Which economical winch for 700-4

S

Southarkrob

Jul 6, 2015
I bought a new 700-4 last week and I am going to put a winch on it. I have a Warn RT4000 on my Big Red and it has been great.. but cant really afford a Warn at the moment. My best bud is a superb metal fabricator and is going to make me a winch bumper for it ( he built me an AWESOME stainless steel winch bumper for my Big Red). I have been looking at the SuperWinch Terra 45, Viper 4 or 5K and the Smittybuilt 4000 winch. (I have used Smittybuilts on some trucks and they have worked great). Any of you have any experience with these winches?? I am leaning towards Superwinch.. but have heard good things about Vipers customer service.. Thanks for the help. Robbie

Reactions: BULLDOG6
Psylas

Psylas

Apr 30, 2015
Anchorage, Alaska
I had a Viper Max on my last ride and it was great. I think this time around I will pickup a Viper Elite with synthetic cable. They are priced right.

Reactions: BULLDOG6
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
My warn Vantage 4000 with synthetic line was around $400 (much cheaper than the pro vantage series), so far it's been great. Whatever you end up getting spend the extra for synthetic line! You won't regret it

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Oh and let's see that winch bumper when it's done!!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had a Viper Max on my last ride and it was great. I think this time around I will pickup a Viper Elite with synthetic cable. They are priced right.

How well did it hold up to mud and water? I am looking at 6000lb Viper max winches for my 1000.

Psylas

Psylas

Apr 30, 2015
Anchorage, Alaska
How well did it hold up to mud and water? I am looking at 6000lb Viper max winches for my 1000.
I never really used it much but it was flawless the times I did. It's been submerged in mud and glacier silt water. I had the 5000lb on my commander. I found a deal on a Kfi Stealth 3500 with synth rope and mount. $360 shipped to my door. The Viper Elite 4000lb synth is around $525 shipped to Ak. Ohana didn't you have a Kfi Stealth? How did you like it? I'm not really looking to mud in this machine. Winch is more for "just in case". Is 3500lb enough?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I never really used it much but it was flawless the times I did. It's been submerged in mud and glacier silt water. I had the 5000lb on my commander. I found a deal on a Kfi Stealth 3500 with synth rope and mount. $360 shipped to my door. The Viper Elite 4000lb synth is around $525 shipped to Ak. Ohana didn't you have a Kfi Stealth? How did you like it? I'm not really looking to mud in this machine. Winch is more for "just in case". Is 3500lb enough?
Had the SE45 KFI, worked great but ran across the 6000lb viper on Amazon.

More can always do less, but less can't do more.
I believe someone said referencing HP.

I personally like better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Reactions: Psylas
S

Southarkrob

Jul 6, 2015
Oh and let's see that winch bumper when it's done!!
Had the SE45 KFI, worked great but ran across the 6000lb viper on Amazon.

More can always do less, but less can't do more.
I believe someone said referencing HP.

I personally like better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Here is a pic of the stainless steel bumper my buddy built for my Big Red.. it has a Warn RT4000 in it. This has been an awesome bumper and we have ran over all kind of stuff with it.

Attachments

• Big Red Bumper.png
    Big Red Bumper.png
    869.3 KB · Views: 175
Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
That is a nice job on that bumper - looks great.
As for the winch -I run a Terra 4500 on my 500 and love it.

MountainMan

MountainMan

Sep 1, 2014
Spokane Valley, Washington
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
I have owned both the Viper (on my Grizzly) and the Viper Elite (on the Pioneer), synthetic rope on both. I am a fan of the Viper, never had a problem. I really like the remote control, it makes it handy when trying to pull a deer out of the woods.

advertisement
scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
I have the superwinch terra 4500 lbs. It works great. Superwinch has a lot better warrenty than all the other brands you named.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!