Which Pioneer

D

DMZ

Feb 19, 2016
Georgia
I need input from all you pioneer owners. I will be purchasing a Pioneer n the near future. I have been fading on this forum for about a year. I will be using the Pioneer for basic yard work and duck hunting. I really like the 1000 for power and space but am concerned about low speed driving (under 4 miles per hour ) and also driving in flooded fields water usually knee to half the ivy deepI also I think the 700 is a little small on hp but does have advantages regarding low speed driving. Please provide thoughts on my dilimma.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I need input from all you pioneer owners. I will be purchasing a Pioneer n the near future. I have been fading on this forum for about a year. I will be using the Pioneer for basic yard work and duck hunting. I really like the 1000 for power and space but am concerned about low speed driving (under 4 miles per hour ) and also driving in flooded fields water usually knee to half the ivy deepI also I think the 700 is a little small on hp but does have advantages regarding low speed driving. Please provide thoughts on my dilimma.
I own a 1000. Love it. However, (IMO) for yard work and duck hunting - get the 700. Under 4 mph - again, get the 700. I can cruise at 2.5 without the clutch disengaging, but others have complained as it is more technical to drive than the others. I owned a 500 also, and I could crawl at 1 mph if I wanted to with no issue. I have heard the 700 is the same. Only downside - 700 may tear up the yard with a locked rear end. Good luck!

Reactions: joeymt33
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
If you don't need the speed above 44 mph then the 700 may be the best choice. The torque converter is amazing. The down side is on long really steep down hills the decal braking is poor if you need to go under 10 mph. I use mine for rock crawling so I can stop and inch along on the huge rocks and steps. Now for 2017 you can get it with power steering and manual or auto shifting.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Half thigh is deep for any wheeler. Hondabob is right snorkel. You will need a lift also.

I have the 700. We drive over a mile in water from 10-20 inches deep at about 6-7 MPH. I could easily creep slower.

Side Note: I bought my 700 last year just before the 1000 was released. I REALLY wanted to go back and get the 1000. But in the last year the 700 has grown on me. I don't want to change anymore.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I need input from all you pioneer owners. I will be purchasing a Pioneer n the near future. I have been fading on this forum for about a year. I will be using the Pioneer fo
I had the pioneer 700-4 for over a year. Now I have the pioneer 1000-5 . both would work for what you want to do but the 1000 is better for yard work and it's faster when you need it.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
700 I'd say 1000 if you intend on trail riding. Get power steering and you'll have a great mule!

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
No one will want to hear this but if you are going to be spending that much of your time in water that deep would it make more sense going with something amphibious like an Argo or something similar.

Constant submersion like that will require you to really increase your maintenance schedule too while something designed for it would just take it in stride.

This is something that is built not too far from where I live and they are pretty well built but expensive. But so is duck hunting. :)

Hydratrek | Amphibious Vehicles

Last edited:
advertisement
D

DMZ

Feb 19, 2016
Georgia
No one will want to hear this but if you are going to be spending that much of your time in water that deep would it make more sense going with something amphibious like an Argo or something similar.

Constant submersion like that will require you to really increase your maintenance schedule too while something designed for it would just take it in stride.

This is something that is built not too far from where I live and they are pretty well built but expensive. But so is duck hunting. :)

Hydratrek | Amphibious Vehicles
I currently have an argo and it does have its place but it is not made for yard work. My duck hunting lasts about 2 months of which I probably hunt 25 days and of the 25 days I probably will not be in water wit the utv but 15 and will be no deeper than about 3 feet max more like 2 feet deep.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I currently have an argo and it does have its place but it is not made for yard work. My duck hunting lasts about 2 months of which I probably hunt 25 days and of the 25 days I probably will not be in water wit the utv but 15 and will be no deeper than about 3 feet max more like 2 feet deep.

If you are going to be using it doing yard work, then really your only choice would be the P1000. The P700 doesn't have a turf mode so it will chew your yard up like an ATV would.

The P1000 has turf mode and for not really that much more money you can get the 5 seat version that will let you haul some of your buddies or kids with you although if you load it up completely with people you won't have any room for decoys.

Just make sure you get it snorkeled (intake and all vents) really good, I don't think as delivered it would be safe to drive in 3 ft of water.

jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R

Hi. Under 4 mph is not an issue with the 700 or the 500. I want a 1000 and will get one but dang the 700-4 Deluxe just announced would be the cats meow if it had 10 more horsepower and 10 more mph. I like the torque converter tranny.

Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
I bought a 500 use it for yard work and hunting. 700 was to wide for me from a hunting standpoint. I deer hunt a lot and I want to be able to get down any ATV trail I want to. It does not tear up my yard at all as long as you drive it right.

Reactions: jawquin
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use my 1000 for duck hunting in flooded rice and bean fields probably 40 days out of the 60 day season. I have fitted mine with a snorkel and 30" tires pretty much for that very reason. In most cases, your tires will be turning faster than 3-4mph when you're out there anyway because of the lack of traction. Mine had zero problems last season. Low in first gear was just fine for me and I was coming from a RZR 1000 HighLifter Edition that I used for the same thing and I enjoyed the pioneer much more for that use. I would be afraid of getting hung on a levee or in some ruts with anything as smaller and not having enough power to get out of a tricky situation.

Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
I use my 1000 for duck hunting in flooded rice and bean fields probably 40 days out of the 60 day season. I have fitted mine with a snorkel and 30" tires pretty much for that very reason. In most cases, your tires will be turning faster than 3-4mph when you're out there anyway because of the lack of traction. Mine had zero problems last season. Low in first gear was just fine for me and I was coming from a RZR 1000 HighLifter Edition that I used for the same thing and I enjoyed the pioneer much more for that use. I would be afraid of getting hung on a levee or in some ruts with anything as smaller and not having enough power to get out of a tricky situation.

Man I wish we had all the big timber River bottoms here in MS like Yall do in arkansas. I usually hunt the black River a couple times a year and the white. We drive to St.Francis and do a lot of coon hunting.

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
Get the 700. I just don't think the 1000 price and maybe issues is worth it. For what your going to use it for anyways. If you was wanting a trail rig the 1000 would be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk