feel the hit in my wallet. Not compared to the 60-80 gallons of fuel I burn a week in my truck.

Interested in what y'all thoughts are and what y'all do.

JJ

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I try really hard to run non ethanol 93 but it's not always possible. There are two stations not too far from me that have it and I absolutely believe it's better but it's not always an option for me. I've never worried about gas for up to a few months and our Honda bikes have never had a problem with carbs sitting over the winter, seem to run just fine every year but the Yamahas do seem to have carb problems every time we've done that. Someone on here talked about using an additive that helped a lot with the ethanol but forgot who

Sent from iPhone

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I run 87. The highest I can find at most places up here is 90, but the climate is different. I've never had any problem leaving a machine sit for extended periods, but all my machines, lawnmower, etc. are kept in a garage that is heated. If I know it's going to sit idle for a few months, like the lawnmower over the winter, I add STA-BIL to a full tank and run it for a few minutes.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
DTAGG

DTAGG

Sep 11, 2015
ST GEORGE UTAH/ACCORD LAKES SEVIER COUNTY UTAH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The 'non-ethanol' thread got me thinking. I run 93 in my P1000. My reasoning for it is that I don't use my machine every day. Sometimes it will sit for 2 weeks between rides. I normally don't use more than 3/4 of a tank of fuel when I go riding. So there is at least 1/4 tank of fuel that sits in it until I ride again. Maybe it is an old wive's tale, but I have always heard that gas will lose octane rating as it sits. I figure that putting fresh 93 octane in the tank will compensate for the lost octane rating of the fuel that has been sitting in the machine and keep me above the minimum recommended octane rating for the engine. Am I just spending money that I don't need to? For the small amount of fuel I use in my P1000 I don't really feel the hit in my wallet. Not compared to the 60-80 gallons of fuel I burn a week in my truck.

Interested in what y'all thoughts are and what y'all do.

JJ
i run 91 in Utah but also use Lucas fuel additive 2oz to 10 gallon helps my fuel mileage alot. last weekend i did a 122 mile trip and used almost 4.5 gallons.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I have about 5-5gallon cans that I fill with 93 octane (not the good stuff) and add Amsoil Quickshot to it and put it in everything from mowers to Hondas! Has made a difference in fuel issues for me!

Reactions: jasontjames
Upstatefreedom

Upstatefreedom

May 25, 2016
Colton,New york
Ownership

1. 1000-3
90% of the time I run with non-ethanol 93. Might take me a few weeks to use a full tanks worth. Also use it in all my small engines. Never had any performance issues with any of them.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!